Listening to headphones and hearing the music
Sep 10, 2012 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Windsor

1000+ Head-Fier
[size=11.111111640930176px]A few years ago, after working as a pro musician (drummer/vocalist) for around a decade, [/size]I decided to get some great new headphones to enhance my experience of recorded music and audio, and with my wanting pointed in the direction of the best headphone rig possible, I set off on my quest.

Along the road to my holy grail of headphone rigs, I discovered Head-Fi and researched extensively, met with people, and tried many headphones (including those costing as much as £20,000), headphones that are considered the best in the world. Before I knew it I was back at my place with a highly-recommended headphone model that looked great. I plugged in and really loved the experience. It was like hearing recorded music for the first time - yes!

But after a while I began to wonder if there were better headphones than what I had and if I would enjoy other headphones more, so I resumed my research and discovered there actually were other headphones considered better than what I had, and I decided to buy yet another headphone. Thankfully my headphones didn’t mind my aurally promiscuous ways. :)

Fast-forward a few more months of the process and I had acquired a flagship headphone rig that looked amazing on paper, one that seemed to quell even the most pernickety aspects of my seemingly unending discernment. But when it came to listening sessions, I soon noticed that I often felt unfulfilled and was back to compulsively thinking about the qualities of the headphone's sound, analysing the depth of the soundstage, the sibilance and quality of the treble, and how much difference the new cable was actually making. Sure, I had the headphone I wanted in all it's ultra-revealing glory but I was not hearing nor enjoying the music. It felt like I had just been chasing my own tail.

However, around that time it occurred to me that there were some times I listened with to the same music with the same headphone (and yes, even with the same EQ settings :) that my level of enjoyment was absolutely heightened. In that moment I saw clearly and realized just how obvious it was why I had been feeling dissatisfied. To me that one insight was worth more to me than all of the thinking I'd done up to that point.

During my next listening session following the insight, my experience was so different. As I listened, it was as if I was in a studio with the musicians on the recording listening to playback. It was awesome! And as my understanding changed futher, my experience got deeper, way deeper, and exponentially more enjoyable in a way that I'm so grateful to say still continues with headphones, music, and in every other aspect of my life. 

So often in our quest for the best in any area of endeavour – whether that be that in relationships, career, or physical health – we can achieve the forms of our wanting such as headphones, cars, and skills and yet still feel that something's missing. Those of us who innocently look for fulfilment in the forms they think it takes are listening to headphones instead of hearing the music of life directly and are missing a more fulfilling experience that can actually make creating what we want much, much simpler and easier.

Have you noticed areas of your life where you're listening to headphones instead of enjoying the music? If so you need only see beyond your thinking and you will hear the music more clearly than you ever have. Right here you can realize that the deeper music of life is only ever just a thought away from anything you are thinking, and when you listen and experience in that way, the music of life shows up freshly and like never before.

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 10
Heya,

It's both.

Kind of like when someone recites a beautiful poem, but they do it with a lisp.

The messenger sometimes can impede upon the message with it's ability to interpret.

I find that once you find a headphone that is comfortable, has the sound stage and level of isolation that you're happy with, and has the sound signature that you're happy with and you've tweaked it with an equalizer to really take care of anything left haunting your ears, you're good to go, start listening to the music and you're no longer worrying or listening to what's "not right" with your listening device.

Lastly, I find that it doesn't take an expensive "best" high-end option to enjoy the music. A $200 headphone with a $50 DAC/AMP is sufficient for the majority. My favorite music listening devices that are headphones are actually not even high-ends even though I have high-ends.

Very best,

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
Heya,

It's both.

Kind of like when someone recites a beautiful poem, but they do it with a lisp.

The messenger sometimes can impede upon the message with it's ability to interpret.

I find that once you find a headphone that is comfortable, has the sound stage and level of isolation that you're happy with, and has the sound signature that you're happy with and you've tweaked it with an equalizer to really take care of anything left haunting your ears, you're good to go, start listening to the music and you're no longer worrying or listening to what's "not right" with your listening device.

Lastly, I find that it doesn't take an expensive "best" high-end option to enjoy the music. A $200 headphone with a $50 DAC/AMP is sufficient for the majority. My favorite music listening devices that are headphones are actually not even high-ends even though I have high-ends.

Very best,

Thanks for your reply.

Exploring different headphone choices can be lots of fun and allow a person to find a headphone that matches their preferences, and that's what led me and so many people to sites like this. But essentially, someone's headphone preference and the headphone they are using has nothing to do with their ability to enjoy what they have. I enjoy my Apple In-Ear Headphones out of my iPhone just as much as my other headphones costing many times the price, which is an awesome privilege. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 10
Listening to music is such an individual experience. Do you listen to appreciate what you are listening to or what you are listening with? Does it matter? Does your rig give you what you expect from it or something beyond your expectations? Can you ever be satisfied for long before your mind is saying if only these were a little more something or other? I think perfection is a moving target and trying to find it is impossible. I have a very nice Rolex watch. It keeps good time. I have a twenty dolar Timex. It keeps good time. Which is better? If there was just one "best" thing or way available and it cost fifty bucks we could all close down Head-Fi and move on. That wouldn't be as much fun.

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Listening to music is such an individual experience. Do you listen to appreciate what you are listening to or what you are listening with? Does it matter? Does your rig give you what you expect from it or something beyond your expectations? Can you ever be satisfied for long before your mind is saying if only these were a little more something or other? I think perfection is a moving target and trying to find it is impossible. I have a very nice Rolex watch. It keeps good time. I have a twenty dolar Timex. It keeps good time. Which is better? If there was just one "best" thing or way available and it cost fifty bucks we could all close down Head-Fi and move on. That wouldn't be as much fun.

Hi there - sorry for the delay in my response. I wrote a comprehensive one on the weekend but my browser window closed and I lost the content. This is probably better and will be more concise.

These days I mostly just listen to the music and don't really think it matters if I do that or listen to headphones. I have a rig that I have analysed and compared to other rigs and I'm grateful that my current HD 800-based is the 'best' I've owned in line with my preferences. It sounds quite transparent and revealing and I enjoy listening with and to it very much.

In terms of satisfaction, if I follow thinking-based desires then achieve them I receive a temporary 'hit' of satisfaction but always want more, as the arising of wanting is a normal human characteristic as I understand it. Fulfilment is a different story. I know I'm just using words, but if people think fulfilment comes from chasing the desires that appears in their thoughts then they will never be fulfilled. Fulfilment appears at a deeper/higher level of awareness than thought content and I find it shows up in our conscious awareness the more we understand the nature of thought.

I think that there is no 'better' in terms of gear as 'better' indicates subjective choice which is different for everyone. People can find the analysis of differences interesting and enjoyable and I think it's great that sites such as head-fi exist. Beyond analysis it is possible to enjoy whatever we have whether Rolex or Timex, Stax or Sennheiser, or Ferrari or Ford, and I'm very grateful to experience that. 

I'm more than happy to discuss this further if you want. 

Best wishes,
Windsor

Sep 18, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 10
I do find myself doing some too-critical listening sometimes, but I've also found that a $150 pair of headphones (Philips Citiscape Uptowns) and a source as simple as my phone (GS II) make things sound very good to my ears.  Additionally, even if I found myself at some point with a large amount of disposable income (doubtful), I think I'd be hard-pressed to spend more than $500 on a pair of headphones.  It just seems kind of silly after that point.

Sep 18, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
I do find myself doing some too-critical listening sometimes, but I've also found that a $150 pair of headphones (Philips Citiscape Uptowns) and a source as simple as my phone (GS II) make things sound very good to my ears.  Additionally, even if I found myself at some point with a large amount of disposable income (doubtful), I think I'd be hard-pressed to spend more than $500 on a pair of headphones.  It just seems kind of silly after that point.

Head-fi is definitely diminishing returns after a a few hundred dollars in, but higher quality audio equipment can be part of a very rewarding experience. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back