nuForce HDP
Beresford TC-7520SEG Caiman
Matrix Mini-i
Emotiva XDA-1
Maverick [tube]
Various Audio-GD products
ZeroDAC [junk?]

-------------------------

I know there's more, I just can't remember.

Probably some B&M big-box receivers, too, like Oknyo, Denon, HK, et al.

FWIW: I'm looking for a DAC/Preamp
- $1k budget, less is better, as always
- 32bit volume control or analog prefered
- No tubes
- Coax digital in up to 192/24
- RCA out
- Prefer knob for volume over remote/buttons
- Built-in headamp a plus

Would have liked the Anedio, but now what? Leaning Burson, I guess. W4S is ugly as ****, lol.

Aug 1, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #2 of 17
The Fidelix Caprice looks sweet, but not for over $2k, lol.

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
Do any US sellers carry the Matrix Mini-I?

http://www.pacificvalve.us/DACS.html

Did some more digging:

- The Quattro appears to use an analog ALPS pot. I assume the Mini-i is the same. So, preamp duties are questionable.
- EE Dac 001 is switchable SS/Tube

Still leaning to Burson....

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 17
~$1k w/shipping:
Onkyo DAC-1000 [PCM1795, SRC, so I assume 32-bit volume control?]
Fostex HP-A7 [AKM AK4392]

Still searching...

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
[size=10pt]Do you want a good DAC?[/size]
[size=10pt]Buy this one and never look back. It have the best amp / preamp  in  DAC you can find. Took two years to get it  to production. Do more digging on it, you wont be disappointed.  [/size]

http://www.vintageking.com/Mytek-Digital-Stereo192-DSD-DAC-Silver-Preamp-Version?sc=49&category=-149 

Thanks for the suggestion.

Pretty expensive for a stepped analog attenuator =/

Would love to find a unit ~$1k or less that uses the same method of digital volume control as the Anedio... but with a builtin head-amp that is Q70x friendly :)

Aug 5, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 17
Consider the PreSonus Central Station. They're about $500 and had a bit of popularity here a few years ago. I owned one while I was running computer-as-source. Loved it. But I fell away into vinyl/SACD and sold it because I wasn't using it.

It got good reviews here, too. Run a few searches.

It has two digital inputs, one Toslink and one SPDIF. I think there's an analog input or two, as well, and the DAC is 24/192.

A couple things make it special:

1. Two separate, independent headphone amps with separate volume knobs. Nice, clean sound and plenty of power. Even the K-1000 was halfway decent on it. Very convenient if you want to A/B two pairs of headphones or listen with someone else.

2. The preamp has a relay-based attenuator. Very, very nice option, especially at this price. Relays are terrific - better than a pot or even some stepped attenuators.

Read the reviews and give it some thought. There's a bias against pro gear around here, but a lot of it offers excellent value. The same thing in audiophile garb would probably be over $2k.

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #10 of 17
Sweer lord. Thank you good sir. As soon as I'm back from China I'll ebay one of those puppies. They go used for ~$300 + shipping it looks like.

Looks perfect.

- SPDIF in up to 192/24 (not that 192 matters, but I just happen to have some music in that format).
- TWO headphone amps that will drive what I need
- Good volume control passive preamp section for speaker outs

I was about to pull-the-trigger on a Burson, but you just saved me a significant amount of cheddar.

If I ran a MF V-LPS to the analog-in's, then I could run a phono->CS preamp>amp>speakers?

Aug 7, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 17
Why don't you check out Audiolab 8200CDQ?  It's a CD player, a DAC, and digital/analog preamp altogether.  It should cost 1300 in USD.  There are a number of professional reviews on it.  What hi fi had its review on non preamp version, 8200CD and praised very highly of it's DAC and CD player.  Also, you will find a number of articles that mention its digital preamp is perhaps better than any preamps in 1000-2000 USD range.  I'm seriously considering either this one or Oppo BDP-95.  They seemed to have some what similar sound characteristic being both use Sabre 32 bit DAC's.  BDP-95 doesn't really have the preamp, but it has digital volume control, which isn't as perfect as the digital preamp of the 8200CDQ, but workable.  By the way, for some who may wonder what is a digital preamp, for the most basic explanation, the volume is controlled within DAC itself (for both Audiolab and Oppo), so it has very very little loss or distortion.  Some of the most expensive DACs incorporate digital volume control that many people are simply by-passing their preamp's costing 2000k to 10,000k and connect directly to their power amp.   

Aug 7, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #12 of 17
By the way, I'm actually also considering a new AV receiver, Onkyo NR-809, which cost around 800, for my DAC/preamp need.  I don't listen to headphones much lately.  My beloved KEFQ900 speakers are great, but of course not as detailed as the best headphones.  So, for my need, something like Onkyo 809 will provide un-noticeable difference as to it's DAC/preamp quality compared to other higher priced stand-alone DAC/preamp.  It has.. forgot the name or spec #, but very good dac's for each of the channels.  Also, it doubles as a speaker amp too.  However, if you have something like Senn HD800, then I'm sure the stand-alone DAC's will provide noticeable differences.  Just my 2 cents.

Aug 7, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #13 of 17
moonsurf, thanks for your input.

I tried to ebay a PreSonus CS but ebay/Paypal wouldn't let me pay. I called Paypal and they said it's been a known glitch for about a month now, and to ask the seller for an invoice... But by then the BIN had gone away because someone bid 
mad.gif
 I also couldn't Paypal an M-Stage, either, because of the same stupid "glitch". Arg.

But moonsurf, any idea where I might find the Audiolab 8200CDQ in the U.S.? I'm only finding UK distributors right now, and Amazon.uk would not ship to a U.S. address. The 8200CDQ looks beautiful!

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #15 of 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back