List your favourite DVD commentaries
Mar 11, 2009 at 9:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Quaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
i really love DVD commentaries, and whenever i can i always will pick up the version with one as opposed to standard edition, as i will watch the film and then watch the film again, with the commentary/ies on

it can, depending on the film, really add to the film and give some great technical insights into the making and cast, and in some instances can make a mundane film strangely redeem itself somewhat through the commentary

can be any reason, it might be really funny! might be really insightful, technically etc or just a great feeling with the cast/crew bouncing off each other

no need to limit to one, as many as you like and you DONT need to post reasonings, just list them if you want

i will start with;

platoon
fight club
from dusk till dawn
shaun of the dead
godfather films

what other should i be checking out?

normal_smile .gif

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #2 of 18
The only two i've listened to the whole way through (or for more then a few minutes) and enjoyed where for the Bourne Supremacy and Bourne Ultimatum as Paul went through what was going through his mind and what his aims of certain scenes where as a director, and how certain scenes came to be and how they where developed. I have no interest listening to the actors, director(s), etc talk about how one of them is eating a sandwich and what it is made of, or talking in an idiotic and unrelated manner and the list goes on. But that's just me.

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 18
The best DVD commentary I've seen is the one on This is Spinal Tap - they do it in character.

Mar 11, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best DVD commentary I've seen is the one on This is Spinal Tap - they do it in character.

Now that's a silly one I think I could enjoy.
popcorn.gif
beerchug.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #7 of 18
Lord of the Rings- all three films, Extended Versions. Each one has four commentary tracks- one with the writing/directing team, one with visual effects guys, one with (I think) costume/props/stunts? and the last with the cast (Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan (Merry and Pippin)are quite funny). Very neat to hear four very different perspective on what was an absolutely monumental production.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #8 of 18
South Park!

The Fountain (commentary only on official site)
The Apatow movies
Rush Hour 1 or 2 (can't remember which one, it's been a long time)
Fight Club
Cloverfield (maybe, can't remember why the commentary was good, I just recall 'good')

Least favourite DVD commentary:

Resident Evil 1 (barely got past the intro...)

EK

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 18
Agreed on Lord of the Rings extended versions... and... any commentary on any disc of Arrested Development, any season!

Mar 14, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #14 of 18
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Batman - the Movie (Adam West, Burt Ward)
Any movie featuring commentary by John Waters

As a rule, I don't like commentaries because more often than not, the people talking ramble on and on about stuff that has nothing to do with the movie.

Mar 14, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #15 of 18
Man On Fire
Futurama - Bender's Big Score
Doomsday

I also like the extra features on all of the above, if you don't already own Doomsday, I highly suggest the unrated/special edition (you get the theatrical release, and the extended release on the same DL disc, and the extended version is oh-so worth it)

one commentary/etc I can't stand:
anything with George Lucas

I don't know why, I loved Star Wars 1-6, and Indy Jones 1-4, he's a creative genius, but I just can't stand to listen to him (perhaps because I grew up around Star Wars and Indy Jones mania? I'm just "burned out" on george lucas)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back