List of High-End Digital Source Owners on Head-Fi
Oct 1, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #258 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Open-tray w/ Deadwing - Porcupine Tree
09302008114.jpg

Congrats! One of my favorite PT albums!

Oct 1, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #259 of 281
There is an Audio Research Reference CD7 for sale here and on Audiogon. I have one and can't recommend it highly enough.

Oct 3, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #260 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would include analog.

I chose not to spend a huge amount on a digital source. This is because chips and processors seem to make a quantum leap every 2-3 years. Manufacturers seem to come out with a new flagship about that often, as well. In my opinion, it's not worth buying current top players. To stay on top, you have to replace them every few years and take a large hit on resale.

That's why I picked up the SA8001 (still Stereophile Class A) which retails about $1,000 and went with the Orbe/SME IV/Yph on analog, which retails around $12,000. I'll still be using the Orbe in five years, but I'll go through two or three more $1,000-level CD players in that time. To me, it makes more sense to put money into the components where technology changes slower.

CDPs are ultimately doomed and there are presently less than a handful of transport mfrs. Little question that the future of digital is in the software. Perhaps this thread should include the optimal platforms for same, e.g., Mac G5DP and successors, which certainly make the $ cut even prior to software costs. I just can't imagine what the CDP manufacturers will be able to realistically offer to savvy audiophiles in five years. "We have a smarter case than your G5" "Our box weighs more than your computer" "Our transport needs more vibration isolation that your hard drive" The digital footprint will approach zero. Analog will reign supreme in hardware. This thread will be an anachronism.

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #261 of 281
Did not see my Accuphase DP 75v so far. It used to retail for DM 22,000 (ca. EUR 11,000) 6 years ago.

I also have a Creek Destiny CDP which seems to retail currently for somewhere around $2,500 in USA. I am seriously thinking of selling it though... Since it has lived most of its short life in the box.

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #262 of 281
You can add me as an owner of a Modwright/Denon 3910, with full Universal-truth modifications, including the tube-rectified power supply for about a year or so.

Oct 13, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #263 of 281
I don't know how to add to this list, so my apologies if my just replying to the thread is not the correct approach. I have the following CD player:

Naim CD555/555PS

The only serious negative aspect to its performance is that it has a slightly artificial "edge" to the initial attack of a note that is common to most tranistor gear. It is not as "analogue" sounding as the top-line Audionote DACs, but, then again, it is not in the same price category.

Oct 13, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #264 of 281
Colour me green with envy. I have heard your redbook spinner a handful of times and it never fails to amaze.

Oct 14, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #265 of 281
Fully loaded Denon Exemplar 3910 with:

Siltech internal wiring, upgraded female RCAs, new clock, lots of high end capacitors, etc.
Can use any of the following tubes for the output stage:
• 5965 , 6829, 7062, E180CC, or CV8431 (direct plug ins)
• Includes Siltech wiring upgrade
• The power supply rectifiers are upgraded
• Several critical caps are replaced with Blackgates
• The AC power input is hardwired§ with upgraded wire, replacing the 3 mechanical connections in the stock unit
• 5 new independent high performance shunt regulators are added to the unit
• The stock clock is replaced with a TENT ENGINEERING re-clocking circuit powered by one of the new shunt regs
• A new active loaded, shunt regulated tube stage is added along with a new set of high performance stereo outputs
• ALSO includes the critical "post-DAC mods" (Post-digital-to-analog converter)

This unit will be replacing my Audio Research CD-7

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #268 of 281
Am I allowed to join this list after I unpacked my Sony DAS-R1 this afternoon? It was one half of Sony's $8000 flagship CDP/DAC combo.

...20 years ago

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #269 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I allowed to join this list after I unpacked my Sony DAS-R1 this afternoon? It was one half of Sony's $8000 flagship CDP/DAC combo.

...20 years ago

Wow...congrats buddy! I have been wanting the R1a combo myself.

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #270 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...20 years ago

Wow congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back