Listening to the Qualia 010's
Oct 12, 2004 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

globalbee

New Head-Fier
A few more thoughts after listening to the Qualia 010’s.

With my existing setup, the Qualia 010’s can make quite a few CD’s sound a bit digital. On some CD’s, the resulting sound is extremely digital. That is the sorry state of affairs for some 16/44.1 recordings. Some tube rolling may improve this to the level of acceptability. Right now I just wince, remove the CD and try another.

That’s the bad news, and it is an issue.

The great news is when something like a Gold MFSL CD is played. Those CD’s have a wonderfully warm sound that take advantage of the Qualia’s. Playing them has been a complete joy. It’s that’s experience when you are surprised that the recording is over. It happens so quickly. Lost in pure pleasure.

In rotation have been the following:

MFSL Simon & Garfunkel: Bookends

MFSL Cat Stevens: Teaser and Firecat

MFSL SACD Aimee Mann: Lost in Space

Analogue Productions 24K Gold Limited Edition Janis Ian: Breaking Silence

DCC 24K Gold Disc Joni Mitchell: Blue

Capital SACD Pink Floyd: Dark Side Of The Moon

On each piece, I could go on a rant about subtle things being heard for the first time. The holographic haunting background vocals on Bookend’s “Save The Life Of My Child”. How Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel’s voices subtlety blend together in the beginning of “America”. The echo affect of the word “me” in “Fakin’ IT”. The fragility of Janis Ian’s voice can be realized. Too many to mention right now.

After days of 010 listening, the Orpheus was played with several of the same CD’s. Initial reaction was the Orpheus has richer and fuller mid’s. That’s very true. The Orpheus is definitely more euphonic. The Orpheus does not have the resolution and soundstage of the 010’s. It’s not close. Poor quality CD’s sound much better on the Orpheus. I prefer the Qualia 010 with Maestro ZR on the aforementioned CD’s. Not on some others. The blame should be with those CD’s.

Once again, digital sounding CD recordings make the 010’s mid’s a nightmare. Maybe the incoming tubes will improve this. Add a bit of bloom to the 010’s. It’s wait and see.

Right now I am listening to Dark Side Of The Moon. The Qualia 010 and Maestro ZR absolutely do justice to this masterpiece. This recording demands articulation, extention, transparency and a huge soundstage. Can any other headphone and amp combination come near to what I am now hearing? I seriously doubt it. Never liked the Dark Side Of The Moon on headphones before tonight.

So maybe the thought is save some of my other favorite CD’s for the Orpheus. Kickback with the 010’s for some of the spectacular recordings.

Oct 12, 2004 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 56
Not ready to go that far. I would say that anything very revealing can show both the good and/or the bad of a recording.

It is all a matter of combinations. Does it make sense to place a $50 pair of headphones with a $4,000 amp? Or vice versa? I would not want to use the 010’s with an analytical amp or a poor source. The results would be disappointing.

Regarding source material, the question may be do I want to have headphones accommodating lousy recordings and never experience the absolute thrill of great recordings?

Now listening to The Allman Brothers Band’s SACD version of “Eat A Peach”. I would sure hate to miss this experience via the 010’s just to accommodate the lowest common denominator.

Oct 12, 2004 at 9:16 AM Post #4 of 56
A I know the Qualia and as you said about them, you do not think that any tube amp add a little color to the most precise-monitor headphones we have today? Try a hi-end solid state amp and you will see what this headphones is really capable to do ... solid state do not means "digital" sound, the highest quality of a solid state amp can be even more musical then many others tube amps. This is my last experience.

I doubt that with the Qualia + tube amp you do not hear some hiss or hum... very hard to find a totally silent or dead tube amp. For a solid state this problem is simpler.

Best!
Nicola

Oct 12, 2004 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
I doubt that with the Qualia + tube amp you do not hear some hiss or hum... very hard to find a totally silent or dead tube amp. For a solid state this problem is simpler.

Best!
Nicola

sure Nicola,
but did you try a singlepower?
wink.gif

j|!

Oct 12, 2004 at 1:08 PM Post #6 of 56
Nik, I am not sure who you were addressing regarding your remarks about tube versus solid state amplifiers, or regarding hiss. It is not the best approach to tell someone what they think based upon a remark they did not make.

Both tube and solid state amplifiers can add their own sonic signatures. Both solid state and tube amplifiers have their own design issues. But, none of this relates to what I had posted.

Oct 12, 2004 at 1:10 PM Post #7 of 56
Jacopo, I'm SURE!

The Qualia has a peak around 2khz, if you whant the highest dynamic and linearity you must accept the littlest NF (unpercetible.....).

I think that only digital amps and particulars "muting gate" or equalizers, will do totally dead the Qualia in that window (2khz).

So I'm convinced that the "problem" (but I repeat, it is not a really problema just theorical...) is the headphone and not the amp...

The Supra was noisy if you go to read some impressions... (may was the tubes used, but I believe that even with good tubes in a particul silent room you can hear something...).

Tomorrow I'll receive the EAR HP-4 and I'll test a tube amp with the Qualia for the first time.

Best!
Nicola

Oct 12, 2004 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by globalbee
Nik, I am not sure who you were addressing regarding your remarks about tube versus solid state amplifiers, or regarding hiss. It is not the best approach to tell someone what they think based upon a remark they did not make.

Both tube and solid state amplifiers can add their own sonic signatures. Both solid state and tube amplifiers have their own design issues. But, none of this relates to what I had posted.

I'm just telling my experiences, generally all are agree that tube amps are more noisy than SS. (generally). But there are even ss amps that are noisy.

For what I know of the Qualia I'm convinced that this can need a SS amp, just this, I do not have any other intentions...

I'll test the EAR HP-4 tomorrow (that is a tube amp and I'll tell you my impressions about Qualia + tube amp).

I do not have any intention to convice anybody other to buy my RP010, first because is NOT FOR SALE, second because I'd have no any interest in this. I just whant to help the new Qualia owners, to know this can better, surely I'm not the only knower of the Qualia, but I think to do something good to give my experiences.

Best!
Nicola

PS:
May be I'd do not understand well what you have said...

Oct 12, 2004 at 1:39 PM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by globalbee
A few more thoughts after listening to the Qualia 010’s.

With my existing setup, the Qualia 010’s can make quite a few CD’s sound a bit digital. On some CD’s, the resulting sound is extremely digital. That is the sorry state of affairs for some 16/44.1 recordings. Some tube rolling may improve this to the level of acceptability. Right now I just wince, remove the CD and try another.

That’s the bad news, and it is an issue.

The great news is when something like a Gold MFSL CD is played. Those CD’s have a wonderfully warm sound that take advantage of the Qualia’s. Playing them has been a complete joy. It’s that’s experience when you are surprised that the recording is over. It happens so quickly. Lost in pure pleasure.

In rotation have been the following:

MFSL Simon & Garfunkel: Bookends

MFSL Cat Stevens: Teaser and Firecat

MFSL SACD Aimee Mann: Lost in Space

Analogue Productions 24K Gold Limited Edition Janis Ian: Breaking Silence

DCC 24K Gold Disc Joni Mitchell: Blue

Capital SACD Pink Floyd: Dark Side Of The Moon

On each piece, I could go on a rant about subtle things being heard for the first time. The holographic haunting background vocals on Bookend’s “Save The Life Of My Child”. How Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel’s voices subtlety blend together in the beginning of “America”. The echo affect of the word “me” in “Fakin’ IT”. The fragility of Janis Ian’s voice can be realized. Too many to mention right now.

After days of 010 listening, the Orpheus was played with several of the same CD’s. Initial reaction was the Orpheus has richer and fuller mid’s. That’s very true. The Orpheus is definitely more euphonic. The Orpheus does not have the resolution and soundstage of the 010’s. It’s not close. Poor quality CD’s sound much better on the Orpheus. I prefer the Qualia 010 with Maestro ZR on the aforementioned CD’s. Not on some others. The blame should be with those CD’s.

Once again, digital sounding CD recordings make the 010’s mid’s a nightmare. Maybe the incoming tubes will improve this. Add a bit of bloom to the 010’s. It’s wait and see.

Right now I am listening to Dark Side Of The Moon. The Qualia 010 and Maestro ZR absolutely do justice to this masterpiece. This recording demands articulation, extention, transparency and a huge soundstage. Can any other headphone and amp combination come near to what I am now hearing? I seriously doubt it. Never liked the Dark Side Of The Moon on headphones before tonight.

So maybe the thought is save some of my other favorite CD’s for the Orpheus. Kickback with the 010’s for some of the spectacular recordings.

Very interesting comparison between the Qualia and the Orpheus. I need to know more (if you can) because the Orpheus is the only one TOP class headphones I never had.

Best!
Nicola

Oct 12, 2004 at 1:49 PM Post #10 of 56
And you know what, if the 010s didn't cost more than my car did, I'd probably listening to them too
biggrin.gif

But anywho, my uncle bought one of the first pairs and told me the sound was extremely source-dependant, and not so much amp-dependent.

Oct 12, 2004 at 2:16 PM Post #11 of 56
Thanks for these impressions. I've debating whether to blow a bonus on the 010s or upgrade my sources and amps. The headphone geek in me wanted the 010s but now I think common sense will prevail and my 3ks will be better suited to a fat amp and source. I've noticed a lot of what your talking about with the digital sound of regular cds when I went to 3ksm even. I can't even imagine how it sounds with the 010s. Probably something I don't want.

Have you played any vinyl with them yet?

Re: DSOTM... that's wierd, after listening to it through headphones, I could never go back to speakers
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #12 of 56
Nik,

First, I do not own the Supra. Second, my issue was with the source (16/44.1 CD format) and source material. To my ears, the 010's can reveal the edginess of many CD recordings. That will be a concern for some people. This was mentioned as a caveat.

The Qualia 010’s are very linear and have great range. This should be a very good attribute. Part of the reason other headphones may appear to have better mid’s is because of their lack of range or emphasis on the midrange. Part of it may be attributed to the Qualia 010’s design when applied to a majority of headphone setups.

I am very wary about making broad based statements about tube versus solid state amplifiers. There are great solid state and great tube amplifiers out there. Each may provide an excellent, but alternative solution.

What I will say is that your following remark was off the wall:

“I know the Qualia and as you said about them, you do not think that any tube amp add a little color to the most precise-monitor headphones we have today?”

I made no such statement.

My understanding is that the EAR HP-4 is a good amp. But, the results with the EAR HP-4 and Qualia 010’s will be just that. HP-4 and 010 results.

Finally, I use the Pass Lab amps with electrostatic speakers in my 2CH system. I prefer Pass over other tube amps tried. But, this does not mean that other tube amps would not be a wonderful fit.

Globalbee

Oct 12, 2004 at 2:42 PM Post #13 of 56
First, Aman's uncle has identified the main problem. The issue begins with the source. Some of this can be the quality of the CD player or DAC. Some can be the CD recording. Maybe both. The amp may help mask the CD recording issue.

Regarding whether to buy the 010's, I should admit to bias. I love them. They must be used with a compatible source and amp. If one of the two is weak, you will probably not enjoy the experience.

I have tried DAT with the 010's and really like the results. This is not vinyl, but DAT has a bit of analog quality to it. Especially when recorded at 16/48 from a great source. DAT provides a bit of warmth to the 010's.

I will listen to vinyl this Friday over at a friend's home. My vinyl setup is about two months away from delivery. I will have to impose on another for this experience.

Oct 12, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #14 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
The Supra was noisy if you go to read some impressions... (may was the tubes used, but I believe that even with good tubes in a particul silent room you can hear something...).

It's generally best to not post impressions of gear that you don't have first hand experience with. I own three Supra's. All are dead quiet as far up as you can turn the volume. I did get some small hiss at the highest volume levels from the EAR HP4 when I owned that amp. Since this was far above my listening levels, it was not a big deal.

From my review of the original Supra:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
Background noise? I tried maxing the volume of the Supra with nothing playing. I had to check to make sure that my headphones were plugged in, and that the tubes were glowing. All I heard at maximum volume was quiet.

Oct 12, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #15 of 56
No singlepower amp that I have heard has any noise...they are tuned for this with Sony CD-3000 headphones which are the most sensitive out there and all I heard was DEAD-BLACK-SILENCE at all positions of the volume knob.

This is with Maestro, PPX3, PPX3 6SN7, MPX3, Old Supra SDS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back