Little Dot I+ or Schiit Asgard PLEASE help!!
Aug 30, 2010 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

loonacy

100+ Head-Fier
Ok PLEASE help me.  I am going to buy a new amp for my Denon ah-d 5000's.  I have done a lot of research and made a few posts to figure out my amp issue.  I will be using an 32gb ipod touch in lossless format for my source.  I do have a budget (and a wife to enforce it :) so i need some help.

I like the Little Dot I+ and have read GREAT things about it.  I have read that a hybrid amp can produce a nice sound.  I like the price and availability of it also (I like the old style look to).  I am just concerned its not enough amp.  Am I wrong?  will it drive the denon's okay?

The Schiit Asgard looks VERY cool also and has gotten good reviews.  I have read that it runs HOT and may be a bit louder.  The price is right at the top of my budget which is ok but a little extra money is always nice.  Is this enough amp for the denon's?  is it worth the extra $150 over the Little Dot I+.  Also they are on backorder and may take awhile to get.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 7
I believe I just read one of your other posts in reference to the D5000s and an amp....lol...
beerchug.gif

The I+ has no prob, driving the Denons.  That being said, I like to use them with solid state amps, myself.  It tightens them up a bit more....However, I'm rocking some Tung Sol 408As on the I+ and those tubes make everything sound good, so do the EF91 & EF92 family...lol

Can't help with the Asgard, as I have never heard it.

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 7
The LD i+ is not a good amp IMO, I had one upgraded the tubes and everything and it was just not worth the trouble, I think its because its basically a solid state amp and they a tube buffer in front which gives somewhat of a tube sound but also takes dynamics and detail from the sound, I think the asgard is all tube if so I would get that one.

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
I think the asgard is all tube if so I would get that one.

The Asgard is actually all SS, and it is supposed to be a pretty darn good one at that.  If you want to try that company's tube amp, you should look at the Valhalla - that amp is just being released, and might be worth giving a listen to...

Sep 3, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 7
One amp is made in China and the other in the USA. I for one would hope that this fact would affect the decision of which amp to buy.

I don't know about anyone else but as an American, I prefer to always buy American whenever possible.
smile.gif
(I also always try to avoid made-in-China stuff whenever possible too - but obviously this cannot always be done.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back