lists lists lists
Nov 3, 2007 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Lurge

New Head-Fier
hey there

i'm planning to make a new list of all the music i own and what i still would like to add to my collection. now, i was wondering how you guys (and girls of course) make your lists! i was thinking of a handwritten (!) list made out of an adressbook where i would order my music by artist, then album and mayby all the songs of the album next to it. Extra information such as release date, artists (jazz), label, etc. may be added too!
what do you think? any suggestions?

thanks!

ps: why handwritten? well, i like the look en feel of a little book i can carry around, instead of those piece of papers you print from your "on-line, hyper-digital, super-computer, database, professional - list"... i love the new digital lifestyle but music = emotions, feelings, passion,... it just got to be something i made with my own bare hands, something i can be proud of...

Nov 3, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 12
yes i list too.

i quickly jot down a song if i hear it with some lyrics to try and ID it later.

i also when listening to one artist, sometimes think of another similar artist and jot that down to buy at a later date.

i also do this with my tab, stuff i owe to people. adding and subtracting and keeping a running total.

i also maintain an audio based wishlist, with things like cable upgrades and devices and customs etc etc. this is the only one that is mandatory to work through.

and my most prolific list is with films i would like to see.

this is always getting added to but rarely realized, here are my last few entries;

eastern promise
control
i am legend
30 days of night

Nov 3, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 12
I keep a little list written down in my wallet and when I hit a store, I pull it out to remember what I wanted.

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ps: why handwritten? well, i like the look en feel of a little book i can carry around, instead of those piece of papers you print from your "on-line, hyper-digital, super-computer, database, professional - list"... i love the new digital lifestyle but music = emotions, feelings, passion,... it just got to be something i made with my own bare hands, something i can be proud of...

I also love the feel and idea of a book. I picked up a little book to keep track of my coin collection, and right now I carry a small notepad to jot down artists or songs I want to check into. I think the address book is an excellent idea, because I also like to have things organized alphebetically, you know, for my OCD, and it would make it easy when your in the store to find music. I'll probably have to go pick up a small address book.

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 12
I started a list of my albums on Recordnerd.com. Kinda an easy way to catalogue your stuff and if you ever want to trade cd's or vinyl, it's set up to facilitate that with other listers on the site. I also keep a list on a scrap of paper in my wallet of music I want so when I pop in a store, I don't forget it all and end buying whatever they're playing over the speakers...

my (incomplete) list:
http://www.recordnerd.com/members?pa...32e608b5c7d4b6

Nov 3, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 12
I just use Microsoft Excel to keep track of everything I want to buy, which is ALOT.

I don't keep track of what I already own because it changes so much so quickly and it would take a full time position to keep it up to date!
tongue.gif

But you could keep track of what you own in Excel and it's easy to sort things by what heading their under, such as artist, album, genre, date, etc.

Good luck in whatever you find that works!!

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #9 of 12
I use a linux-based program called Tellico to catalogise my non-classical CD collection. The beauty about this free little tool is that it can search the Amazon database and extract data from it (track list, genre, labels; sometimes cover arts and comments). Just key in the name of the artist and pick from the list. This save a lot of typing hassles (although the genre listing in Amazon is a mess in dire need of cleaning up)

If you can't find your CD on Amazon, just put it in your rom drive, and Tellico will look it up at the CDDB database. CDDB does not come with cover arts, but adding them is as easy as drag-n-drop.

Some screenshots (Sorted by Artist; overall view):

Tellico1.jpg

(Sorted by Genre; individual entry view):

Tellico2.jpg

I'm planning to catalogise my classical CDs later when I have the time. However, as the database structures at Amazon and CDDB do not accommodate classical music well. It's going to be quite an undertaking.

Nov 4, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #11 of 12
I keep an alphabatised list (sorted by artist then album) of all albums I own in a text file on my computer. I also keep it on my phone and iPod, and periodically update it. At least one of those things is always with me. Can't really think of a better way of doing it.

May 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
yes i list too.

i quickly jot down a song if i hear it with some lyrics to try and ID it later.

5 years later..

I hope you are using Shazaam now :)

Digital lists are now portable. I'm sure there are multiple apps to track either generic lists or song lists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back