Listening to crap coded music, with Good headphones?!??!
Jan 6, 2009 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

myk7000

1000+ Head-Fier
Music from iTunes is 128 right?

Is it worth getting a pair of amazing headphones and an amp to listen to this type of music?

I'm not going for the FLAC files and 320 kbps songs but I want a great pair of headphones and an amp.

Is it worth an upgrade from lets say a sr60 to d2000 even when the music im listening to is simply iTunes grade?

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 41
It would be an upgrade, no doubt. It is unfortunate you can't hear your new phones to their full potential though and possible flaws in crappy encoded music may show up.

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 41
Personally, I started redownloading my library in lossless after I decided to invest in high-caliber phones. I don't regret the decision.

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 41
A recent update (as in a few hours ago
tongue.gif
) to iTunes has removed the DRM and upped the bitrate (for most songs, I think), making it a slightly better proposition, though they do charge slightly more.

Of course, you can always buy CDs and rip 'em yourself.
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 41
And, you can now upgrade your purchased 128kbps songs to 256kbps and remove the DRM for $0.30 per song.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 41
This is something Head-Fier may debate or have issue with.

But you can find plenty of references showing so called "audiophiles" can't differentiate the difference between 192 KBPS and CD quality. When they got it right, it was purely guessing.

But the blind tests did show "audiophiles" are able to distinguish between 128 and CD. Its generally suggested you should have your music a minimum of 160. 192, or what I use, 192 Variable which ranges between 160-320, variable. Or just keep everything 192-320 CBR.

As for references, there have been so many blind test studies, I'm sure you can find one for yourself.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 41
I've seen some of those studies, and while I have a great respect for statistics, I don't put much stock in them.

For one, they usually play the recordings once. On a first try, I might not get it right either. But as I listen to more detailed recordings several times, I notice things I didn't the first time, and that simply aren't there on lower quality recordings.

While the blind tests between 192 and CD may be inconclusive, the test s between 320 and 128 are not. OP, you should upgrade from 128.

One place that really helped me when I was upgrading my music library to 320 and lossless was the Public library. They have a surprisingly large collection, and you can bring your laptop(if you have one) and rip the cds right there.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 41
A lot of my lowest bitrate iTunes bought stuff still sounds really good through my D5000s even without an amp. Not as great as it could at 320 or on CD, but still really good. Certainly good enough to justify having the 'phones.

I can definitely hear the difference, although I'd say its quite subtle, but its not enough to make me regret the purchase at all.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 41
Wow, I'm really happy about the itunes upgrade. I've been cursing myself for buying so many songs from there and now that I've been upgrading my gear they sound like crap, not to mention can't play them on my linux box.

Only thing is that 30c upgrade fee per song and they make it sound like you're getting a great deal for having to pay for the songs again
frown.gif

Die, DRM, die

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by graj08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen some of those studies, and while I have a great respect for statistics, I don't put much stock in them.

For one, they usually play the recordings once. On a first try, I might not get it right either. But as I listen to more detailed recordings several times, I notice things I didn't the first time, and that simply aren't there on lower quality recordings.

While the blind tests between 192 and CD may be inconclusive, the test s between 320 and 128 are not. OP, you should upgrade from 128.

One place that really helped me when I was upgrading my music library to 320 and lossless was the Public library. They have a surprisingly large collection, and you can bring your laptop(if you have one) and rip the cds right there.

You're right. I had an album of Editors in mp3. There was much chaos in the recordings, like if there were bits out of the audio-wave. Something just didn't seem right. A lot of times I put down my headphones when listening to the album.
A couple of days back I got the FLAC version and even though A-Bing didn't make things really obvious after some time I realized everything did seem right now. The chaos was gone and I actually can listen to the album now.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #12 of 41
The iTunes store can die in a fire, where I'm concerned. Its such an ignorant-consumer targetted money making tool.

Buy CDs and rip them yourself. Its really not difficult at all. That being said, if you have an existing collection of crappy-encoded music, look for headphones forgiving of bad source material. SR60 comes to mind.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #13 of 41
So does that mean I should still get the d2000 instead of the sr60 if i keep with my 128 collection?

Cuz i mean I dont want to be paying for something that I don't get much performance increase out of.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 41
In my mind, the D2000 isn't really that much of an upgrade over the SR-60 anyway.

Nonetheless, it would behoove you to start updating your music past 128 to at least 192. When I'm being honest with myself, that's around the point where I can no longer discern. Anything you bought from itunes is a relatively simple upgrade, and everything else is either a convenient re-rip, or an even more convenient re-download.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #15 of 41
There are some albums I listen to over and over. Those I bought the CD and encoded lossless. Some songs I listened to on the radio and bought the lossy version. Those I probably won't listen to those in a few months. You can selectively upgrade your iTunes music. If you listen to it a lot, it's probably worth it to upgrade.

New music you can buy lossless, then you will get the full effect with new phones. Of course you could go LP, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back