Lite - DAC 83 RCA Female length
Apr 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Benny-x

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've got a Lite - DAC 83 and I'm having some problems with the RCA female jacks on it. 

Some background on my cables:

Digital - 1.5M BNC -> RCA with Eichmann Silver Bullet Plug
Interconnects - 1M RCAs with Eichmann Bullet Plugs

The Eichmann plugs are special in that the ground for the plug connects via a contact ball/pin on the end of the shell, which is made of polycarbonate/plastic. So if the plug doesn't go all the way to the base of the RCA female it won't connect the ground. 

The first problem is for my coaxial input from my HiFace, the RCA female on the DAC 83 is too long, so the ground pin doesn't touch the end of the RCA female jack.

The second problem is on both of the RCA female jacks on the output, the RCA Right and Left females on the DAC 83 are too long, so the ground pins don't touch the end of the RCA female jacks.

So my big question is what should I do about this? 

Thanks for any help, I'm really drawing a blank besides the process of buying some new RCA females and having some AV shop crack open my DAC 83 and replace them. I don't want to do that, I wouldn't trust someone not destroying mine :'-(  unless there was someone with a good working knowledge of DACs.

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 3
For some reason many of these China/Hong Kong products use unusually long RCA connectors that causes much trouble.  These are the same connectors you can buy separately from various Chinese webstores and eBay, which is probably why other Chinese companies use them in their products.  

It's very easy to desolder the wires inside, unscrew the connector, and swap them out for standard-sized connectors.  I wouldn't pay somebody to do it for you unless you have never soldered before.  Even then, it's basic soldering, which is easy to learn.  

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for answering, and that's interesting to know about the slightly out of spec RCA jacks. Had I had a different RCA male I'd have never noticed, but since the Eichmanns are a little unique in their implementation it was hard to miss. 

But yeah, although I'm a very hands on kinda guy, and I will definitely get into the DIY stuff with my gear, I don't know if this DAC is where I want to start. It does sound simple and you sound encouraging in it, but I'd be pretty pissed if I ruined something. I'm also in the process of just moving back home to Canada and have both no supplies and nowhere to work on it. If I just buy some normal RCA females online and take them to some hi-fi shop they should be able to hook me up.

But that leads into another question of mine, there are quite a few different styles of RCA females.
There's :
PCB right-angle mount
Chassis mount, nut inside

Chassis mount, nut outside (I think this is mine)

Then there's this stuff by Cardas (which I've wondered about for a while anyway):
GRFA LONG THIN Female jack
GRFA S THICK Female jack
GRFA LONG THICK Female jack

What does any of that "thick", "s thick", "thin", and "long" stuff mean?

And lastly there's the mounting hole stuff, that's about the diameter or the hole in the back of the DAC, right? The hole that the RCA female jack is supposed to fit through, right? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back