list your setting you use with your Auzentech prelude for headphones.
Feb 16, 2009 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Baird GoW

500+ Head-Fier
I want to see what settings other people are using the prelude (for listening through headphones).
Also list what genres you use those settings with.

An example of what Im talking about would be:
Mode: Audio Creation Mode
Speakers: 5.1 surround (just because your using headphones does not mean that the headphone setting is the only one that sounds good)
SVM: Off
X-Fi CMSS-3D: (Not available in audio creation mode) If yes: if your in 5.1 what upmix mode at what %
Crystalizer: Off (if on give %)
EAX effects: Off
Bitmatched Playback: Off (only available in audio creation mode) (when on disables EQ, X-Fi crystalizer annd SVM, Playback volume will increase to maximum level)

Also I was wandering what settings are best for the most natural sound. Include mode and Speaker setting (That does not mean your using speakers!!).

Thanks,
Baird

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by s4nder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm aware of bit perfect not doing anything for analog output but it's still a handy option to tick because it disables almost all processing of the signal that X-Fi based cards are so happy to do on default settings with one click.

Entertainment mode has a completely different soundstage and less clarity to my ears so it must tamper with the signal somehow. I was assuming that ASIO output would be used and Entertainment mode doesn't fully support that. All unused inputs should be muted.

Rule of thumb with X-Fi based cards for music listening: disable everything.

I agree with you since It what I did on my prelude, I did used the same settings other then 2 channel for my headphones for music. It does improve it.

Other wise I wouldnt be using those settings at all back on the prelude. I still use the same settiong only HF option on my xonar and asio in xmplay for the same reason .

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by s4nder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have and so has pretty much everyone else. It increases the volume and bypasses the windows k-mixer (in case of XP) which degrades sound quality. CPU use is a non-issue for anyone living in 2009. Foobar2000 stays at 0% in my case.

You really have the strongest signal possible going through to your amp thus you really should have Foobar at 100% volume and only control the volume via the amp.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baird GoW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have either of you upgraded the opamps in the prelude?

Me neither. But I have seriously considered it many times. Right now Id rather spend money on music
smily_headphones1.gif

I do hope someone will pick one up and let us know about the differences i SQ.

Settings:
Audio Creation Mode
All the extra "fun stuff" (EAX, SVM, crystalizer ie.) set to: OFF!
Speaker config: Headphones

...cant wait to get a proper DAC though.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 12
I use my Prelude both for gaming and for listening to music.
For the music listening part and gaming late at night:
All fancy effects off, Auzen ASIO drivers are used for sound output (for music listening). Optical output goes to a DAC then to my tube amp and headphones.
For gaming or when friends are at home. Still everything off, ASIO drivers for music or gaming mode for games obviously, analog output goes to 2.1 speakers.

So basically i have nothing to unplug if i want to switch between speakers and headphones. My speakers have a pod with an on/off switch so i can turn em off anytime. I just switch to the correct audio profile with the driver (speakers vs headphones).

May 14, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 12
Just so that I have this correct, when using Foobar2000 with the ASIO drivers I should have my Auzentech X-FI Prelude set to Audio Creation mode with Bit-Matched enabled? I had read that this was a good card for sound quality (in a few different PC mags) and though I'm sure it's not the best sound card I do get very good sound from it running into my preamp.
Thanks!

May 15, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #9 of 12
My settings :

Entertainment Mode
2.0/2.1 Speakers
EAX Effects, CMSS-3D, X-Fi Crystalizer & SVM : Off
Bass & Treble both at 50%
EQ Disabled

Might try experimenting with Audio Creation mode but Entertainment Mode works best for me at the moment (including in Games).

May 15, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Postalisback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My settings :

Entertainment Mode
2.0/2.1 Speakers
EAX Effects, CMSS-3D, X-Fi Crystalizer & SVM : Off
Bass & Treble both at 50%
EQ Disabled

Might try experimenting with Audio Creation mode but Entertainment Mode works best for me at the moment (including in Games).

That's what I was wondering, I had it set to Entertainment Mode with everything turned off and Bass and Treble at 50%. I have played with the Crystalizer while watching movies and it seems to give you a bit more punch at lower sound levels but with music I turn everything off. So does Audio Creation give you better sound with Bit-Matched enabled? I do use Foobar2000 with ASIO4ALL and the buffer set as low as I can get away with.

Is the Prelude still considered one of the better sounding sound cards? I see that Auzentech now has a card (X-Fi Forte 7.1)with a built in headphone amp and full-sized RCA jack outputs.

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #12 of 12
Resurrecting a year old thread here, I know, but...

Does anyone change their default volume level (67% odd percent)? It appears to be a rather low voltage to my external amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back