Listening Session - What should I do?
Apr 30, 2010 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

theCanadian

Head-Fier
Right. So. I'm having this girl over in the next couple days (possible soul mate?) for a listening session. We haven't actually swapped music yet, but we've talked about music and we both love stringed instruments. There are other things we click on with our musical tastes, but there is still a lot of room for personal taste so I don't know specifically.

Some albums I think we'd both agree with are:

Daniel Davis - Play for Me
Ratatat - LP3/Loud Pipes
Miri Ben-Ari - The Hip-Hop Violinist

But really, the purpose of the listening session is to show her the subtle differences in performance that we are all familiar with. She has no idea the world we live in
beyersmile.png
Up until now, the only full size headphones I've had are the AD700's. My JVC RX700's arrived today.

So really what I want help with is a track list which will highlight the differences between these two sets. Can you help me? I've never had the opportunity to do comparative listening before. I know the language (somewhat), but I don't really know how to show the differences.

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 21
so... you're dating? how long?
'cause if this is a fairly new thing, then my advice would be to not geek out too much.
icon10.gif

(this advice comes from personal experience. hahahaha)

another approach that might help would be to let her borrow the ad700s for a week. and listen to them from her ipod. then get them back from her and let her borrow the RX700s.

that way you build trust, and also show her that what's yours is hers.
it also takes the pressure off you to come up with a list of tunes...
people will always enjoy head-fi w/ their own music and on their own terms...

best of luck and much happiness, my friend!!!

-the wuss

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 21
"Differences between the two set?" What set? AD700 v. RX700? Or your AD700 v. her whatever headphone, say, iBud?

I have no idea what you are talking but I guess you want to show off your AD700 to a girl that "know nothing about the world we live in"? How can you be so cruel? You want an innocent girl to get desperated about amp and DAC? If so, find live tracks or orchestra performance in large hall etc... to show off AD700 soundstage
biggrin.gif

Don't let her try heavy bass songs on AD700, she will get dissapointed unless you do some EQ prior to listening session
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Differences between the two set?" What set? AD700 v. RX700? Or your AD700 v. her whatever headphone, say, iBud?

I have no idea what you are talking but I guess you want to show off your AD700 to a "know nothing about the world we live in"? If so, find live tracks or orchestra performance in large hall etc... to show off AD700 soundstage
biggrin.gif

Don't let her try heavy bass songs on AD700, she will get dissapointed unless you do some EQ prior to listening session
tongue.gif

Well yeah, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Certain headphones are suited for different things, and have certain characteristics. It's not about showing off the gear. It's to explain my hobby. To most people, most headphones are the same. By showing her that it's not like that, it explains why I'm willing to sink so much money into it.

@TheWuss, she claims to think my "geeking out" is cool.
wink_face.gif
Thanks for the advice.

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by theCanadian /img/forum/go_quote.gif

she claims to think my "geeking out" is cool.
wink_face.gif
Thanks for the advice.

LOL...just wait until you're married.
tongue_smile.gif

Geeking out will be considered too expensive and a waste of time.
frown.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My recommendation...

Just play some Barry White and see what "happens".
wink.gif

icon10.gif

hahahaha
and some luther vandross, and some teddy pendergrass, and some lou rawls, and some marvin gaye..... and........

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
icon10.gif

hahahaha
and some luther vandross, and some teddy pendergrass, and some lou rawls, and some marvin gaye..... and........

Nice!
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is full of win.

I should have known this would happen... probably should have just said friend.

But I'm glad you guys are enjoying yourselves.
regular_smile .gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Well yeah, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Certain headphones are suited for different things, and have certain characteristics. It's not about showing off the gear. It's to explain my hobby. To most people, most headphones are the same. By showing her that it's not like that, it explains why I'm willing to sink so much money into it.

@TheWuss, she claims to think my "geeking out" is cool. Thanks for the advice.

Tried this with my gf, she still thinks her iBuds is more value than my Alessandro and ppl carrying an amp around are losers....

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noobiiee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tried this with my gf, she still thinks her iBuds is more value than my Alessandro and ppl carrying an amp around are losers....

She's a loser
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #14 of 21
If only I could find a girl that understood my audio geekiness, or just geekiness in general
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back