Little Dot 2++ Version 2
Feb 12, 2007 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

atbglenn

Headphoneus Supremus
My little Dot 2++ Version 1 LED power indicator failed. They sent me a replacement
cool.gif
. It is now version 2 with some component updates including the discoloring plate resistors which they now space away from the circuit board... Check out these images.

http://glennsoffen.googlepages.com/littledot2%2B%2B

Feb 12, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems they changed the impedance of the resistors and the type.

Can you notice any difference in sound reproduction?

I really cant tell since I was listening to my Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 for two weeks while waiting for a replacement. My long term memory isn't that great when it comes to differences in sound unless the difference is dramatic or I'm doing a direct A B. What I can say is that I do like the new version better than my X-Can. The sound is fuller, more tube-like. The X-Can sounds a little thin in comparison with my Sennheiser HD-650.

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 28
It's never ending with this company.
biggrin.gif

What does it mean that the resistors discolor. Will that have any negative effect on the amp?

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

What does it mean that the resistors discolor. Will that have any negative effect on the amp?

As David suggested, it will not have any effect on the sound. I guess we will just have to take his words for it.

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

I assume the original resistors were too low a wattage, meaning they were over heating, causing the discoloration. I'm sure that if those resistors blew, the amp would just die, but don't know if other components would get damaged in the process.

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My little Dot 2++ is now version 2 with some component updates including the discoloring plate resistors which they now space away from the circuit board...

Quote:

biggrin.gif

OK, thats done it..!! I'm never going to look inside mine now..Ignorance is bliss!!
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume the original resistors were too low a wattage, meaning they were over heating, causing the discoloration. I'm sure that if those resistors blew, the amp would just die, but don't know if other components would get damaged in the process.

The original resistors were 220 ohm 3 watters mounted directly up against the circuit board and they got way too hot. I'm sure over time they would fail. The new resistors are 390 ohm, also 3 watt. They look like wire wound resistors to me, which are designed to get hot. Plus the fact they are mounted about 1/4" above the circuit board allowing for heat dissipation. I wonder why they changed the resistance ? Any ideas?

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 28
Hopefully the discoloring resistors arent the reason why some users (aka Advil) have reported ld2++ sounding bad all of a sudden...

Quote:

The original resistors were 220 ohm 3 watters mounted directly up against the circuit board and they got way too hot. I'm sure over time they would fail. The new resistors are 390 ohm, also 3 watt. They look like wire wound resistors to me, which are designed to get hot. Plus the fact they are mounted about 1/4" above the circuit board allowing for heat dissipation. I wonder why they changed the resistance ? Any ideas?

The reason for the increased gap is cause they want to decrease the chance of the resistors discoloring the circuit board, which is pretty common for wirewound resistors.

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Hopefully the discoloring resistors arent the reason why some users (aka Advil) have reported ld2++ sounding bad all of a sudden...

The new circuit board has version 2 printed on it. Maybe they had known issues with version 1 other than over heating resistors ??

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

I wonder why they changed the resistance ? Any ideas?

I couldn't tell you. I'm only learning this stuff a little at a time as it is right now. And I'm only doing that because I'm modding my amp just about once a week lately.

I would have thought they might have bumped those new resistors up to at least 5 watters though, but not the actual value, unless those original 220 ohm resistors were running the plates too hard and had to be knocked down some, hence the reason for moving up to 390 ohm resistors. I don't know.

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

The new circuit board has version 2 printed on it. Maybe they had known issues with version 1 other than over heating resistors ??

You mean other than the entire amp chassis over heating?!
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #13 of 28
Not again...
rolleyes.gif

Maybe what they should've done was follow a numbering scheme rather than adding on extra symbols after their amp everytime they change a resistor. I mean, c'mon, look at it - LD II ++ v2, that's ridiculous. What's next? The LDII++v2.5-turbo-i-B?

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Listening to music = listening to electricity.

I am almost pretty certain that the discoloring resistors are part of the culprits as discoloring is a common sign of heat-stress. That being said, there are 2 possibilities where heat-stress is introduced to these resistors.
A) The internal heat/temperature of the amp
B) A higher than normal/tolerated current is travelling through the resistors, causing them to overheat.

I think B is a more possible problem. Hence, they need to increase the impedance on the resistors and move them further away from the circuit board to prevent the possible heat discoloration from the hot resistors.

...And if there is fault in the travelling of electricity, then the formula stands. Bad electricity current = Bad music experience.

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Listening to music = listening to electricity.

I am almost pretty certain that the discoloring resistors are part of the culprits as discoloring is a common sign of heat-stress. That being said, there are 2 possibilities where heat-stress is introduced to these resistors.
A) The internal heat/temperature of the amp
B) A higher than normal/tolerated current is travelling through the resistors, causing them to overheat.

I think B is a more possible problem. Hence, they need to increase the impedance on the resistors and move them further away from the circuit board to prevent the possible heat discoloration from the hot resistors.

...And if there is fault in the travelling of electricity, then the formula stands. Bad electricity current = Bad music experience.

Ah ... this better not be true. My ++ sounds so good right now. If it goes bad, I will be severely annoyed. I never let it run more than 4-5 hours at a time, so maybe that will help to stave off the possible (and inevitable) demise of my little dot. My Micro tube doesn't run hot, but I'm sure some problem will crop up with that as well.

Woe is me . . . I should have just bought an Extreme and been done with it. I'm sure they last more than a few months.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back