Little brother absolutely wants beats for Christmas. Refuses Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, PSB, Focal and V-Moda
Nov 20, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #91 of 206
An adult vs Teen civil war brewing on head-fi.

I knew this day would come...

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #92 of 206
Glad that we aren't infected with beats in my country, at least not so much.

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #93 of 206
It is a huge injustice to buy your kid Beats when that kid only knows about Beats and not any other brand.

Visual looks just as valid as sonic? Yes and no.

Half the people on public commute use Apple earbuds or Dr. Dre beats, which illustrates how clueless those people are when it comes to variety. Mainstream media has suffocated the products down on consumers. That and 'booming bass' somehow equals 'sound quality'. 

I'm no audiophile but it is disgusting how much of an impact Apple earbuds & Dr. Dre Beats/tours have made on consumers. Neither of them are even that good. They are overhyped and vastly overpriced.

$ 30 dollars for stock earbuds? Lulz.

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #94 of 206
Quote:
Glad that we aren't infected with beats in my country, at least not so much.

Don't know where that is, but just spotted an lady around her 50's with a fur and Scottish beret alongside matching red Beats, first or last stage of infection?

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #95 of 206
Don't know where that is, but just spotted an lady around her 50's with a fur and Scottish beret alongside matching red Beats, first or last stage of infection?

Was that lady GaGa? Lol

It is a huge injustice to buy your kid Beats when that kid only knows about Beats and not any other brand.

Visual looks just as valid as sonic? Yes and no.

Half the people on public commute use Apple earbuds or Dr. Dre beats, which illustrates how clueless those people are when it comes to variety. Mainstream media has suffocated the products down on consumers. That and 'booming bass' somehow equals 'sound quality'. 

I'm no audiophile but it is disgusting how much of an impact Apple earbuds & Dr. Dre Beats/tours have made on consumers. Neither of them are even that good. They are overhyped and vastly overpriced.

$ 30 dollars for stock earbuds? Lulz.

The earpods actually have some good reviews...

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #96 of 206
Funny thing for me was my younger brother who asked me to avoid Beats hahaha
( Before I was totally don't know anything about headphone stuff )

He introduced me to this site and learned many thing in process !!!
BTW your brother are very fortunate that he got a really good brother who 're going to buy him a $300 headphone :D

In my case, all my headphones are bought by myself through doing part time and save my pocket money ( I 'm an uni student but my pocket money is so little hmm.. ard rm500 ( USD 165 ) one month ) In order to earn more money , I 'm never eat at school canteen so just cook at hostel. )
My parents nor my family members support my hobby but they allowed me to start my hobby with my own money

hmm..I'm personally think you should made them avoid beats hahaha TRY V MODA M80 ~ It has nice look with sweet sound 

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #98 of 206
Call me crazy, but you could just get him the Beats and stick them with some new driver transplants (didn't somebody switch some D7000 drivers into there before?). He gets the look he wants (whether or not folding under social stigma like that is good or not, a completely different subject), and some decent sound as well. Could be a good learning opportunity for both of you as well. Seems like everybody wins!
 [size=xx-large]+[/size] = !

Or these
But I don't think you'd want that...

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #99 of 206
Originally Posted by Pual /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Why are we trying to teach him the,"value of money"? Who cares, this isn't Parent-Fi is it? Just get him a pair of headphones. 

No, this isn't parent-fi, but some people on here seem to be good people, and most likely good parents, and actually care about people ruining their kids even if we're not related. Also - why post if your attitude is "screw it just buy the twerp whatever" I try using forums to learn and.. oh.. help other people.

Thank you, Pual. Saved me the reply.

Quote:
True that this is getting out of hand, but still have to say that I'm not big fan of counterfeit products of any kind. If the kid is going to get the Beats he's craving for, then better learn him respect the value of his gift and not give a cheap-o for him to break. No matter if breakage happens anyhow, but it would be good that the kid then knew the amount of money lost and that things aren't for free and therefor can be broken. Anyway, I understand perfectly the whole discussion of getting him an unhyped and better value for money headphone, but hearing what you say I would say that only way not to get the kid dissapointed opening the present is to get him what he's asking.

Reading your comment, at first I was going "I completely agree with this", since I thought you were going down the road of "I understand the reasoning, but still, offering him disguised counterfeits is a bad move". But then I noticed the last part.
Are you even serious? Getting children (not even a teenager in this case) what they want simply not to disappoint them?

Edit: Sorry, after going through the thread I see this is being taken as derailing. Moving on then...

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #101 of 206
Quote:
I'm bringing him to my store this weekend, and I'm literally going to make him try all the headphones we have that are in the price range. And I'm only going to ask him to show me the one that sounded the best to him. From there we can reason, and as someone mentioned in this thread, ask him to name qualities that make him want the diamond tears so bad (which hopefully he'll have a hard time doing).

He shouldn't be biased, he's not the type of kid to be like "the diamond tears sounded waay better" just because that's what he wants.

The odds of him liking those phones best out of ~15 headphones are very slim in my opinion.

Be sure to test with a blindfold on him 
wink.gif

Also, nothing says I love bass better than a headphone amp to go with a pair of phones. After he finds the best sounding phones using the type of source he will be using, let him try them with a small portable amp. An inexpensive FiiO could be a good bribe to sweeten the deal. I just gave my 13-year-old son Ultrasone 580s and one of fred_fred_2004's Cmoy amps off of Ebay. He's loving life with those and his Sansa Clip+. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #102 of 206
Quote:
True that this is getting out of hand, but still have to say that I'm not big fan of counterfeit products of any kind. If the kid is going to get the Beats he's craving for, then better learn him respect the value of his gift and not give a cheap-o for him to break. No matter if breakage happens anyhow, but it would be good that the kid then knew the amount of money lost and that things aren't for free and therefor can be broken. Anyway, I understand perfectly the whole discussion of getting him an unhyped and better value for money headphone, but hearing what you say I would say that only way not to get the kid dissapointed opening the present is to get him what he's asking.

If my kid was "going to be disappointed" if I didn't get him exactly what he wanted, but rather something better, and wasn't willing to learn why/how it is better, he wouldn't be getting anything.

That said - I wont celebrate Christmas, nor will they learn of "Santa". Kids shouldn't be good so that a fat stranger gives them presents - they should be good because that's whats right.

I personally don't gift on birthdays and only limited on Christmas - If i see something I know somebody would really like, I buy it, and they get a present out of nowhere and they always appreciate it WAY more because I thought of them on a seemingly random day rather than on a day where its "expected"

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #103 of 206
Quote:
My $0.02 on bad parenting in this thread (and reinforcing the many people who rightly suggested not making these kids materialistic):

I was born into a "privileged" family, my father grew up in a 1200 sq ft apartment with 3 brothers, a sister, his parents, his grandparents, and his uncle. He slept on the floor until he was 16 when his older siblings moved out.

I went to private school (~$30,000 a yr for high school.. yeah.. crazy) and I didnt get allowance or anything - like most of the other "rich kids" I went to school with. I started working at 13, and got *one* thing for my birthday and christmas - usually something like "I need a new laptop for school cause my 4 year old one is dying" so they'd split the price with me. These are people who go out and buy a new porsche every 6 months.

I learned from a kid how to manage money, and what it was worth. The *worst* thing you can do to kids is screw that up, I know so many people my age (22) who cant handle money, still expect their parents to do everything for them (and their poor parents cant afford it after 4 years of college payments) and end up setting into crap jobs and always being in debt.

Yeah, its an "extreme" connection from giving you kid beatz cause it "makes her happy"

You know what made me happy as a kid? A good home made dinner. Seeing my family on thanksgiving or christmas who I havent seen for a while, or spending time with friends.

I saved up from 13-17 and used all my money to buy a crappy used jeep for $4,800. All the kids at my school drove BMW x5's and camaros (yeah, tying into a recent comment about camaros).

I actually ran into a good friend from HS the other day, he updated me on a lot of the kids who were given everything. Most of them dropped out of college, many work at places like subway or best buy, and four (out of 51 graduating kids) are in prison while most of the rest are broke, on drugs, or, on a rare chance - actually doing alright.

Go figure.

Added bit:
I have the opportunity to work for my family - I could make a corporate salary (a lot) but I don't. I also learned something - money and things aren't everything. I'm a competitive power lifter (horrible paying job.. aka.. no money) and I work as much as I can otherwise (20-30 hours a week) as a personal trainer. I make way less than most people on here, I'm sure - but I guarantee I appreciate my headphones more than many - especially some kids mentioned here.

Kinda the same situation here.
I'm 18 and while my parents aren't "rich" we've never had to do payment plans such as mortgage, car loans, ect. As a matter of fact, my dad is "retired" from just a few (12?) years of service in the forces (no benefits), and my mom is a janitor, yet we bought our house in cash, cars in cash, and my childhood braces in cash (which were a decent chunk of money)

How is this possible you may ask? My parents live below their means, and learning to live below my means is the best thing I've ever gotten, much better than any present. Because of this i always refrain from becoming materialistic, and when i do absolutely need or want something, i conduct weeks/months of research before actually buying something. Because of this, while i buy thing very rarely, i have more items than my friends simply because i buy quality items that last! (they all think I'm spoiled--even though its my own money -.-) Unlike the average consumer that impulse buys crap quality products and throws them away 20 days later. 

Also, just as you, many kids in my school receive 20k+ cars when they turn 16 for absolutely no reason. Most of these kids don't deserve it as they get c-b average. And of course, most of these kids have totaled their cars or have gotten in a major accident. (one girl even totaled her car going 70 in a 45, texting and driving in her new 35k car, admitted to the previous, and her parents bought her another new 35k car!) While me and my best friend drive around beaters, i think having a beater is the most fun thing in the world. We dick around in our cars in the rain (empty parking lots away from the city) without worry of ruining an expensive car, and some of the best memories i've had is opening up a smoking hood and learning how to repair a car. 

Ever sense i can remember i've never asked anything for christmas, and always have told my parents that i dont want anything (to help reduce the load on them). Personally,i believe being non-materialistic is the greatest gift anybody can have, because even when do you splurge on a materialistic level, you appreciate the things you have MUCH more, and the accumulated savings allows me to buy the highest quality XYZ when i want. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #104 of 206
Guys, I'm 13, and I totally HATE Beats. Even before I even knew what audiophiles were. I think that if you show him this, coming from someone his age, he will understand.

Swag really means "Secretly We Are Gay" I'm serious. Swag is a word used by douchebags and morons, so is YOLO. Tell him that if he wants to be a *********
(no offense) he should buy Beats, and put his pants on his knees and shout YOLO everywhere, etc.

Please buy him any other headphone and make him listen and I'm sure he will see, I've convinced many friends, One of them will buy Bowers & Wilkins and the other one ATH-M50's

Tell him this exact words: "Bro, headphones are made for listening not for fashion and looks. If you love music you can wear a clothes hangers as headphones and not give ****."

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #105 of 206
Quote:
Swag really means "Secretly We Are Gay" I'm serious. Swag is a word used by douchebags and morons, so is YOLO. Tell him that if he wants to be a *********
(no offense) he should buy Beats, and put his pants on his knees and shout YOLO everywhere, etc.

What's wrong with being gay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back