Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Mar 16, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #691 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by V3ng3anc3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received my Little Dot I+ about 30mins ago! Burning in the stock tubes now. :]

Did you get it from David? I don't even think mines shipped yet.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #692 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by schwallman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you get it from David? I don't even think mines shipped yet.

Yeah, I ordered it directly from David, about the day they got back from Chinese New Year vacation. But it took over a week before I got my invoice because they were out of stock on some things.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #693 of 3,154
Hmm...I find it kind of hard to tell if there is an actual improvement in the sound quality through the Little Dot I+ from straight out of my D4. I think with the stock setup it sounds about the same, but a little sharp on the highs. With the CV4010+LT1364, I think it's a little more detailed but it's hard to say. It can definitely drive the Grado better, brings more of the details and instruments out, without it being turned way loud like on the D4.

Apr 4, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #695 of 3,154
Make that three in a row for the LT1364 opamp + CV4010 combo. I bought a $20 pair of Mullard CV4010 tubes from eBay (NOS, unmatched). I don't have audiophile golden ears, but with Grado 325is my eyes did
ph34r.gif
after flipping the switch and started listening. IMHO the combination is a great complement to the 325is. Bass is more defined without becoming boomy and the richness in the mids remains intact. If I had to describe it in a short phrase I would say that the combo adds fullness to the 325is' aggressiveness. I have stock 6J1 and Western Electric 408A tubes for comparison.

The Little Dot I+/LT1364/CV4010 is the perfect amp for my 325is. I too echo the "investment" sentiment given how cheap the I+ is. I don't intend to upgrade to a different amp or tube until I get my next case of headphone upgraditis. For now all that money burning a hole in my pocket is going towards expanding my music library
icon10.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #696 of 3,154
Yeah I dont see myself upgrading for a while because I really like tubes so I would want to go to a wa6 and thats just a little cheaper than my entire setup so it will be a while.

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #697 of 3,154
Hi, i'm thinking to buy a Little Dot 1+ to use it with my RS-1.

I have an idea of the kind of tube sound i could like.

Two days ago i experimented with Foobar 2000, FLAC files and a plugin called convolver.
The DAC/amp was my trusted Meier Corda 2Move.
I used the imput files "Convolver tube amps" that you can download from here:
Sjeng - chess, audio and misc. software

The imput that i prefer is:

SPL TubeVitalizer Impulse Tight High LCFilter.wav

thr mids are liquid, warm, smooth;
the bass is full but not bloathed;
the hights are silky and sweet, clear but not fatiguing.

I have always loved my RS-1 since the first time i heard them, but it seems that this tubey sound makes me like them even better!!

Can you suggest me a tube with this kind of sound?

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #698 of 3,154
I did like the Amperex branded Mullards.
Smooth detail, no edge, a lot of bass, full mids, but a light touch in the upper mids and up.

Got them here: 33Audio Vacuum Tubes-Amperex-RCA-Motorola-Sylvania

Quote:

Originally Posted by oblivious /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi all, looking at potentially getting this amp very very soon, and was wondering if any once has experience 6AK5 Pentode tubes on this amp? and how they found them. Cheers!

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #699 of 3,154
I received my Little Dot I+ in the mail yesterday. I think I was hoping for too much and am very disappointed so far...
frown.gif

I listen to classic rock and more current hard rock/metal...

I tried EF91, EF92, 408a I also tried a 1364 opamp... (I have an LME49720 that I haven't tried yet)

The classic rock sounds good because all of the revealing problems in the recording are covered up but current rock/metal sounds horrible no matter which configuration I try.

I'm sitting here with EF92 and 1364 opamp listening to the Rolling Stones and it sounds pretty good, but not versatile for other genres at all so far...

HELP
confused_face(1).gif

Any suggestions for rock/metal? (Metalica, Linkin Park, Alice In Chains)

PS. using MicroDAC fed by MacBook Pro via toslink to either 225's or RS2's. Please indicate WHERE to get the recommended tubes... I FAIL at finding these things!!

Apr 17, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #700 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my Little Dot I+ in the mail yesterday. I think I was hoping for too much and am very disappointed so far...
frown.gif

I tried EF91, EF92, 408a I also tried a 1364 opamp... (I have an LME49720 that I haven't tried yet)

The classic rock sounds good because all of the revealing problems in the recording are covered up but current rock/metal sounds horrible no matter which configuration I try.

I'm sitting here with EF92 and 1364 opamp listening to the Rolling Stones and it sounds pretty good, but not versatile for other genres at all so far...

HELP
confused_face(1).gif

PS. using MicroDAC fed by MacBook Pro via toslink to either 225's or RS2's. Please indicate WHERE to get the recommended tubes... I FAIL at finding these things!!

That's because modern rock is recorded horribly and has no dynamic range at all (Loudness war - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). The more transparent your system the more you will hear just how bad a lot of newer recordings are.

Apr 17, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #701 of 3,154
Quote:

frown.gif

HELP
confused_face(1).gif

All will sound like garbage on headphones unless you have some very distorting cans.

Try the same setup with something like Depeche Mode's Ultra, A Perfect Circle's Thirteenth Step, or Pink Floyd's Division Bell. These are all well recorded albums, in my opinion and reveal what your setup can do.

Apr 19, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #702 of 3,154
Ok... so after many, many, many hours of sampling different tubes and opamps (and thoroughly pissing off my Wife)... I've settled on the cheap Sylvania 408a and 1364 opamp.

I ordered some different 408a's as well. A matched set of WE, TungSol, and a set of 4010's on ebay to try. I spent more on tubes so far than I did for the amp!!

Oh well, guess this is what its all about.

BTW: anyone else notice that there are 47 pages to this thread but 45 shows up as the last page???

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #703 of 3,154
Quote:

Ok... so after many, many, many hours of sampling different tubes and opamps (and thoroughly pissing off my Wife)... I've settled on the cheap Sylvania 408a and 1364 opamp.

I ordered some different 408a's as well. A matched set of WE, TungSol, and a set of 4010's on ebay to try. I spent more on tubes so far than I did for the amp!!

Oh well, guess this is what its all about.

BTW: anyone else notice that there are 47 pages to this thread but 45 shows up as the last page???

It's an issue with the forum software head-fi uses.

that being said, what's the best way to test my amps dc offset? I want to make sure that my amp is going to blow my headphones out. I'm using the LT1364/408A setup right now and I've heard that offset can be high with this combo.

Also, I suppose I should order the LM4526 again to see if i can get a better unit.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #704 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that being said, what's the best way to test my amps dc offset? I want to make sure that my amp is going to blow my headphones out. I'm using the LT1364/408A setup right now and I've heard that offset can be high with this combo.

oh man... please tell me I'm not hurting my brand new RS2's

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #705 of 3,154
Quote:

oh man... please tell me I'm not hurting my brand new RS2's

LT1364 can be dangerous, I've read some people having huge offsets. I'd measure it, but I have no idea how. I imagine you'd have to remove the bottom and measure while in use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back