Little dilemma... K701 or HD650
Jul 23, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #16 of 58
650 for me
600smile.gif
also what i have read on the forum the 701 is a bit harder to burn in

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #17 of 58
I'd go for the 650 seeing as I have sr225's atm and 650's or some beyers would be my next headphone choice after some nice amping.

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #18 of 58
I agree with having a new headphone with warranty vs anything used @ $250 from fleabay... And even if new, I would and have chosen the k-701s over the 650s which were not my "cup of tea" in terms of sonic signatures. Who knows what you would like better with your gear really, but seeing as how you wanted input, there's mine!

Best of luck with whichever new toy you choose
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #20 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your pros and cons seem to focus more on superficial aspects rather than what they sound like
confused.gif

And missing the most superficial of all. The 650s aren't white.

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #21 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with having a new headphone with warranty vs anything used @ $250 from fleabay... And even if new, I would and have chosen the k-701s over the 650s which were not my "cup of tea" in terms of sonic signatures. Who knows what you would like better with your gear really, but seeing as how you wanted input, there's mine!

Best of luck with whichever new toy you choose
wink.gif

Yeah the no warranty bugs me because I could end up having to pay the brand new price of a HD650 with repair costs added to the equation.

Example: $250 for the used HD650 with no warranty + $100 repairs = $350

But then again headphones don't bust for no reason. And do repairs really get that expensive? The main question I have now is whether or not Sennheiser really cares whether or not you have receipts for warranty work. Does anyone know the answer to this?

By the way right now I am leaning towards the HD650. I figure I can't lose with either headphones, so I'll get the HD650 and I'll probably get the K701s during Christmas time.

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #22 of 58
Another question: Why is the Sennheiser HD650 lowest internet price so much more than the lowest price for the AKG K701?

Actually I've been using pricegrabber.com as my source. Does anyone know of prices lower than $268 shipped for the AKG K701s and $385 shipped for the Sennheiser HD650? (Actually found AKGs on ebay.com for $258 shipped and new, but I don't know if they provide receipts for the warranty)

B&H actually doesn't list their price for the AKG and I'm wondering if it is lower than $268 shipped. Their site says the "price is too low to publish" and I'd have to call in to get a price quote.

Also I remember the Sennheiser HD650 were like $330 shipped at one point. The prices just goes up and down like that?

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #24 of 58
I'm not sure why there's such a huge price difference between the two; is AKG a bigger company maybe? I know that's why Grado headphones sell for a bit more, being a smaller company means prices go up a bit. But really, the price difference isn't monumentally huge and enjoying the sound is what's important. I wouldn't really let warranties and stuff like that get in the way.

I vote HD650; I don't have it anymore but liked it a lot more than K701. That's such a personal preference though, as there's a lot of K701 fans on here. I think the HD650 would go along well with your musical tastes too, but then again I think it goes along with almost any type of music!

Is there a retailer somewhere near you that you can demo at least one of these? Atlanta is a pretty big city, isn't it?

Good luck and have fun listening!

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #25 of 58
Yeah maybe demoing them is a good idea. But then again they both could sound good to me... then it'll be more of a dilemma. Again I plan on getting them both eventually. Then from there I'll decide which one to keep, but which one do you guys think I should get first?

I think I'm actually going to get the AKG K701s because someone began bidding on the HD650s. I don't want to get over $270 with this purchase.

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #26 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both

The k701 sounds completely real at times.
The HD650 sounds completely fun and emotional at times (Only fun when EQ'd)

IDK, I guess I like the hd650s better I think.

I have both and very much prefer the luscious & smooth sound of HD650's, not to mention better comfort (for me) as well.

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #28 of 58
I haven't owned any of the headphones suggested, but I think I read somewhere you can easily mod the HD580 to sound just like the HD650... Maybe you should consider that as well? Just my 2c.

Whatever you buy, I'm sure it will sound great so don't worry too much
tongue.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #29 of 58
I listened to both and prefer HD650s. K701s did not impress me at all.

Jul 23, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #30 of 58
Can not get enough of the revealing detail that the K701s pump out! Here are some other things to think about however. Are you a bass head? If so then maybe the HD650s are the ones that you need. The K701s need at least 500 hrs of burn-in to sound their best. I did enjoy the burn-in process though. Still no regrets on my decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back