Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Jul 14, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #406 of 3,154
RightMark Audio Analyzer test: comparison

Still not sure why differences between *tubes* are so subtle on the I+.
I feel i hear more difference on opamps, still prefering the LME49720.
But take a guess which is the stock LME49720 and which LME49720 is the modified one, just labeled (A) and (B), just as a fun reference i included The stock 6J1 and "The Russians", also less easy to distinguish from each other and the EF91, compared to how easily things are picked out on the MkII with the same tubes. Even frequency response changes on the MkII visibly, not just audible.
I can hear the differences you describe with ease on the MkII, i wonder if the differences being larger on MkII is what makes me have a harder time on I+.

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #407 of 3,154
I do not know the difference in the speed of those opamps but the LM4562 is 50mhrzt and the OPA2228 is 33MGRTZ. I expect they might look similar on a scope but they do sound different in application.

I got my new Russian 6J1 and they sound more bass heavy than my Amperex aka Mullards. I do hear those differences. Having spent time with both the stock and new 6J1s I really don't see any reason to search out any better. I do think modding that opamp made a big difference.

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #408 of 3,154
I need to give the modded opamp some good listen/comparison to unmodified, since it's in amp it hasn't been out, so working from memory, well, that never works
smily_headphones1.gif

I also edited the previous post, i didn't type it exactly how i meant it, opamps i can actually pick out easier, i meant tube differences are harder to pick up on on this amp compared to the MkII.
While i agree with the differences in sound you describe between tubes.
I enjoy my Russian 6J1P-EV also, with the EF91 just being a much better synergy with my HD600, i use "The Russians" when i crave a little more oompf on low end.
And so NOS is never an issue for me, i have PLENTY of 6J1P-EV (from '71 to '84, they all sound the same, with the '84 looking brand spanking new), and a good amount of EF91s.
The rest is just few here and there to have heard a couple.

I finally did pick up some 408A, just to see if maybe those are easily audibly different.

All in all i am impressed how well this amp even drives my HD600 at gain 7, although i will go back down to Gain3.5x, last night i put the D1001 back on the I+, and with the modded opamp, EF91 and gain7, i listened to music at ~5/100 on scale o_O

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #411 of 3,154
I know we use .1uF, i see national use higher values in their datasheet too. Just makes me experiment happy
wink.gif

I think i will build a cmoy and measure it against the I+ and MkII as it progresses, one thing i noticed while reading about cmoy and LM4562 is that this opamp needs the decoupling caps to not oscillate, so even if i never did a comprehensive listening comparison between the LME with and without decoupling caps, i can be sure it's the right thing to have them, i just now wonder about 1uF and 47uF, since all three values are used in the spec sheet.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #412 of 3,154
I think if you use a foil cap you are in good order. Thing is that a .1 or 1uF foil cap is huge in comparison to an opamp. Then use a stacked film and you are back in the game size wise. With the exception being the non polar .1uF Blackgates ... which look to have dried up.

So I guess the choice may be a 47uF electrolytic or a .1uF stacked film.

Jul 21, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #413 of 3,154
Dear fellow head-fiers.

After reading pretty much all there is on the Little Dot I+, there is one on the way! Red LED and all.
Went for the stock model.

Close to where I work, is a big electronic store, and I could use som help in finding the correct op amp alternatives among them all.

I paste a link to the EU store, in english, and was hoping some kind person could point me to a couple of good op amps.

Heres the link
https://www1.elfa.se/elfa~eu_en/b2b/...do?tab=catalog

Thx a bunch in advance!

Lasse

Jul 21, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #415 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by morfic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ArtikelNr.: 73-309-88 LM4562NA dual audio op-amp DIL8 73,50

LM4562/LME49720 is all you will ever hear from me
wink.gif

Oh, thx, really appreciated!
beerchug.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #417 of 3,154
Put an order in, on one LM4562NA! (Havent even got the LD yet
smily_headphones1.gif
)
Thx for the assistance!

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #418 of 3,154
Got the word from David, my LD I+ is on the way!
Picked up the op-amp and power cable yesterday, now, Im gonna find myself some cool tubes!
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #419 of 3,154
And now, Ive ordered a pair of Mullard M8161 from the UK!

Cant wait to get hold of the little one now!

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #420 of 3,154
that's it? whimping out on one pair of tubes? ;P
Since you are in sweden, you shouldn't have issues picking up some fun tubes for cheap, 6Zh1P-EV from russia/ukraine/lithuania should get to you quick and are dirt cheap, around $22 for 10
wink.gif

I actually now have too many 6Zh1P-EV since i wanted to try a few different years.....all sound the same, *great*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back