Little brother absolutely wants beats for Christmas. Refuses Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, PSB, Focal and V-Moda
Nov 18, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #31 of 206
come on this is headfi, its about getting headphones!!! lol, and i agree with iamthem, the skullcandy aviator is pretty nice, look and sound wise. why dont give him that?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #32 of 206
Are the aviators really as good as head-fiers are saying for what they are? He may be willing to get those if I show him, and they're a bit less flashy I guess... 

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #33 of 206
if you think it would make his day then maybe it would be worth it.  hard to see them just sit there though if he doesn't use em.  bought my dad Senn 555 for christmas last year, think he's maybe used  them twice.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #34 of 206
Heya,

I watched a 2 year old demolish some M80's.

Imagine what an excitable 11 year old is going to do to some plastic Monster headphones.

Also, this sweeping "give him the beats" commentary is exactly why the market is over-taken by trashy flashy plastic junk-phones with huge, enormous prices. People are spending hundreds of dollars on what are essentially toys and giving them to children without them working for anything or even understanding anything about it. I would understand if the kids actually were heavily into high fidelity, but they're not, they're into bassy boom boom and "look cool." These are the kids that grow up and turn into the ones that I work around who whine if they have to actually life a finger in their life and work for something.

Ugh.

Very best,

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #36 of 206
Heya,

I watched a 2 year old demolish some M80's.

Imagine what an excitable 11 year old is going to do to some plastic Monster headphones.

Also, this sweeping "give him the beats" commentary is exactly why the market is over-taken by trashy flashy plastic junk-phones with huge, enormous prices. People are spending hundreds of dollars on what are essentially toys and giving them to children without them working for anything or even understanding anything about it. I would understand if the kids actually were heavily into high fidelity, but they're not, they're into bassy boom boom and "look cool." These are the kids that grow up and turn into the ones that I work around who whine if they have to actually life a finger in their life and work for something.

Ugh.

Very best,

Hey Mal, I was the first to be discouraged, but I can also admit that these headphones in particular are not an embarrassment to monster unlike the beats pro or the inspiration and whatnot. That being said, it's still monster and I'm not keen in having any of fheir product in my home.

They also feel robust I must say, and my brother is very careful with his stuff despite his age (he's not a baby...). What irks me really, is that albeit these have good sq for what they would cost me at work, a momentum or amperior (which are also very bassy) are a better choice. Otherwise I may get him some P5's, but I personally find those phones too dark and treble shelved.

He doesn't care all that much for bass, he wants something musical but that doesnt sound too congested, and that could do justice to the upper mids and low highs just as well as midbass and low mids. He does not want wonky stringed instrument timbres as he plays guitar and does know a lot about music for his age.

To me, the best headphone for him would be an amperior/m4u 2 or a spirit one

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #37 of 206
I'm sorry if I missed it, but I'm kind of wondering why you feel it being your responsibility to buy him a expensive christmas gift such as the beats? Why not just get him some game or something along those lines?

Nov 18, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #38 of 206
Quote:
lol

I can see that scene too, when his friends come to school and decide to test the authenticity of everyone's as-seen-on-TV gangster rapper headphones and his are deemed fake. Then all of the children in the yard chant "Fake, fake! He's-A-Fake!". This is the most traumatizing Christmas ever...

Seriously, as spoiled as I was as a kid if I wanted $300-400 headphones, I had to make a better case than "pimp swagger". Maybe things have changed since those distant '90s.

PHONY.

Nov 18, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #40 of 206
Quote:
Perhaps try going to a local store that has multiple headphones on display and let him blind test to find which one he thinks sounds best.

Quote:
I'm sorry if I missed it, but I'm kind of wondering why you feel it being your responsibility to buy him a expensive christmas gift such as the beats? Why not just get him some game or something along those lines?

Well that's the thing, I work in a hi-fi/ headphone shop so I have access to many many brands; so I can get him a nice gift for a good price, therefore go up the scale a bit. As for video games, he doesn't play much because everything is on his ipod. Otherwise he only plays hockey on xbox

Nov 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #42 of 206
Its Christmas...Just get him what he wants.He will love you for that. Getting him what he wants, not what you think he should want. Get the Beats this year and by next year or the year after he will want something better. Its a lesson in life and a good one at that.

I agree. He'll grow up to be an audiophile if he wants to. Ofcourse he should value your opinion, and propably will in future, but as for now if beats will make him happy then what the heck. Sure a better spend for the money should be something to always go after, but you know kids.. or even adults.

Nov 18, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #43 of 206
Are the aviators really as good as head-fiers are saying for what they are? He may be willing to get those if I show him, and they're a bit less flashy I guess... 

All you have to do is go to best buy and try it out for yourself. I don't have the headphone so wont comment on the sound too extensively but my impression (its been a while since I haven't heard the headphone) was it sounds clear and has plenty of powerful bass, a sound signature that is easily likable. Good luck :)

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #44 of 206
Get your brother to be a hipster?

"I got this cool pair of headphones, but it's probably something you've never heard of." :wink:

I would suggest transplanting drivers from a good headphone onto the crappy Beats headphone, but that has some nasty backfire potential.

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #45 of 206
Quote:

Why do you need to know? If he wants to get him something then let him do so
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back