List of High-End Digital Source Owners on Head-Fi
Jun 14, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #122 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its funny how when you go above 2-3k+ for source, there doesn't seem to be a FoTM. Its a pretty big random list of many high end sources all spread out with different owners. Either that or when you start getting into the high end source their sound begins to differ so theres like a brand sound for everyone
tongue.gif

Well, there are many Esoteric (including the APL NWO 3.0) and EMM Labs owners on the list. I honestly expected more people to own dCS gear... I guess their 'entry level' is way above $10k and there is a lot of choice in that range.

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #123 of 281
I wish I could join the list any time soon. Heck, I'll be waiting this one for a long time!
frown.gif
Perhaps I should try some lottery...

Jun 14, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #124 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, there are many Esoteric (including the APL NWO 3.0) and EMM Labs owners on the list. I honestly expected more people to own dCS gear... I guess their 'entry level' is way above $10k and there is a lot of choice in that range.

Their pro line starts at around $5k SRP... Elgar was just a repackaged 954 because they had strong demand from japanese audiophiles (or at least I seem to remember reading something to that effect).

Jun 14, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #125 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Shanling with all the mods was 6500

Its good to know there is someone out there whos sickness runs deeper than mine.
wink.gif

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #126 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, well the price point won't be going any lower. As I said before, $2K is generous if we're using the term "high-end", pretty much the only reason I did that is because I'm aware of quite a few sources between $2K-$3.5K like the Electrocompaniet ECD-1 (owned by krmathis) and the Arcam FMJ CD36 (owned by HiWire) that don't really deserve to be cut off from a list like this. If that has to include sources I don't think are high-end like the SD Transporter then so be it.
wink.gif
(But at least the SD Transporter uses a pretty good DAC, the AKM AK4396.)

The many sources punching in right at $1K or just above (Benchmark DAC1, Lavry DA10, PS Audio Digital Link III, Apogee Mini-DAC, CA Azur 840C, NAD M5, et al) are not high-end, those are either studio-grade or just products that think they are, so there!
tongue.gif

Based on this definition the Lavry Gold, being a "studio-grade" DAC, would not qualify as a "high-end" source, interesting even if it cost 8500$.

Jun 15, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #127 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its good to know there is someone out there whos sickness runs deeper than mine.
wink.gif

I'm afraid to think what Wayne has done to his three
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #128 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on this definition the Lavry Gold, being a "studio-grade" DAC, would not qualify as a "high-end" source, interesting even if it cost 8500$.

You mis-interpreted my post - for any source to make the list it has to cost at least $2K. And IMO anything less than $2K isn't high-end (which is why I referred to the DAC1, DA10, DLIII). So the Lavry DA2002 does count as high-end in my book.

Jun 15, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #129 of 281
Made the list with the Audio Logic, but don't know how it happened haha ( I am guessing some kind of search of profiles)?
confused.gif

But actually I am using an Accustic Arts DAC1 Mk4 right now that is much much better than the AL. It actually lives up to the hype Audiogon has on it.

Jun 15, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #130 of 281
I havent been around here in a few months. But thought I would add another to the Esoteric list.
Got the P-03/D-03.
Does my clock count as part of the system? Got the G-ORb as well.
Grand total: $44k

Jun 16, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #132 of 281
Sony XA777ES Kern Mods /Chord DAC64 ($9K)

Jun 16, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #133 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And IMO anything less than $2K isn't high-end.

Though I agree with the rest of your post in principal and for the sake of this list, this line reads like: "High end equipment has nothing to do with the quality of sound and is only relating to its high price tag."

This I don't agree with.

I also don't agree with the idea that everything that costs more than $2k is automatically better than everything costing less than $2k. I'm fairly certain that if I compared all of the sources in that list to my own, there would be a number of them that I would not prefer. Personal preference factors in here as well as the fact that not everything that costs a lot of money is necissarily any good.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: And for the third scenario, that cost is the only measure of high end audio equipment, I think you'd find that any non-audiophile would find it absolutely insane to spend more than $500 on a CD player.
wink.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #135 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though I agree with the rest of your post in principal and for the sake of this list, this line reads like: "High end equipment has nothing to do with the quality of sound and is only relating to its high price tag."

This I don't agree with.

I also don't agree with the idea that everything that costs more than $2k is automatically better than everything costing less than $2k. I'm fairly certain that if I compared all of the sources in that list to my own, there would be a number of them that I would not prefer. Personal preference factors in here as well as the fact that not everything that costs a lot of money is necissarily any good.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: And for the third scenario, that cost is the only measure of high end audio equipment, I think you'd find that any non-audiophile would find it absolutely insane to spend more than $500 on a CD player.
wink.gif

Totally agree with ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back