List of Low/ Mid-Priced Analog Source Owners on Head-Fi
Mar 12, 2009 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

derekbmn

Headphoneus Supremus
So I have been thinking of ways to make my 1500th post... uhhh...useful, so in the spirit of the List of High End Analog Source Owners on Head-Fi thread, I thought it would be fun to start another.

All items on this list are analog source components only (turntables, tape, radio, et al) and carry a retail price of $1K maximum (or did when in production), without any accessories (arms, cartridges, etc). All items that are NOT turntables will be noted otherwise.

I will consider any and all for this list ...nothing is to cheap for this one! And I encourage discussion on anything analog related. (turntable modification,vintage equipment restoration, etc,etc)

To be added to this list, just leave a post mentioning your source.
popcorn.gif

Acoustic Research AR-XA (2) - joelongwood, nycbone
Acoustic Research AR-XB - nycbone
Acoustic Research ES-1 - derekbmn
Acoustic Research "The Turntable" - derekbmn(x2)
Akai AP-103C - -=Germania=-
Akai GX4000D (tape reel) - peter.star
Ampex 800SS (tape reel) - tom hankins
Ariston RD80 - NightOwl
Aiwa R30 (tuner) - nutric08
B&O 4004 - Lazarus Short
Denon DP40-F - scott d_m
Dual 505-2 - peter.star
Dual 1209 - joelongwood
Dual 1219 - joelongwood , wareagle69
Dual 1228 - joelongwood
Empire 598 II - joelongwood
Goldring Lenco GL75 - Stoin
Harman Kardon T45C joelongwood
Kenwood KD-44R - kanamin
Kenwood KT-8300 (tuner) - Lazarus Short
Lenco L75 - peter.star
Linn Axis - NightOwl
Linn Basik - catcher
Logic DM101 - NightOwl
Music Hall MMF-2.1 - sxr71
Music Hall MMF-5(2) - powerslave, zippy2001
Nakamichi BX 300 (tape) - NightOwl
Onkyo CP1200A - tom hankins
Pioneer CT-4040 (tape) - Stoin
Pioneer F551 (tuner) - NightOwl
Pioneer PL-50 - keithpgdrb
Pioneer PL-460 - Cold Brains
Pro-ject Debut III(4) - Ingo, Stoin, sunseeker888, tru blue
Pro-ject RM5SE - ehoove
Pro-ject RPM1 - peter.star
Pro-ject Xperience X- Pack - alan g
Pro-ject Xpression MkII - rederanged
Pro-ject Xpression MKIII(2) - J.D.N, Meliboeus ,Stevtt
Rega P1(3) - darkdork, jilgiljongiljing, Mogul
Rega P3(2) - DBrim, Sherwood
Rega P3-24(2) - julius the cat, Marco2
Rega P3-2000 - spahn ranch
Rega Planar 3(2) -jfourc, WilCox
Revolver - Prickely Peete
Sony TC-670K (tape) - soundboy
Sony WM-D6C Pro (port tape) - Quaddy
TEAC V530X (tape) - Prickely Peete
Technics SL-BD20B - soundboy
Technics SL-D20 - derekbmn
Technics SL-J33 - obobskivich
Technics Sl-5 - peter.star
Technics SL23 - tom hankins
Technics SL-1200 - tom hankins
Technics SL-1200MKII(5) - LostChild1, oeyhamre, rederanged, tapehiss, texashorn91
Technics SL-1210 M5G - nkoulban
Technics SL-1700 MkI - jpelg
Thorens TD-125 MKII - joelongwood
Thorens TD-165 - derekbmn
Thorens TD-320 - rodentdog
Tivoli Model One (radio) - soundboy

Mar 12, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 70
Yup, I'll contribute to this one.
smily_headphones1.gif

As a college student, I'm doing my best to start out in my quest for audiophile dominance :p If there is ever such a thing. I haven't the money for multiple pairs of headphones, or TTs, or anything of the sort, but I'm proud of where I am at the moment.
smily_headphones1.gif

I bought a second-hand Technics SL-1200MKII from a local record shop (It was the owners personal player for a time, so I trust the quality
biggrin.gif
) right now it's got a generic Shure Cart on it, but I'm hoping to upgrade to the Shure Mx97E in a little bit, not the best cart, but a definite improvement from what I've got.

It's hooked up to a TC-750LC (Line Control) pre-amp which then plugs into my family's Marantz SR3001 7.1 receiver (In a 5.1 setup, we don't have space for 7.1 :p)

I guess to put it simply, my only actual analog source equipment is my turntable (Got rid of all my tapes a long time ago)
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 70
once I get some initial "newbie" stuff sorted out, I'll put up a list. I do have a considerable turntable collection, (sorry no DJ type stuff), and a few cd players (home types).

Just getting into this. Have Sony MDR-7V , Senn MX160, and a couple of other non-descripts. Anyone know how to import music from my iMac to the Sansa clip? I tried, but it didn't copy over the files.

The Shure Mx97E is a good budget cartridge. Too bad Shure has stopped their V15 Series

thanks

griffin

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 70
How about these....

Technics SL-BD20B belt-drive turntable....purchased new from Sears for $100.00
Tivoli Model One table radio ....purchased new from Target for $70.00
Sony TC-670K 3-head 3-motor cassette deck....my most expensive source at $300.00 back in the early 90s

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #7 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunseeker888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My signature pretty much sums it up.

How do you like the Debut III?

I'm looking at that deck for my headphone rig.

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #8 of 70
Pro-ject Xpression MKIII

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #9 of 70
New that is. There are several tuners that Onkyo made back in the day for under a grand that were very good. In new turntables, I would recommend a Rega P 3-24. On the used table front, there were so many good ones ranging from the old AR series throgh the less expensive Linns. Some of the Japanese tables under $1k were very good, but the latter gadget heavy ones less so. That being because the gadgets raised the price but not so much the sound quality. Many open reel tape decks sold for under $1k new, and make excellent recording sources, and in many cases the prerecorded reel to reel tapes were highly regarded as well. So check out the old Sony, Technics, Revox, and Panasonic R to R decks.

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #10 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pro-ject Xpression MKIII

Same here
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #11 of 70
The Debut III is by no means a bad table, but sure the bearing could be a bit quieter. I feel that the arm is better than the table. And I still need to upgrade my cart....

Do phono preamps count? They should since they're needed for use with the TT.

Mar 13, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #12 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunseeker888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Debut III is by no means a bad table, but sure the bearing could be a bit quieter. I feel that the arm is better than the table. And I still need to upgrade my cart....

Do phono preamps count? They should since they're needed for use with the TT.

Well, from what I understand, they're not entirely "necessary". I know some old Amps/Receivers have Phono In lines, which would eliminate the need for a Preamp...

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #15 of 70
My vintage stuff.

Logic DM101 turntable with outboard power supply purchased used in 1984 for $550.00. Replaced a Linn Sondek which had replaced an Ariston RD11.

Ariston RD80 turntable with Linn Nirvana springs, base cover removed and replaced with 3 tiptoes, purchased new in 1985? for $350.00 (in storage). Had been loaned to my brother until he returned it 8 years ago.

Linn Axis turntable purchased new in 1989 for $350.00. No power supply issues to date. Bought to replace a Rega Planar 3 which went to my first wife (along with some other nice components) in the settlement.

Have also owned and sold a Dual 505, Oracle Alexandria, Kenwood KD500, Heybrook TT2 and Thorens TD160.

Nakamichi BX 300 tape deck purchased used in 1990 for $50.00. needed a new belt. Could probably use a new idler tire. Played maybe once or twice a year now.

Pioneer F551 tuner. Could use an alignment, but it has CCTS which adjusts itself to the signal. I get really terrible FM reception in my condo anyway and no antennas are allowed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back