Little Country III or a Rotel RCD-971 (source)
Jan 29, 2010 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AudioICE

New Head-Fier
The source being The Rotel RCD-971. I can get this used for about 275, and the Little Country III used for 350.

The Little Country III looks tempting as hell at that price..but the Rotel RCD-971 has had very impressive reviews. I'm perplexed...decisions, decisions.

Right now I've got a NAD C541i as my main source

Amps are: 87 made in Japan model Pioneer SA 1480 integrated amp (the headphone out is AMAZING), and an Ibasso Boa D2...

Headphones: Grado SR 80's and a pair of Audio Technica W1000's on the way (should be here any day now).

Now....source v.s amp. Which one is ultimately more important?

Jan 29, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 6
Personally I would say source. I like many of the Rotels; I have both an RCD-855 (heavily modded) and an RCD-991, which is the 971s big brother so to speak. Both the 971 and 991 use the excellent PMD-100 filter and dual PCM63 DAC chips. PCM63-Ks might be better, and could be put in without any problems. The laser is the Sony KSS-213 (IIRC) which is readily available and cheap. Biggest drawback is the output stage, which in mine was NE5534 I/V, NE5532 filter and OPA2604 output buffer/SE->bal conversion. I've currently replaced mine with THS4031 for the I/V and AD8599 for the buffer, left the filter out. I will be looking at going discrete shortly, but I do all my own work, so this isn't really spendy as it would be if you had to have it done professionally. Stock though, the player sounded quite good; not as good as my 855, but good nonetheless. Currently it is about equal to the 855.

I take it the Little Country is a DAC? Still the same issues with output stage, PSUs, etc.; further complicated by digital transmission (SPDIF? USB?) which are all prone to jitter. CDPs typically use I2S internally which is much less prone.

Just my $0.02...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back