Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Nov 8, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #91 of 3,154
I got my 1+ and GE 408A tubes a few days ago.

You guys were right about unmatched tubes. I can hear the difference in amplitude between some pairings of the 4 tubes I bought. Had to try them in different pairs and switch em around a several times to find the best match of the tubes I bought. Thankfully, I can't tell the difference between the two tubes that match most closely.

So yeah.. buying unmatched tubes are risky, even from the "same lot".

Nov 9, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #92 of 3,154
Woot!

Just won the Yen Audio eBay bid auction for the last set of matched NOS Sylvi Gold 408's!
k701smile.gif

So now...which one of you guys grabbed all the remaing sets of NOS Mullard "old label" mil-spec M8161's last week???
mad.gif

Yeah, I know...you were just "taking one for the team", eh?
wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif

BTW, seems like there have been some longish shippng times seen in this thread. I now wonder if I should've used the $12 USD "International" shipping option, rather than the $8 USD "standard" option?

Oh well, I'm just happy to have snagged the last set after missing them last week, and having to wait all week this week for the current auction to end.

Nov 9, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #93 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by googan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my 1+ and GE 408A tubes a few days ago.

You guys were right about unmatched tubes. I can hear the difference in amplitude between some pairings of the 4 tubes I bought. Had to try them in different pairs and switch em around a several times to find the best match of the tubes I bought. Thankfully, I can't tell the difference between the two tubes that match most closely.

So yeah.. buying unmatched tubes are risky, even from the "same lot".

Thanks for the feedback. Feedback is very important and that's why we hang out here.
beerchug.gif

Last nite I was initially very happy to have stumbled upon these NOS Mullard M8161's

O.K., "new label", but still: 23 bux incl free stateside shipping? And only one day from my house? Not too bad a deal. Way better than other Euro or Asian vendors in price, not to mention the added expense, wait times, and general and hassle of int'l shipping.

I almost pulled the trigger, but then after closer inspection, I couldn't find the word "matched" anywhere when referring to the tube "pair", nor any mention of a tube testor. A little more inspection of the seller's other items showed the seller has no other tubes or electronic gear that I could see, except for this small quantity of M8161's, so possibly has no tube-tester, either. I passed for immediate moment, but may ask the seller if the pairs are matched. I don't want to automatically assume they are not. But I refuse to buy an unmatched, untested, pair.

Edit: Seller has now comfirmed via email that these tube pairs are not tested

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #94 of 3,154
Looks like the much desired Mullard M8161 "old label" EF92's will not be available from Yen anymore.

From Yen's email reply this morning:

+++

Hi chicago_stratcat, thank you for your interest in my items. We have no plans to stock anymore of the Mullard M8161 tubes in the near future due to the rarity of the large shield tubes.

Please check out the United Electron EF92 we have in stock now, they are very good sounding tubes as well.

I hope I've answered your question and please feel free to contact me again with any questions or comments.

+++

*sigh*
frown.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #95 of 3,154
Currently I've got a stock cheap-o setup (stock opamp, cheapest standard tube option), and plan on having some W5000s on the way to go with it. I've got 2 questions:

1.) Anyone else have this pair and can offer a few solid opamp and/or tube recommendations?

2.) Best (reputable) place to find said recommendations?

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #96 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by StratCat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to weigh in with my impressions of LT1364 vs the stock MC33007 op-amp –

This is with the stock base price tubes (6J1).

Also, I’m listening to classical and using my K701’s.

I felt the purely stock LD 1+ had just a tad too much HF roll off and smoothness. It was a bit too polite. But just a bit. It might just be I’m getting acclimated to a tube sound vs my previous all SS experience. From my experience with op-amp rolling in my Zero I knew the LT1364 was a fairly bright choice with qualities I liked in my all SS Zero’s HP amp section.

Well, two hours in, I’m not exactly sure if I like the change. Actually, the LT1364 did much of what I hoped. It’s brighter, with more extended highs, definitely. But it may have gone too far over to the other side. I feel the LD 1+ lost a fair bit of its “tube-like” qualities, if that makes sense?

The upper mids and highs greatly increased. There’s also a bit of edginess. In my zero, I tend to like a bit of edginess. It’s just strange to hear it in the LD 1+. It’s not highly objectionable. Just more SS like. I also felt the original op-amp/6J1 combo had a slight upper bass/lower mids blurring and weighting which I didn’t particularly like. This has been removed, but at the expense of that round very deep bass “lushness”. The emphasis has definitely shifted to the upper mids and highs, and has become more SS in character. Imaging has become sharper.

I’m going to give the LT1364 some burn in time and my ears some time to adjust. I remember it took me two days to really come to appreciate the LT1364’s in my Zero when rolling from the stock NE55323’s. Oddly, the LT1364 has done much of what I thought I wanted (and expected). But doing so seemed to lose much of the LD 1+’s more tube-like character that differentiated it from my Zero sitting inches away, and which I A/B test often with the LD 1+ while rolling. Perhaps I don’t need an “LT1364 sound” in both amps.

I’ll see what some time and trials with my other cans does for my perspective. There have been positive improvements. I don’t want this to sound overly negative.

My $0.02 for now.

Thanks for the impressions! Maybe now I'll muster some courage and switch opamps...

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #97 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkswordsman17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently I've got a stock cheap-o setup (stock opamp, cheapest standard tube option), and plan on having some W5000s on the way to go with it. I've got 2 questions:

1.) Anyone else have this pair and can offer a few solid opamp and/or tube recommendations?

2.) Best (reputable) place to find said recommendations?

I have a pair of W5000 which I very much enjoy with the original OPamp and WE408A tubes. Haven´t tried any other options yet, but threads like this sure makes me think about it, like Sylvania Gold 408A
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #98 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKvC-SainT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of W5000 which I very much enjoy with the original OPamp and WE408A tubes. Haven´t tried any other options yet, but threads like this sure makes me think about it, like Sylvania Gold 408A
smily_headphones1.gif

No kidding. I'm listening to my AD900s with Siemens tubes and it sounds sweet but I'm still pining for those Sylvanias. Especially since Cat sniped me on the previous pair from Yen.

Anyone of you bought those whole sets of Syls on ebay recently and would like to share?
atsmile.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #100 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may have a few sets of the Sylvania Gold 408's for sale after I test and match them...If you're interested you can PM me...

Thanks for the offer! Pm sent.

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #101 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the impressions! Maybe now I'll muster some courage and switch opamps...

I highly sggest you do. It can change the sound signature significantly, and is generally less expensive than rolling tubes.

And it's extremely easily done. If you can comfortably roll a tube, you can roll an op-amp.
k701smile.gif

Edit: If any Q's about rolling op-amps don't hesitate to ask!

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #102 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_TNT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No kidding. I'm listening to my AD900s with Siemens tubes and it sounds sweet but I'm still pining for those Sylvanias. Especially since Cat sniped me on the previous pair from Yen.

Ooops. Sry!
eek.gif

But interestingly, it seems that wasn't the last pair of Sylvi Golds after all. Yen relisted them as a single item bid auction with a 48 USD min and a 89 USD "Buy it Now" option, which I'm sure you're aware of.

Hope your deal works out with Trapper32. BTW, mine haven't shipped yet, either.

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #103 of 3,154
So I´m getting interested in this OPamp swapping, just that I have no experience of that at all, so I don´t know which will work for this amp, which are generally thought as "the best".

I´m pleased with the amp as is though, but still intrigued at what changes can be had by switching the OPamp.

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #104 of 3,154
Regarding different opamps..i've tried the 627's on a browndog, 2132,2134,2107, LM49720 (4562) LM6172 and the LT1358. I think the 2107 or (2) 627 are my favorites. Has anyone tried the AD797's yet or other LT's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back