Listened to SR225, RS-1, HD650
May 15, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Petyot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 325 I tried were just labelled SR325 (no i). Is that the new or old version ? Do dealer still have the old version in stock ?

If they were gold, they were 325i.

May 15, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #32 of 41
Both Grados and Senns require and do better with more current/power, so stop with the excuses
tongue.gif
the bass is still fat with lots of power on the HD650. Balanced helps but doesn't exactly make it a HD600 (balanced amount of bass).

May 15, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #33 of 41
I thought I'd read somewhere here that certain cans were hard to compare side-by-side because they made each other sound bad. Like eating a green apple whilst drinking red wine. I'd thought I had heard this about Grados and HD650's.

I really may as well be typing this with my butt cheeks for all I know about it but I was just curious about whether certain side-by-side comparisons can cloud the enjoyment of a particular can?

May 15, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by bebanovich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I'd read somewhere here that certain cans were hard to compare side-by-side because they made each other sound bad. Like eating a green apple whilst drinking red wine. I'd thought I had heard this about Grados and HD650's.

I really may as well be typing this with my butt cheeks for all I know about it but I was just curious about whether certain side-by-side comparisons can cloud the enjoyment of a particular can?

This is true and happens all the time. After long listening with RS-2 I find HD650 thick and bassy sounding. After I listen to them for a while it goes away and they sound as good as I know they can sound.

This works other way also. After long listening with HD650, RS-2 sounds thin and like the sound wouldn't have any body. Totally lame sound. After some time with them they start to sound good again.

It's what your ears get used to.

May 15, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #35 of 41
Since you will have the money required soon enough, just do it right the first time and go with:

Mad Ear+ Purist HD with High z and Low z headphone jacks, and black gate cap upgrade. And a pair of new Alessandro Pros, or a pair of used RS-1s - they show up (seemingly) almost daily in the for sale section of Head-Fi. I'd be willing to bet you could very, very easily score a pair of used RS-1s for $550ish shipped.

Also, there was a used MAD Ear+ Purist for sale for like $525 freakin' bucks.

So for around $1100 you could acquire one of the most amazing and synergistic amp/phone combinations of all time.

Done and done.

Then once you are all settled with that rig, and completely head over heels in love with the sound, you can start lusting over a pair of PS-1s later on down the road, but you'll be all set with amplification.

May 15, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #36 of 41
With the whole Senn thing, I agree it is all bout the amp (for the most part). At the Head Fest I tried them out with a Benchmark DAC 1 (my jaw dropped when i heard about the price afterward), everything sounded so organic. But with my Hornet, it was very bassy and almost one-noteish.

May 15, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they were gold, they were 325i.

They were 325i then. I really liked them.

Is the Xenos 1HA-EPC considered a good amp for the SR325? I use it with my SR60 and I like it but since the SR325 ar so different, I don't know if the synergy will be good

May 16, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #38 of 41
I hate to chime in with an "it's not the headphone's fault" comment but Creek amplifiers are notorious for high output impedance which causes horrendously bloated bass esp on high impedance headphones.

Chances are though, HD650s are not for you, but I just thought I'd throw that out there
wink.gif

-jesse

May 16, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #39 of 41
I guess I'm in minority.....I say that because I really love both my Senn 650s and my Grado RS1. It just really depends on my mood, the time of day and what I'm listening to. But both of them are here to stay!

I found the 650s didnt start really sounding good till about 200 + hours and the Grados took almost 150 hours also to really smooth out.

Yea, I do use a tubed amp to drive them, so I've got lot of push to really make them sing.

About a year ago I bought the AKG 701 and was looking for a 2nd set of phones and ordered the 650s with the Equinox cable. Then I had a chance to get the RS1's for a good price. I figured I'd wind up selling the Senns or the Grado. I guessed wrong. I am actually thinking about selling the AKGs once I get my 50 posts and am allowed to list them on the forum.

May 16, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #40 of 41
Well I'm sure with a proper amp if it toned down the bass I could love them on orchestral pieces. I need to experience that though. But for now, since I only have the money to spend on 1 can, I'll go with the MS-Pro
wink.gif

May 16, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #41 of 41
Just thinking about what was said - some like the sound to be all around, not just in front. I know that the HD595s don't grab you at all because I am realising the same, whilst I constantly get the 'wow' from my SA5000s more as i notice the music more. But, the HD650 is so on the other end that commends it too because you say 'wow' not for being grabbed by music, but by being cuddled/caressed/enveloped in the sound.

I'm surprised the hornet didn't drive the HD650s well...I hope my xin supermacro IV is up to the task....if it ever arrives. If not, well I guess I'll have to go balanced as soon as I get a job
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back