Little Dot 2++ Version 2
Feb 13, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah ... this better not be true. My ++ sounds so good right now. If it goes bad, I will be severely annoyed. I never let it run more than 4-5 hours at a time, so maybe that will help to stave off the possible (and inevitable) demise of my little dot. My Micro tube doesn't run hot, but I'm sure some problem will crop up with that as well.

Woe is me . . . I should have just bought an Extreme and been done with it. I'm sure they last more than a few months.
tongue.gif

Have u tried opening urs up and see if the resistors are discoloring?

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have u tried opening urs up and see if the resistors are discoloring?

I'm too afraid.

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm too afraid.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Hiding in the corner will not solve the problem either! Perhaps we can find a way and replace those resistors ourselves? Pop out the bottom 4 screws and let us see!!

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #19 of 28
I got a message from David saying that if I send him my Little-Dot, he'll replace it.

Do you think if I ask nicely, he'll send me one first then I can send him mine back so I don't have to be ampless for who knows how long, and that way I can have the packaging for it?

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a message from David saying that if I send him my Little-Dot, he'll replace it.

Do you think if I ask nicely, he'll send me one first then I can send him mine back so I don't have to be ampless for who knows how long, and that way I can have the packaging for it?

Tell him to send you a bunch. We will soon need new ones as well. I think if I have to ship back my LD again, I will just leave it with them for about a year or so to give them adequate time to work out all the kinks.

Quote:

:Hiding in the corner will not solve the problem either! Perhaps we can find a way and replace those resistors ourselves? Pop out the bottom 4 screws and let us see!!

When it starts sounding bad (probably in the next week or so), I will open it up to see my discolored, burned, worthless resistors. Until then it's bliss land.

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be completely honest, I'm contemplating just asking for my money back and getting a Darkvoice 336i.

If you had the money, you should just bought a wooaudio or darkvoice in the first place. The Ld2++ is for those who dont have much to spend and are thirsty for the sound of tubes.

Feb 13, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

If you had the money, you should just bought a wooaudio or darkvoice in the first place. The Ld2++ is for those who dont have much to spend and are thirsty for the sound of tubes.

Or live in Antarctica and need a good sounding space heater.
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #24 of 28
The LDII++v2.5-turbo-i-B !!! ? I want one already!! Does it get hot?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #25 of 28
I was thinking about getting a LD2 ++ but reading this thread put me off.
IS it so unreliable? The manufacturer claims he solved most issues in their latest version, but I can read a lot of horror stories over here.
Are these failures due to some inner design flaws, or intensive tube-rolling may contribute to their early demise as well?
icon10.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by syncmaster68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking about getting a LD2 ++ but reading this thread put me off.
IS it so unreliable? The manufacturer claims he solved most issues in their latest version, but I can read a lot of horror stories over here.
Are these failures due to some inner design flaws, or intensive tube-rolling may contribute to their early demise as well?
icon10.gif

Hmm...don't know how to respond to that. But from our experience, LD tends to release products before extensive testings of their units (for LD2+,++ at least). Doing this have several consequences, besides existing customers being unhappy, they waste money replacing/fixing them for customers, and worst of all, bad reputation for potential sales. Many who started loving their LD products have now lost faith in them.

So, my suggestion to you is: if you are on an extremely tight budget, you can go for it, but if you can afford a bit more, go for something else, even if it has a smaller price-to-performance ratio.

Feb 17, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #27 of 28
After 50 hours of use I'm happy to report no overheating resistors
smily_headphones1.gif
. The chassis still runs fairly hot. I measured temperatures at various points on the chassis with my Fluke 62 Mini IR Thermometer.

After 2 hours of operation:

60.8 C top cover between the tubes
47.8 C top cover on the side of the transformer
38.6 C top of transformer
42.8 C front panel
42.0 C back panel

The power supply caps are rated at 85 degrees C
The rest that I could read are rated at 105 degrees C

Hopefully this version will be reliable!

Feb 18, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #28 of 28
I have run mine with the case open for about four hours today- the main source of heat seems to be coming from two places- the transformer on top has what looks like a silicone heat transfer pad between it and the top of the main case- heat is transferred from the power transformer to the main case and not the transformer cover. The next part is the bridge rectifier. OUCH- that one was hot. The power tubes are placed in the middle of the warmest two parts of the amp. That seem to really build the heat up. The resistors everyone was talking about discoloring are about 1/2 in off the board in mine and I can safely touch them. - I would say the ver II++-pi-B-2.5.8.3.3.1 model here is just fine. I use it 8hours or more a day and still plan on leaving the unit powered on. If the desk catches fire- no problem, I'll get a new one.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back