Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Jan 3, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #3,137 of 3,154
That's how I saw it too.
The V5i is just right for the LD1+.
And it also takes away the crackling when you switch it off.

The V5i just sounds rounder, firmer, juicier and meatier.
I still have the other two OP amps where I could test before the Ld1+ went bye-bye.
None of the 2 really matched the sound of the Ld1+ and it was noticeable that the Ld1+ couldn't really cope with them.
Partly it was also the case that it had coloured the sound.

The V5i doesn't do that at all, it adds a nice touch that remains subtle, not too much and not too little and doesn't make the original OP look good either.

If you want to go a step further, replace the Elna with Nichicon's Fine Gold capacitors for a more linear sound instead of juicy and wet.
This makes the Ld1+ breathe a little better and is worth it.

Jan 3, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #3,138 of 3,154
That's how I saw it too.

I still have the other two OP amps where I could test before the Ld1+ went bye-bye.

None of the 2 really matched the sound of the Ld1+ and it was noticeable that the Ld1+ couldn't really cope with them.

The V5i doesn't do that at all, it adds a nice touch that remains subtle, not too much and not too little and doesn't make the original OP look good either.

If you want to go a step further, replace the Elna with Nichicon's Fine Gold capacitors for a more linear sound instead of juicy and wet.

This makes the Ld1+ breathe a little bOh etter and is worth it.

Jan 3, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #3,139 of 3,154
That's how I saw it too.

This makes the Ld1+ breathe a little better and is worth it.
times like this i really wish i could solder !

Apr 2, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #3,141 of 3,154
Jul 3, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #3,143 of 3,154
A very nice knurled metal upgrade makes changing volume feel more premium. Love it.

Attachments

• 20230703_173846-picsay.jpg
    20230703_173846-picsay.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 0
Aug 6, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #3,144 of 3,154
I plan to be using the LD1+ with stock opamp and stock tubes (WE408A).

Meanwhile I will be looking for some sharp/harsh sounding tubes for the LD1+
I hope something like that exist...

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #3,145 of 3,154
I plan to be using the LD1+ with stock opamp and stock tubes (WE408A).

Meanwhile I will be looking for some sharp/harsh sounding tubes for the LD1+
I hope something like that exist...

The Western Electric 408A tubes are pretty much the opposite of the sound that you want. I bought a 5-pack of 408A tubes labeled "PhilipsECG", and I believe were actually made by Sylvania. I personally like them a lot more, and they are probably more along the lines of what you are looking for if you can find some.

Once you get into the EF95/6AK5 tubes you have a lot more options. GE and Sylvania both make great great 6AK5 tubes, and if you can find the 6AK5W versions, that's even better, since the 6AK5W versions are usually higher quality than the regular 6AK5 versions. If you are willing to try something a bit different, that work with the EF95 setting without any modifications, see if you can find any 6HM5/6HA5/6HQ5 tubes. Again, with these tubes, i've found Sylvania to be a reliable brand that provides a good detailed sound signature that is accurate and not "excessively musical" (which is how I would describe the WE408A).

Also, which OpAmp are you using in the Little-Dot I+? The stock OpAmp that came with mine was terrible. I'd recommend a LM4562, which definitely has a sharp sound with plenty of texture. They are not expensive.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #3,146 of 3,154
I would also add the Voskhod 6Zh1P-ЕV tubes to the equation. If you're willing to use some adapters there are many more to try.

LM4562 (or LME49720, they are exactly the same) is a great choice for a sharp opamp. LT1364 is also a good option.

Aug 7, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #3,147 of 3,154
Also, which OpAmp are you using in the Little-Dot I+? The stock OpAmp that came with mine was terrible. I'd recommend a LM4562, which definitely has a sharp sound with plenty of texture. They are not expensive.
Not sure which OpAmp. But once it arrive I will check and I will also post some pics...
btw it is already on its way and it should arrive in a few days.

Aug 11, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #3,150 of 3,154
Today I opened the LD1+ to check that opamp:
ld1plusboard.JPG

One screw got stuck but good news is that you can still open it with this specific screw stuck forever in there no problem at all:
ld1plusscrewstuck.JPG

I used the wrong tool but those screws are made of very soft metal and they were tightened crazy strong !

btw I tried changing the gain setting but after moving it to the numbers side it was even more louder so I opened it up for the second time and changed it back as it was before (as seen in the first photo this is the factory setting at least it was like this when I opened it for the first time).

btw nr.2 after few days there was some kind of hum or "interrupting" very quiet "white noise" like sound in the left channel that was goin on and off several times during 1 second interval. This was fixed by removing the tubes and placing them back in. Now it is gone and all is good!

I am very happy with this amp so far but I will still try opamp and tube rolling.

For me the biggest change going from ss amp to this is how "natural" the LD1+ sounds especially the lowend/bass is "real world" sounding I have not experienced this before with ss amps ever.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back