Little Dot 2++ Tube Rolling
Mar 4, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #646 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, this thread has imo the most LDII++ info relating to its sound, so I'll post this here.

Over the time time I've had this amp, around 9 months now, its flaws have become more apparent to me.

I'll try to keep this short and sweet,for good of the people!

Mids are too pronounced/emphasized.
Too warm.
Bass could use more slam/weight/impact.
Really struggles with complex and/or fast musical passages.

the amp could be more resolving, all tube amps probably could be, but you have to also consider that source plays a big part there as well. as for bass, you may get more (a bit) with different drivers. as for the ++ being too warm, i actually recall the amp being less tubey and warm than the +. maybe you should consider a solid state alternative. it is possible that you have grown a bit tired of the tube sound.

just a thought.

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #647 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it is possible that you have grown a bit tired of the tube sound.

just a thought.

Yeah, I had come to the same conclusion.

Mar 23, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #649 of 658
hi all :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by kg4icn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using the Mullard driver tubes and Chinese power tubes.

Same here Logan.. and I'm still on the original set of powers and drivers which I tried over a year ago... I always go back to them as a kind of reference point now. These days my LD2++ is being used as a tube buffer for an m-audio DAC or sometimes as a tube filter if you like to add that tubey effect to my sounds.. my LD for all its worth has been a great little unit and certainly worth the money it cost me way back then.. and by the way I have stopped the cooking of eggs on the HIFI equipment now.. and I still have all them driver tubes... I think I purchased a lifetime's worth!

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #650 of 658
I bought a used little dot ii++ (to be paired with my DT-880's) from someone here on head-fi that should be arriving shortly...

How does your current setup sound compared to the stock tubes, rain_uk?
(sorry if you posted that already, my reading comprehension is a little low right now due to having the flu)

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #651 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by epsilon72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does your current setup sound compared to the stock tubes, rain_uk?
(sorry if you posted that already, my reading comprehension is a little low right now due to having the flu)

Hi epsilon72, my current tube selection is the Chinese stock power tubes but partnered with the old military Mullard CV4015 6065 (as seen on the first page in this thread) I find these drivers to be slightly more smooth than the M8161 but near the same in detail, but I'm splitting hairs really with that statement but I'll throw it out there none the less. My unit came with the Ediswans as stock which for me were easily bettered by some other choices.. lot's of my babbling early in this thread about that

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #652 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just did a quick tube rolling with my LDII++, to see if I had a tube that is better in the areas you are having problems with....

As my MKII will shortly be arriving, let me jump into this thread with what is obviously a rather basic (and naive?) question: Once my MKII is burned in (for 100 hours or so) and I want to try rolling in some new tubes, do I have to also burn in those tubes for an additional 100 hours each, or for a lesser time? In other words, just which parts of the amplifier are primarily affected by the burning-in process?

Mar 27, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #653 of 658
Amp burn-in, about 100 to 200 hours at the most (90% there after 100 hrs)

Any and every new tubeset you install will also need 40 to 80 hours max.

You can safely run them with a repeating music source for several hours non-stop. Let the amp rest(cool down) for an hour now and again. When I buy new tubes, I'll just repeat a burn in cycle for two days. They are usually close to "well done" at that point.

Mar 27, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #654 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amp burn-in, about 100 to 200 hours at the most (90% there after 100 hrs)

Any and every new tubeset you install will also need 40 to 80 hours max.

You can safely run them with a repeating music source for several hours non-stop. Let the amp rest(cool down) for an hour now and again. When I buy new tubes, I'll just repeat a burn in cycle for two days. They are usually close to "well done" at that point.

Many thanks for the quick response -- and answers I needed. Oh, boy, what fun???

Mar 27, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #655 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by ascherjim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In other words, just which parts of the amplifier are primarily affected by the burning-in process?

The capacitors in your amp are what's mainly settling in during the initial 'burn-in' period, whenever you receive new tubes you will need to burn those in too.

Dec 21, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #656 of 658
Hi!

I'm looking for a Marconi W77, never used. I currently live in France so it will be also necessary to ship overseas. Please contact me by mp for any proposition!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanx,
Baptiste

Apr 10, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #657 of 658
Quote:

Originally Posted by yggdrasil77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!

I'm looking for a Marconi W77, never used. I currently live in France so it will be also necessary to ship overseas. Please contact me by mp for any proposition!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanx,
Baptiste

Those are pretty hard to find, you can try searching for MWC W77 tubes. The ones I've listened to are very bass heavy and at times too loose in the bottom end.

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #658 of 658
I just picked up a used Little Dot II++ and love it.

Right now I'm using the stock power tubes with some Mullard M8161's for driver tubes, just loving the creamy warmth and full-of-life mids (acoustic and electric guitars have never sounded this good... it's honestly incredible).

I tried switching the power tubes to a pair of Ulyanov 6S19P-B's, but noticed a huge drop in sound quality (way less bass, all the tube-y lushness was almost totally gone).

However, the I got the Ulyanovs w/ the amp and don't know how burned-in/mature they are... but the stock ones just sound so much better, I don't have the inclination to put in the time w/ the Ulyanovs, just yet.

So, right now I'm sticking with the stock power/Mullard driver combo, and it's fanastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back