Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Sep 3, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #856 of 3,154

Quote:
Those are also my most favorite tubes for my LDI+ HeatFan...I have about 20 different pairs of tubes and this set rarely if ever leaves the amp!

Love them tubes....
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I've installed my newly arrived Mullard EF91 M8083 NOS matched pair and it sounds pretty good, installed an OPA2107 too.

Question, I have my lossless audio being sent from Songbird to my EMU USB 0404 which then connects to my LDI+.

Now all three have volume controls, the EMU has a Main Output.

Is it best to set the Songbird Volume at Max, the EMU's volume in the middle and just fiddle with the LDI+'s volume?

Max everything and control with I+.  I have an E-MU0404USB (no songbird, sorry) and I max its main and control with amp.

Sep 3, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #857 of 3,154

Quote:
Well, I personally like the EF91 family.  ATM I don't have any WE408a, however my favorite 408a is the Tung-Sol.

Many tubes to choose from with this amp.

One of my favorite EF91-

Quote:
Those are also my most favorite tubes for my LDI+ HeatFan...I have about 20 different pairs of tubes and this set rarely if ever leaves the amp!

Those also were my favorite tubes when I still had the LD I+, great synergy with the K701s.

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #859 of 3,154
thats what I'm currently using :)

Quote:
Well, I personally like the EF91 family.  ATM I don't have any WE408a, however my favorite 408a is the Tung-Sol.

Many tubes to choose from with this amp.

One of my favorite EF91-

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #861 of 3,154

Quote:

Safe to max the EMU0404USB?

Do you max the audio player as well (songbird, foobar...)?

Absolutely, just turn down the volume of your amp and take it from there...My E-MU and Foobar are max (0.00dB) and my amp controls.  Once set, you never have to mess with the player or the E-MU.  You always want full attenuation at the beginning and middle and control it with the last output (amp).

Quote:
thats what I'm currently using :)

I remember when you purchased your amp...Good times....
beerchug.gif

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #862 of 3,154
[size=10pt]With any software media player like the soundbird which uses a digital volume control you wanted it to be maximum so that it will not reduce any digital bits. The  EMU's volume control at middle sounds good since balanced outputs tend to run a bit higher voltage at the outputs. Sounds like you have a plan. [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #863 of 3,154
Where are you guys getting these Mullard EF91s?
Debating whether I should get the EF92 or the EF91s for LD I+

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #864 of 3,154
And also, do I need to adjust anything in the amp when using the mullard EF91s?
Sorry, new to tube rolling!

Sep 6, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #865 of 3,154
How is the standard opamp of this amp? I'm thinking of getting the uDAC-2 and I'm in doubt between this amp, and the Schiit Asgard. I listen to (indie)rock en electronic music (techno, IDM, dubstep) mostly. I don't want to start soldering in my amp, and would only like to replace the tubes with some good ones. What are some good tubes (the mullards mentioned above?), and is it worth buying this amp if I'm not going to change the opamp?

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #866 of 3,154

Quote:
How is the standard opamp of this amp? I'm thinking of getting the uDAC-2 and I'm in doubt between this amp, and the Schiit Asgard. I listen to (indie)rock en electronic music (techno, IDM, dubstep) mostly. I don't want to start soldering in my amp, and would only like to replace the tubes with some good ones. What are some good tubes (the mullards mentioned above?), and is it worth buying this amp if I'm not going to change the opamp?

The op amp is socketed. The stock unit is hardly ideal. Between this and other available options, if you're asking... then the Little Dot I+. it teaches many valuable lessons and in time, and with enough investment will become the perfect amp for you... in my case that was 350$ later (including the amp)... but to have that _PERFECT_ sound for such a low price is a bargain. And to be truthful I have a few parts that could be sold to recover much of that cost, like the much coveted Sylvania Gold Brand 408A... which very well may go up for sale soon. :)

Sep 6, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #867 of 3,154

Quote:
Where are you guys getting these Mullard EF91s?
Debating whether I should get the EF92 or the EF91s for LD I+

I got a bunch from eBay - 5 from a guy in England - and 4 more from someone else. They were pretty cheap (i.e. $5 ea) so I loaded up when I found them. You have to adjust the jumpers internally to make sure you can run the EF91/EF92 family. You can check the manual for the proper settings to make sure you are good to go. I found the EF91s more to my liking - seemed to have a more pronounced and slightly wider soundstage, warm (but not overly) and a tight/deep bass (but not muddy - even with my Denons).   

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #868 of 3,154
$5 a tube?! That is... awesome...
so far I've only been able to find what another headfier posted for the mullards

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310087990802&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&afsrc=1

Should I keep looking or is this as good as it gets? I already have the EF92, would you recommend getting these 91s
to compliment the tubes I already have or should Iook into another family?
I got a bunch from eBay - 5 from a guy in England - and 4 more from someone else. They were pretty cheap (i.e. $5 ea) so I loaded up when I found them. You have to adjust the jumpers internally to make sure you can run the EF91/EF92 family. You can check the manual for the proper settings to make sure you are good to go. I found the EF91s more to my liking - seemed to have a more pronounced and slightly wider soundstage, warm (but not overly) and a tight/deep bass (but not muddy - even with my Denons).   

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #869 of 3,154
BTW I just ordered the LD I+ with EF92s
I've heard the stock ones are not that great and the WE408a seemed a bit
overpriced.

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #870 of 3,154
Quote:
[size=10pt]With any software media player like the soundbird which uses a digital volume control you wanted it to be maximum so that it will not reduce any digital bits. The  EMU's volume control at middle sounds good since balanced outputs tend to run a bit higher voltage at the outputs. Sounds like you have a plan. [/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]

Even though balanced outputs put out much more power than regular RCA, you shouldn't worry about that since you're controlling the volume on the amp after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back