Listening to Open full-size headphones + Speakers at the same time.
May 2, 2012 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

semmio

New Head-Fier
I'm wondering if anyone here has tried this. I was bored and this idea came to me. My speakers are not very good, but the effect is pretty interesting. I guess if you have good speakers then you'd get the benefits of listening to speakers and headphones combined. Somebody with good gears please give it a shot!

May 2, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 6
It would be better if you had a crossover and fed low frequencies to a subwoofer and everything else to your headphones..

May 2, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
If you're already using a subwooofer I see no reason to not use all speakers.

Agreed.

During the day, I use speakers. During the night, I switch to headphones. I test with headphones and speakers together just for fun. I have 4 subwoofers in the house, it's quite interesting to have volume on low, but have incredible amounts of sub-bass rumbling, yet still have detail and mids from a set of headphones (closed ones even, the bass travels right through them hah). It's an interesting effect. For pure sound, speakers are frankly better to me. But for fun, it's interesting to try weird combinations to see what happens.

Very best,

May 2, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 6
I don't have a sub woofer and my gear is hardly high end but playing my AD700 and Dayton BA652.  You get a increased since of openness and sound being outside you as opposed to the in your head with just headphones alone and you get physical felt bass I'd imagine this would be much better if I had a nice sub woofer that could handle the lowest frequency(Altough I'm playing both using my EQ settings for my AD700 so the pair of bookshelves are outputting alot more bass then at flat).  And I get the increased sound quality thanks to the headphones which sound better then my speakers.  Its an interesting experiment in sound but not something I would use regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back