List your Reference Audiophile CDs
Jan 25, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #16 of 55
If you're a rock drummer, Rock Drummers, try Fear for a Blank Planet (Porcupine Tree), especially the song Anesthetize

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #17 of 55

Quote:
If you're a rock drummer, Rock Drummers, try Fear for a Blank Planet (Porcupine Tree), especially the song Anesthetize

while i agree that Gavin Harrison's drumming is usually superb, Fear of a Blank Planet came across as one-dimensional, and overly-compressed, to me.
to hear his drumming in a closer to reference recording, In Absentia is at least not as brickwalled as FoaBP.
just my opinion, and YMMV. 
darthsmile.gif

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #18 of 55
Yes, too many threads but still there's smth new, always,

Try: Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (XRCD2), Track Nr 6 is special,

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #19 of 55

Quote:
Quote:

while i agree that Gavin Harrison's drumming is usually superb, Fear of a Blank Planet came across as one-dimensional, and overly-compressed, to me.
to hear his drumming in a closer to reference recording, In Absentia is at least not as brickwalled as FoaBP.
just my opinion, and YMMV. 
darthsmile.gif

you are right about that, In Asentia is Wilson's best mix on my opinion, but Anestetize is so fantastic drum playing. Even more on the live dvd/bluray (that one does have excellent sound quality). I've tried to play it myself, but I couldn't do it, not in the way he does

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #22 of 55
Jeff Buckley - Grace (I use Hallelujah especially when testing a new set of 'phones)
Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water (gold disc)
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness (maybe a compressed on the high end, but I still love to hear how it comes out on new cans)
Tord Gustavsen Trio - Being There
And other random classical, rock and jazz albums which catch my eye at the time.

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #23 of 55

Quote:
i guess i need to get that blu-ray, Proglover. 
wink.gif

hell yeah, one of the best concert dvd's/bluray's I have, in sound as well as how good they play

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #24 of 55
Maybe not everyone's cup o' tea re the music genre but, check out the free downloads over at Bravura Records, a Bill Schnee enterprise. These are representative samples of Schnee's past with Sheffield Labs and make for some great demo tracks. (Remember Thelma Houston & Pressure Cooker?) The samples are 24/44.1. You'll have to give up an email address: http://bravurarecords.com/

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #25 of 55
For piano

http://www.amazon.com/Shostakovich-24-Preludes-Fugues-Op/dp/B0022NG9QW/

This is one of the best recorded piano recording by far.
It's not even sacd or blu-ray..............

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #26 of 55
I see many of my favorite reference albums here, but I think that the following qualify.
Eva Cassidy - Live at Blues Alley
Nirvana - Unplugged
Dianna Krall - :Live in Paris

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #28 of 55
I run new phones through this list of albums:

Alice In Chains - Unplugged
Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory
Iced Earth - Horror Show
Mad Season - Above
Mesh - In This Place Forever
Opeth - Damnation
Opeth - Deliverance