Listened to SR225, RS-1, HD650
May 15, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #17 of 41
I dont necessarily mean quantity-wise lacking bass, but punchiness of bass. With electrostats, its just "there". No feeling nor pumping air what-so-ever, which might lead to feeling that they lack bass. I have hard time figuring rock and metal without strong but tight, defined bass punch and grunt.

Again, I have absolutely no experience with electrostats. Some electrostat fan like Duggeh could help you more about bass questions.

May 15, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #18 of 41
Yeah I'd aggree with what you're saying. But still I am mighty curious :p.

The Denon AH-D5000 seem like a mighty fine candidate from what the review say at this point. Apparently they do sound forward, and I would like that in a headphone. I just hope they can match the bass of the Grados. I'm still blown away by the bass of the Grados
rs1smile.gif

May 15, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #19 of 41
Wow, I had no idea RS-1's were jacked up in price that much in foreign countries. I bought mine for $625; Canadian dealers charge nearly $300 more.

I also agree with all of your impressions, coincidentally enough; especially the thought that RS-1's have a relatively large soundstage. Sure, its small compared to most cans, but I can't sense any constricted detail in the music, and the soundstage seems extremely adequate for my needs.

May 15, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I had no idea RS-1's were jacked up in price that much in foreign countries. I bought mine for $625; Canadian dealers charge nearly $300 more.

Convert 1200€ to dollars... thats what they cost in Europe.
plainface.gif

Its relatively cheap in Canada IMO, but thats not the point of this thread.

May 15, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #21 of 41
Ya it seriously sucks. I would definately pick up a RS-1 if I could do so for only $625.

Planet of Sound is really overpriced from what I can tell. Funny thing too the guy just laughed at me when I asked about the Denon AH-D5000 and said they could never outperform the HD650.

May 15, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya it seriously sucks. I would definately pick up a RS-1 if I could do so for only $625.

Planet of Sound is really overpriced from what I can tell. Funny thing too the guy just laughed at me when I asked about the Denon AH-D5000 and said they could never outperform the HD650.

Did he say why?

May 15, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyorange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting impressions. I've heard that the SR225 is 95% of the RS-1 and I've heard that they're worlds apart. I wonder which is true.

I think a lot of that will depend on how much experience you have with either. To my ears, the SR225 (which I loved) is so far out of the RS-1's league, it isn't even funny. Granted, we're talking about the subtleties of things like timbre, instrument seperation, etc. which does not equate to night-and-day differences, but that's where assessing a phone's qualities can get picky.

Let me just say this: Yes, the SR225 comes close to the RS-1 (I'd say about 85%) but those last percentiles are extremely difficult to get right and if a manufacturer can improve those last little details, it does make a world of difference to me. If you could care less, then save those dollars because it just won't be worth it.

Quote:

I guess I'll try to get my hands on an MS-Pro then, or maybe an MS2i for budget. I'm just afraid that the MS2i will sound too much like the SR225. Any word on this?

The MS2i is nothing like the SR225 - to be honest, they are nothing like the SR325i either, in a lot of ways. I picked the SR225 over the 325i when I bought mine because I found the 225 had a warmer, smoother presentation compared to the 325i's screeching highs. When I heard the MS2i for the first time, I was absolutely blown away. Great bass and smoooooooooooooooooth. Even after hearing the RS-1 I would hedge my bets that you will be thrilled by the MS2i.

Don't let me talk you out of the RS-1 though. May not be "it" for you, but within my budget, the RS-1 is my pot-o-gold, so to speak.

May 15, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #24 of 41
Yeah the RS-1 was just incredible to me. But if you say the MS2i are smooth, well that's what I really like about the RS-1 (and great incredibly dynamics and realistic punchy bass). I'd get the MS2i used though, because I wouldn't want to buy them new just to replace them with the MS-Pro.

If I can afford them, I'll go MS-Pro, if not, I'll try to look for the MS2i used, and if not, then MS2i brand new it is.

And about the differences between SR225 and RS-1, yeah they were similar sounding. But the differences that were there made them sound 100% better. I just couldn't live with the SR225 knowing what I'm missing -_-.

May 15, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #25 of 41
I am from Montreal and went to my local Grado dealer today during lunch. I went in with my "portable" rig : ZV:M > Solozs Lod to mini > Xenos 1HA-EPC

I had the chance to tried the 225, the 325 and the SR-1. As you may know there is a huge gap in price between the 325 (around 400$) and the SR-1 (around 1000$) in Canada.

Ok, like everybody (well, almost…), I found the SR-1 to be superior to the 225 and the 325. But honestly, there is no way I can justify the price difference between the SR-1 and the 325. Even when considering used SR-1 and 325, I don’t think I wan to pay that kind of premium to get the SR-1!

This is an excellent news : I can now explain to my wife that we are very lucky because I just saved 600$ by getting in that store!!!
wink.gif

For me, the best sound/price ratio is definitely (for my untrained ears) in favour of the 325.

It was a good move for me to try those can as I was ready to enter the market for a pair of used RS-1. I know now that I will focus my search on a pair of used 325 (or maybe the Alessandro MS2…)

May 15, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #26 of 41
"I guess I'll try to get my hands on an MS-Pro then, or maybe an MS2i for budget. I'm just afraid that the MS2i will sound too much like the SR225. Any word on this?"

The MS2's are better than the 225's in nearly every way.

- augustwest

May 15, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

The HD650 really, really dissapointed me, there's just way too much bass that the headphones sound very artificial.

If it was a Creek headphone amp I'd guess that underpowering was your problem. Those are very basic designs that are much more friendly to the low-z Grados. Still though I won't argue that what you heard from the Senns wasn't mostly accurate, I love that sound I'm just getting the last ten points or so from them.

SR325i is a much better headphone than the 225. Don't mistake the 325 non-i with the i version, the original got a bad reputation. I think they should have called the new 325i the PS-2, most people around here would have a better impression of what they really made.

May 15, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #28 of 41
Yeah I can see why some people could like the Senn sound. I had just expected the Senns to sound more like loudspeakers then the Grados. The Senns sounded a bit more like a high-end car audio system. Lots of bass, and with sound all around you.

I realize it's all personal preference, I don't mean any offense to Senn users, as they're most certainly not bad cans (especially when I can get them at half the price of RS-1 in Canada!). I just like the more forward sound of the Grados.

Ahh this has been quite an interesting day
biggrin.gif
. I love head-fi.

May 15, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR325i is a much better headphone than the 225. Don't mistake the 325 non-i with the i version, the original got a bad reputation. I think they should have called the new 325i the PS-2, most people around here would have a better impression of what they really made.

The 325 I tried were just labelled SR325 (no i). Is that the new or old version ? Do dealer still have the old version in stock ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back