Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Feb 13, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #271 of 3,154
Well, it is official. I am going back to my Cambridge 340A full-time and selling the I+.
It is all about synergy. The I+ was a big srep up when I was using 80 Ohm DT770s, but the integrated amp sounds better with my 250 Ohm DT150s.
More than just Ohms are involved, though. The DT150s have several characteristics typically associated with tubes on their own (including warmth, fluid musicality, and huge soundstage.) The somewhat analytical clarity and detail of the SS amp compliments these characteristics well.

I suppose it might be worth keeping the I+ in case I change phones again eventually.

Feb 13, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #272 of 3,154
Your call pal, but for me it will be my first one-and-only home amp.
So i will only have the Fiio E3 & E5 to compare too. (Those two being SS)

Lets hope the synergy is good with my grados

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #273 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your call pal, but for me it will be my first one-and-only home amp.
So i will only have the Fiio E3 & E5 to compare too. (Those two being SS)

Lets hope the synergy is good with my grados

I have read that I+ does have excellent synergy with Grados. You should be golden!
It came as a major surprise to discover that I prefer my Cambridge with DT150s, since I quite definitely preferred the I+ with DT770s. (Of course, that could have been placebo effect caused by that "new car smell".)

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #274 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it is official. I am going back to my Cambridge 340A full-time and selling the I+.
It is all about synergy. The I+ was a big srep up when I was using 80 Ohm DT770s, but the integrated amp sounds better with my 250 Ohm DT150s.
More than just Ohms are involved, though. The DT150s have several characteristics typically associated with tubes on their own (including warmth, fluid musicality, and huge soundstage.) The somewhat analytical clarity and detail of the SS amp compliments these characteristics well.

I suppose it might be worth keeping the I+ in case I change phones again eventually.

You might keep it long enough to get everything burned in...new op amp and all...Otherwise, it was an expensive little adventure and you never reached your destination. Not saying it is the right amp for you, but you should at least let it settle down a bit. You've got how many hours on it the past 4 weeks?

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #275 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might keep it long enough to get everything burned in...new op amp and all...Otherwise, it was an expensive little adventure and you never reached your destination. Not saying it is the right amp for you, but you should at least let it settle down a bit. You've got how many hours on it the past 4 weeks?

Not that many, but I definitely prefer the Cambridge with these particular phones. What makes it a good match (as I mentioned) is extreme clarity and detail. I+ has many other good properties, but not those.

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #276 of 3,154
intoart,

I have several cans (and still want some more) and LD I+ could not do its best with all of them. With particular cans and recordings I prefer more straightforward/narrow/fair SS output of my soundcard or (rarely) old Pioneer receiver. But it's so called sinergy that stops me from any 'final' conclusions (I was also thinking "Am I right? Was this tube beast all that necessary?"). Sinergy includes cans, amp (with sinergetic tubes/op - but don't rely on rolling more than on music itself, it's crisis, after all) AND music. So, you could relax and just consider LD I+ additional filter/saturator/current amplifier with somewhat naughty 'old school' character.

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #278 of 3,154
I've got a LD I+ on order atm and I've got a couple questions.

First I've got the LT1364 in the amp section of my Zero, can I just pop it out and put in the LD?

Second I'm also having problems finding the Sylvania GB-408A tubes, are there any other places to look besides eBay or the FS forums here?

Feb 19, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #279 of 3,154
Just got this amp in earlier today, and I absolutely love it. I also ordered a LT1364 opamp. How easy is it to roll opamps? Does it just pop out, or what? Also have a pair of Mullard 8100 6AK5W Tubes on the way.

EDIT: Also just purchased some matched M8161 Mullards from Yens. Large Shield I'm guessing just by looking at the other pictures of Mullard tubes. I REALLY need to stop spending money ;_;

Feb 19, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #280 of 3,154
hey I see you have it paired with the sr80s...me too..so far Im liking it too with upgraded opamp lt1364 and GB 408a..awesome I say this coz I have the Corda Arietta and both of them are great and not clearly better than the other xxxedit (on my HPs atleast)xxxx.(except the ld gets really hot while the arietta runs cool)
Opamps are easy just use some kind of pointed tweezor or long nose pliers...make sure the indented side faces towards the front. you might have to gently bend the pins of the new opamp for it to fit

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #281 of 3,154
Hey guys

Just received my amp a few minutes ago, like DGNeo. It has been running around 5minutes now, and i have not heared any difference.

I am using it as Cowon D2 + LD I+ with 6J1 tubes + Grado sr225. I have not heared any difference so far. The "warmness" of sound so many people talk about i do not know what it means. So far I am really enjoying it though. I will keep uploading some impressions.

The led color i chose is light orange. I will upload some picts some day.

Oh and Sw33t.shuga, i am interested in how the Arietta sounds. I was about to buy that one, when I found this LD I+ amp, hybrid so i could try tubes, and cheaper than that one.

For now I will keep using the stock tubes.

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #282 of 3,154
Bullseye,
You definitely NEED to change those tubes. You will not appreciate the ld+1 with those stock tubes. As for the Arietta---its a very robust amp (build and sound). The highs and mids have that Meier signature people have been talking about (I have the Headsix but xxxnvmxxx). It has this airy quality (both tested with AD700 and sr80). I was going to say it sounds like what an SS should sound but my ears lack experience with SS desktops+tubes. I cant say what sounds better yet as I just got the Arietta but Im very excited to have it. As for the LD+1 - its a great bargain for the sound I get with the upgraded Opamp and gold brand 408as. (from not so good its now short of greatness)

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #283 of 3,154
Ok guys, I've had my LDI+ for a few months now but have not thought about getting new tubes. So here's your chance to convince me to do so!

Just some information: My primary phone that i use are my DT770 05' edition which are 250 ohms. I listen to jazz,indie rock and classical.

Will rolling tubes make a difference in sound quality? If so, how much difference? I'm looking for a drastic change from the sound with stock tubes. However I'm not prepared to spend much on the tubes, the lesser the better. Plus it has to be available on ebay or somewhere that ships to Australia.

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Ohyeah, to be honest I did not hear a big improvement with the LDI+ :/ and was kind of unsatisfied and dissapointed when i first got it, but somehow I've become used to the little amp

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #284 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys

Just received my amp a few minutes ago, like DGNeo. It has been running around 5minutes now, and i have not heared any difference.

I am using it as Cowon D2 + LD I+ with 6J1 tubes + Grado sr225. I have not heared any difference so far. The "warmness" of sound so many people talk about i do not know what it means. So far I am really enjoying it though. I will keep uploading some impressions.

The led color i chose is light orange. I will upload some picts some day.

Oh and Sw33t.shuga, i am interested in how the Arietta sounds. I was about to buy that one, when I found this LD I+ amp, hybrid so i could try tubes, and cheaper than that one.

For now I will keep using the stock tubes.

Also, 5 minutes is no where near enough time for the tubes to sound good at all. You'll need to let it burn in for at least a few hours. At first I didn't notice a difference with my LDI+, but after about 2 to 3 hours only, I started to notice subtle differences.

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #285 of 3,154
chews > ld+1 (fwir) is good with low impendance HPs. the cost of better tubes might not be logical for the minimal (for hi impendance) improvement. maybe get a more compatible amp? just my 02cents btw- I also share your initial thoughts on the ld+1 (unimpressed)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back