Listening to used vinyl LPs
Oct 2, 2009 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mikeg

Headphoneus Supremus
Most of my > 4,000 vinyl LP collection consists of records that cost 10 - 25 cents each, and none cost more than $1. Needless to say, residual surface noise remains on many records, even after thorough cleaning with steam, and use of a VPI 16.5 RCM. And, needless to say, hearing residual surface noise spoils my listening experience. I've found a good way to virtually eliminate the most irritating part of this residual surface noise; i.e., some crackling, and virtually all sharp clicks. I do this by using an Esoteric Sound Surface Noise Reducer, which is a device that costs about $390. I've found that, when set as recommended, there is absolutely no degradation in sound quality, while irritating surface noise level is greatly reduced on most records. At least for me, listening to used vinyl LPs would be unpleasant, and therefore impractical, if it were not for the use of this device. So, now I have a great collection of vinyl LPs that sound terrific, and cost a fraction of such a CD collection. BTW, I do a preliminary cleaning of newly bought used records with a Spin-Clean Record Washer System that cost <$80; i.e., I can clean >50 records/hr when using this system. I then briefly listen to these records in order to identify the "keepers". I then use steam and the VPI 16.5 RCM to final clean the "keepers". When doing this more thorough cleaning, I can finish about 12 records/hr. In all cases, I place the records in dish racks to fully dry overnight. A final comment regarding sound quality of vinyl versus CDs. I think that well cleaned, used stereo vinyl LPs, sound at least as good as most CDs and SACDs; in fact, I almost always prefer the sound of vinyl. But, the biggest benefit that I've gotten from buying used vinyl is the chance to hear music that I never would have heard, had I bought CDs; i.e., I've gotten 60 LPs for the price of one $15 CD, and this without any sacrifice in sound quality.

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 8
Many thanks for the tip! I also have a number of records with a bit of surface noise, so I will absolutely check that out.

Also, I completely agree with you about vinyl. Getting boxes and boxes of cheap discs you can't find on digital is the best part.

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 8
What kind of brush are you using to clean the vinyl? Also, are you using "just" steam or some other record cleaning liquid, in addition to the steam?

And why do you place the records in a rack? Is your 16.5 broken?

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 8
My cleaning method is similar to, though not at elaborate, as the one at the following site: YouTube - Vinyl record cleaning with steam

My 16.5 works well, but I leave records in racks overnight, after vacuuming with the RCM, just to assure complete dryness. Notice that use of a rack is also shown at the preceding site. As for the brush, I use one that resembles the one shown at the following site: Needle Doctor 1-800-229-0644, Mobile Fidelity LP Brush

I use this brush to scrub-in Super Record Wash that's shown at the following site: MOBILE FIDELITY LP SUPER RECORD WASH (32oz) - elusivedisc

I'm beginning to wonder whether using two sequential washes with the Spin-Clean Record Washer System may not be as good as use of the 16.5 RCM. This Record Washer System is shown at the following site: SPIN-CLEAN RECORD WASHING SYSTEM-Garage-A-Records-1-888-800-7597

I plan to compare the two methods of cleaning because I can probably clean 3X as many records per hour with the Spin-Clean system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of brush are you using to clean the vinyl? Also, are you using "just" steam or some other record cleaning liquid, in addition to the steam?

And why do you place the records in a rack? Is your 16.5 broken?

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #6 of 8
i use China made RCM (around US$400.00 bought locally) with built-in powerful vacuum machine that dries up the LP of cleaner solution

how i do it
1) clamp (oem part of the rcm) the LP on platter of said RCM to avoid slippage of LP during vacuum/drying stage...turn ON Platter spin switch.. then pour LP cleaner solution (i use DIY LP cleaner solution)
2) brush (comes oem with rcm) placed on LP surface to distribute solution evenly on the entire groove surface excluding the label sticker portion
3) put modest pressure on brush so the bristles dig up dirt stuck on groves.. allow 3 to 7 complete platter rotation/spin during brushing stage depending on condition of LP
4) remove brush and turn ON vacuum switch to suck out liquid mixed with dirt...the vacuum tip/wand (tubular clear acrylic plastic) of rcm makes contact with spinning LP... spin 3 to 7 rounds to dry the surface
5) while still spinning (vacuum/drying stage) i use dry tissue paper to dry up liquid near the label and on the outer edge of the LP

repeat same process on the other side of the LP

DIY solution: 700 cc distilled water (not medical grade), 300 cc 70% isopropyl alcohol, 15 to 18 drops of degrease/detergent (liquid dish washing solutin "Joy Ultra") ... shake well.. viola.. 1000cc of DIY LP cleaner solution

more than 98% of pops and clicks removed... needless to say, LP sound almost as clean as a CD.. almost ... hence, much pleasing listen to LPs

after the routine LP cleaning the remaining audible noise usually emanate from deep surface scratches.. hence, i avoid listening to LPs with such scratches

i have LPs i bought since the 70s.. still ok as we took care of these very well (i guess)

btw, i wear Peltor hearing protection muffs because my rcm blast more than 105db (measured via my SPL meter) of noise during vacuum/drying stage

will post pictures when available light is ample

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 8
It seems that since you're going through a very SERIOUS cleaning regiment, and your vinyl still sounds snap, crackle and poppy, you might just avoid purchasing records in such bad shape, regardless of how inexpensive they are. Or, just buy the trashy records of music you know will be plenty loud, without much in the sense of dynamics, so that the music itself will mask some (or most) of the surface noise. You know, stay away from quiet classical pieces or anything ECM-like.

Personally, I don't feel (though I've admittingly never tried) anything in the chain, placed specifically to reduce the surface noise of vinyl, can do so without also removing some of the music.

I've had the 16.5 for many, many years and have never felt the need to dry the records further on a dishrack. Seems a bit overkill to me. Also, I've got a second record player in my bedroom system that I use to specifically listen to tons of records I've purchased for cheap (though not as cheap and in VG+ to M- shape) that I just throw on without the PIA cleaning regiment. If I like it, I might clean it; maybe not.

I've read so much about how the surface temperature on a record, while spinning, created by the stylus is so much that any debris in the grooves get imbedded into the vinyl, forever destroying it with the pops and crackles, but think it pretty much hogwash.

Vinyl can be great fun, but to me, when the cleaning takes so long, I sometimes lose interest and just go for a CD.

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 8
Actually only about 20% of the 25 cent records that I buy have excessive surface noise, and I get rid of most of them.* About another 20% are almost as quiet as CDs, while the remaining 60% have essentially no surface noise when played though the Esoteric Surface Noice Reducer (which is really the main subject of my post). But, I find that thorough cleaning has another benefit; i.e., a very noticeable improvent in sound quality.* As a result of cleaning, even records with significant surface noise have wonderful fidelity and clarity, and that's why some of them remain "keepers".

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that since you're going through a very SERIOUS cleaning regiment, and your vinyl still sounds snap, crackle and poppy, you might just avoid purchasing records in such bad shape, regardless of how inexpensive they are.* Or, just buy the trashy records of music you know will be plenty loud, without much in the sense of dynamics, so that the music itself will mask some (or most) of the surface noise.* You know, stay away from quiet classical pieces or anything ECM-like.* Personally, I don't feel (though I've admittingly never tried) anything in the chain, placed specifically to reduce the surface noise of vinyl, can do so without also removing some of the music.I've had the 16.5 for many, many years and have never felt the need to dry the records further on a dishrack.* Seems a bit overkill to me.* Also, I've got a second record player in my bedroom system that I use to specifically listen to tons of records I've purchased for cheap (though not as cheap and in VG+ to M- shape) that I just throw on without the PIA cleaning regiment.* If I like it, I might clean it; maybe not.** I've read so much about how the surface temperature on a record, while spinning, created by the stylus is so much that any debris in the grooves get imbedded into the vinyl, forever destroying it with the pops and crackles, but think it pretty much hogwash.* Vinyl can be great fun, but to me, when the cleaning takes so long, I sometimes lose interest and just go for a CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back