List your favorite Indie / Lo-Fi here
Sep 29, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #31 of 40
While there are a bunch of very good bands (old and new) that could fit under the lo-fi label, the one that still stands high and helped usher in the term would be Pavement. At least a decade and a half out recognized as every bit as influential as Nirvana and I suspect more so. Funny they're not more discussed around here, though bands citing them as an influence often are.

Gold Soundz | Pavement | Music Video | MTV

Sep 29, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While there are a bunch of very good bands (old and new) that could fit under the lo-fi label, the one that still stands high and helped usher in the term would be Pavement.

I've definitely heard a few of their songs BlessingX. They get pretty good airtime on the Left of Center station on sat radio.

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #33 of 40
I hope this isn't seen as thread crapping, but I'd argue that Indie and all modern music, should just come under the umbrella of contemporary rock.

I really like most of the stuff mentioned and I'll be keeping an eye out for suggested music I am not familiar with.

Stuff that hasn't been mentioned that I really like include Low.- these guys are brilliant Classified as Slowcore (yeah I know- its hard not to pigeonhole) Hot Chip Hard to classify. The Coral, Yo Lo Tengo I am surprised these 2 incredible groups haven't been mentioned yet. Junior Boys- Canadian electronica

Quote:

The Clientele - This band carries a 60s Brit Pop sound. The sound is distinctively vintage sounding, not in quality but the distinctive melodies. This is a dream-like sounding pop with lots of air around the notes and melancholy vocals. Both God Save the Clientele and Strange Geometry have a very similar sound, I like them both pretty equally.

I hated this band when i first heard them, after I had just bought their first 2 albums. I persisted in listening to them, and early one morning on a lonely train journey I realised that I actually really liked them. This was quite a revelation to me. Kingsbury Manx have a languid style as well. I am still trying to get to like Magnetic Fields. Psapp have a gentle feel about them too.

The Shins, Sparklehorse and Grandaddy would have have to be amongst my all time favorites.

Oct 1, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #35 of 40
Hell you could grab half this list:

Top 100 Albums of the 1990s | Pitchfork

And notice who is in the top ten twice?
wink.gif

Oct 1, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #36 of 40
I'm partial to Sufjan Stevens and Devendra Banhart.

Ryan

Oct 6, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #39 of 40
Most are already said here but

Bon Iver
The Shins - Oh, Inverted World is there best IMO
The Coral
Pavement
Kimya Dawson
Bright Eyes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back