List of IEMs with balanced sound
Apr 27, 2012 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

-sandro-

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm trying to find a kind of IEM that has:
- wide soundstage
- neutral (or almost neutral) and balanced
- maybe a little emphasis on bass to make the sound warm and not dull (so not completely analytical)
- sound not distant nor completely laid back
- clear, airy, open and transparent
- NOT thick sound (I guess it destroys the feeling of transparency)

I tried 
Brainwavz M1, maybe on the best in terms of sound signature. I would like something like this with more quality and details
Soundmagic E30- GREAT in terms of balanced sound, music "as is". A little too laid back, soundstage is just OK.
Brainwavz M4 - hated with 90% of the songs with its heavy V shaped sound makes me think I have an hearing problem. Vocals are too way too recessed. Details are good though.
Xears XE200pro - they sound fine but they carry that mid-bass energy that covers highs, even if it doesn't lack detailsl they're a little difficult to listen. they don't sound transparent.

So what are the IEMs that can deliver a sound signature and intimacy of the M1 with a neutrality of the E30 but details in highs of the M4?
Budget is $50 and below.

Thank you!

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 29
Sounds like GR 06 to me..

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 29
HI guys thanks

I would like to answer everyone.
First of all why am I asking too much for that price? I mean I had the M1 that does what I want at a low price why is it too much to ask more for a higher price? (I paid the M1 $28 by the way).
I mean I'm really asking because I'm not very keen on how prices work compared to a sound signature I prefer, does it cost a lot to make a balanced sound than others? I see a lot of earphones on that price range rated with high quality usually bass centric or V shaped (example is the Xears XE200)

Quote:
Sounds like GR 06 to me..

Seems like a good contender , can it be called balanced? A fun sound?
"The midrange of the GR06 is smooth, warm, and forward. The mids sound clean and have decent detail but are limited by the same slightly soft note presentation as the bass."
this scares a little bit
Does mid centric mean the highs are not sparkly and recessed ?

Quote:

Another good one (a151).
It is also a touch less crisp, producing smoother, thicker, slightly less transparent notes.
Isn't this the opposite of what I like?

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #9 of 29

Quote:

Another good one (a151).
It is also a touch less crisp, producing smoother, thicker, slightly less transparent notes.
Isn't this the opposite of what I like?

It's thick for a BA. You said you wanted a touch of warmth in the sound. This some warmth.

Apr 27, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #10 of 29
You wanted something like the M1 but better, with "more quality and details". Therefore it is going to be more expensive.The Brainwavz series is already a value leader in the industry. You may find other IEMs below $100 that will sound slightly better than the M1, but the differences will be negligible. 

The sound signature that you described, "intimacy," "neutrality", "details in highs", etc etc cannot exist in one IEM. You are describing contradicting things. If it's going to be clear and airy, with wide soundstage, it's going to lose some intimacy. If you want "emphasis on bass" but also "details in highs", you are going to deal with distant vocals/mids.  If you want intimacy and bass, you are going to lose clarity and airiness. There is the Westone W4, that doesn't excel in anything, but also doesn't lack in anything. Mediocrity (balance) is its best asset and strength. The W4 costs $400+. 

Everybody wants to have his cake and eat it too.  Audiophiles spend thousands of dollars looking for the Holy Grail of sound. You spend $1000+ on just one pair of IEM, and even that pair can hardly do all of those things you are asking for. So definitely not for under $50. 

I hope this clears any existing confusions and inspires new ones. 
Quote:
Brainwavz M1, maybe on the best in terms of sound signature. I would like something like this with more quality and details

So what are the IEMs that can deliver a sound signature and intimacy of the M1 with a neutrality of the E30 but details in highs of the M4?

Quote:
First of all why am I asking too much for that price? I mean I had the M1 that does what I want at a low price why is it too much to ask more for a higher price? (I paid the M1 $28 by the way).

Apr 28, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #12 of 29
You need to spend $300 plus for that but it can be had.  Grado GR10 would be perfect to fit that description.

There is no gimic with IEM's when it comes to sound quality and cost.  You get what you pay for.  The TF10 might be the lone exception of a $400 IEM that can sometimes be found for $150 (because the fit is horrendous).

Back in 2007-2008 when the universal triple drivers came out it changed personal listening standards dramatically and the $300-$400 price tags are well worth it. (W3, W4, UM3X, SE535, etc)

Apr 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #14 of 29

Quote:

False. The EX600 and GR07 can deliver that for below $200

I think the GR07 has some good similarity to the M1 sound signature and very reasonably fits his description also. Would like to hear the EX600 but don't doubt it delivers at a very reasonable ~$125.

under 50 bucks... I don't know. Just agreeing with eke2k6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back