Listening for power supply issues
Dec 5, 2008 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ph0rk

Headphoneus Supremus
This seems weird, but how do others detect deficiencies in a wall wart power supply for an amp? My M^3 is supplied by the ubiquitous WM080-1950-760, and I am seriously considering having a sigma11 built for it instead.

The thing is, I can't currently [size=xx-small](ha!)[/size] detect anything seriously wrong with it.

I've read many of the DPS vs Elpac threads, and I'm aware that the difference is likely subtle. What I'm looking for is a "killer track" - something that would clearly show that the wallwart is inadequate. I like to see a problem before I throw money at it. [size=xx-small]Not that I won't probably throw money at it either way...[/size]

The M^3 currently gets most use with my 120 ohm (and insensitive) K601's, though I have various other headphones with which to test.

Any suggestions?

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

The thing is, I can't currently (ha!) detect anything seriously wrong with it.

Then why worry about it? As long as you're happy with it is all that matters. As far as finding a "killer track" to test its inadequacies, I don't think you're going to find one. The power supply will have an effect on your amp and headphones overall so I don't think a single song would reveal its deficiencies.

Dec 5, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 4
Only on an audiophile board would someone be asking how to listen for problems. It is a problem when it makes itself heard. Period. Until then, the only problem is too much time on an audiophile board listening to people telling you there is something inadequate about a wall wart power supply.

Tim

Dec 5, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 4
Well, I would say that's called ignorance
wink.gif

If you always drive Honda Civics, how can you know what's "wrong" with them compared to Ferrarri.

Nothing is "wrong", well, not much, the Elpac does have some serious noise hum coming through, just look at the comparison - Sigma11 is similar to YJPS in terms of specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back