Little Dot I+ faintly hissing and crackling...tubes or the unit?
Mar 29, 2010 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
Howdy everyone,

so I haven't used the Little Dot I+ for around six months, maybe more. Got back from college last night and fired it up, and almost immediately there was this faint but persistent scratching noise coming from the right channel. I put up with it for a bit, but then powered down the device, removed the tubes, blew into the unit and onto the tube pins, then reseated them.

I even left it on all night to see if the noise would stop.

Well, now it's 24 hours and now the noise is coming more from the left side. The right side almost never speaks up for itself, but every now and then it has a faint pop or crackle.

I've been playing music through it so far, and nothing worrisome has occurred...at least, none that I could hear of.

Should I buy new tubes (assuming it is the fault of the tubes), or...? I'm almost at the point of thinking that this SR225 deserves a better amp, considering the DAC and music going through it.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Hm, the right side seems to make "pops" sometimes when I'm playing music, which aren't loud, but still cuts into the music.

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 24
I literally just opened mine and am experiencing the same problem. I will give it some time but so far I am not impressed...

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 24
I've got light hissing on my new one, too. Seems like it's coming mostly from the right side. Haven't bothered to check the pins or the unit itself yet because it's impossible to hear it when music's playing with the amp's volume as low as I have it.

I'm guessing the tube pins are oxidized or something.

Mar 29, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 24
yeah I visually checked them and removed some fibers that were on them and it seems to be a little better now but I did not see any oxidation.

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 24
Roker I was hoping you would chime in I was about to pm you asking what tubes youve got in your LD I+ because I remember when I was first asking about the amp we have similar music taste. So yeah if you could let me know what tubes are good and also where I could get them it would be much appreciated. Also I have seems some of those little rfi rings on people tubes and was wondering where I could pick up a pair.

edit
How would you reccomend cleaning the tubes? ie what cleaning agent/method.

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by parskey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Roker I was hoping you would chime in I was about to pm you asking what tubes youve got in your LD I+ because I remember when I was first asking about the amp we have similar music taste. So yeah if you could let me know what tubes are good and also where I could get them it would be much appreciated. Also I have seems some of those little rfi rings on people tubes and was wondering where I could pick up a pair.

edit
How would you reccomend cleaning the tubes? ie what cleaning agent/method.

Deoxit to clean the tubes.

I got some Mullard CV4010 that someone gave to me.

I got some static noises from my HDD but ever since I moved it to another spot on my desk I haven't had a problem.

I have no idea if RFI rings would help, but if you do get some let me know!

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 24
I misspoke I saw the dampener rings and thought they had something to do with rfi. Thanks for the quick response!

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #11 of 24
I hope people don't get the wrong impression of the LDI+

it has it's flaws. When I first went through the gigantic LDI+ thread I stayed away because of complaints like these, but I'm glad I went ahead and bought it.

It just requires a little bit of "adjusting" and then, "BAM!" it'll be your best friend forever.

Don't forget to swap out the opamp to an LT1364 as well.

Mar 30, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #12 of 24
Do you think the dampener rings are worth it or is it snake oil? I am new to tubes so sorry if these are really dumb questions.

Also what would you say is the duty cycle for the ld I+ before you should shut it off and let it cool I think it said 8 hours or something in the manual.

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #14 of 24
sometimes I leave it on all day and I could swear it sounds better in the late night
wink.gif

I don't know, I wouldn't worry about it. Just exercise common sense. I've fallen asleep with it turned on before and it was fine (I turned off for an hour or so).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back