List of Best & worst dog foods from WDJ (Whole Dog Journal)
Mar 12, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT
This is a list complied by the Whole Dog Journal. It then comes down too which food off of the good list works well for your particular dog

Best Dry Dog Food:

Artemis
Azmira
Back to Basics
Bench & Field
Blue Buffalo
Burns
By Nature Brightlife
California Nautral
Canidae
Canine Caviar
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul
Could Star Kibble
Drs. Foster Smith
Eagle Holistic Select
Evolve Natural
Flint River
Foundations
Fromm 4 Star Nutritionals
Go! Natural
Hund-n-Flocken (Solid Gold)
Innova
Lifespan
Limitied Diets (IVD)
Merrick
MMillennia (Solid Gold)
Natural Balance
Natural Choice Ultra
Newman's Own
Organix
Phd Viand
Pinnacle
Praire (Nature's Variety)
Premium Edge
Prime Life
Royal Canin Natural Blend
Showbound Naturals
Timberwolf Organics
Verus
Wellness
Wellness Simple Food Solutions
Wysong

Worst Dry Dog Foods:

Beneful
Cycle Adult
Dad's Bite Sized Meal
Diamond Premium Adult Formula
Excel Lamb Meal & Rice
Gravy Train
Happy Tails
HiPro Dog Food
Iams Lamb Meal & Rice
Kibbles & Bits Homestyle Chicken & Vegetable
Max Adult (Nutro)
Maxximum Nutrition
Natural Choice Adult Lamb & Rice (Nutro)
Nature's Recipie "Breed Specific"
Nutra Nuggets Adult Maintenance
Ol' Roy
Pedigree
Purina Dog Chow
Purina One Total Nutrition
Science Diet Adult
Science Diet "Nature's Best With Real Beef..."

Best Canned Dog Foods:

Active Life
Advanced Pet Diets
Artemis
Avo-derm
Azmira
Boulder Creek Farms
California Nautral
Canidae
Drs. Foster Smith
Eagle Holistic Select
Evolve Natural
Evanger's For Dogs
Innova
Lamaderm
Merrick
Natural Balance
Natural Life
Neura Meats
Newman's Own
Nutro Natural Choice Ultra
Petguard Organic
Pinnacle
Prairie (Nature's Variety)
Precise Plus
Sensible Choice
Solid Gold
Spot's Stew
Triumph
Verus
Wellness
Wysong

Worst Canned Dog Foods:

Iams
Eukanuba
Ol' Roy
Pedigree
Science Diet

For the record, My sheltie eats Merrick wilderness blend. She's a picky eater, she has tried Purina one, Canidae and Innova. So far Merrick wilderness blend is the only one she choose. I tried to switch her to other flavour or other brand though so she doesn't get bored with her food and it's better for her health (Imagine eating the same food over and over again)

RYCeT,
Thank you for the information. It is similar to information recently given to me by a respected dog trainer in my area. Could you provide a link to the source of this information. I have gotten very interested in this subject lately after getting a new puppy. I also recently read an article about animal testing done by Proctor and Gamble in the making of Iams and/or Eukanuba that concerned me greatly...thanks

Mar 12, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #17 of 36
Have you ever read the ingredients on most (canned) dog food.

"Water suitable for processing"

What is up with that? Apparently standard tap water is too good for dog food?
eek.gif

-Ed

Mar 12, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #18 of 36
I have 2 dogs...black labs.
To me there is no such thing as "DOG FOOD".
Dog food is a bunch of crap.
My dogs eat what I eat , chicken , beef , fish , rice , vegetables ect....and pizza and tacos and ice cream too! (no chocolate)
My wife thinks Im crazy giving dogs "People food" BAH! BULL POOP!
Try eating some dog food....it sucks (I have tried several brands myself) although milk bones aint bad tasting.

By the way my oldest dog is 14 and acts like a puppy.

Mar 13, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #21 of 36
Hi DLeeWebb, the list was made by Whole Dog Journal. It's a consumer report type of magazine for dog lovers. They are independent and do not carry advertisement. They are 100% subscriber supported. I do subscribe to WDJ, but if you do some googling you can get the list easily. As I've said in my previous post, boxerworld.com and dogster.com forums are good places to research, especially in their feeding/food & nutrition forum. Longer life for the dog you love by Michelle Welton is also a good book to read for new owner.

Max-9, if you can find Merrick Can Food around in your area, you might want to give it a try, it's almost as good as people's food.
21669.jpg

tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT

Max-9, if you can find Merrick Can Food around in your area, you might want to give it a try, it's almost as good as people's food.
21669.jpg

tongue.gif

I will try it ! and if I like it I will see if the girls (my dogs) will eat it.
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
My dog eats better than I do. Science Diet Rules.

Science Diet is crap but many people, like yourself, are constantly swayed by their marketing.

Just because you see a food being offered by your veternarian doesn't mean it's good for your animal. They tend to offer the foods that are going to generate them return business if you catch my drift.

Jan 12, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Science Diet is crap but many people, like yourself, are constantly swayed by their marketing.

Just because you see a food being offered by your veternarian doesn't mean it's good for your animal. They tend to offer the foods that are going to generate them return business if you catch my drift.

yeah, i've heard about how bad science diet can be. seems they are the bose of the pet food world.

off topic - does anyone know a good alternative to science diet's teeth formula for cats?

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #27 of 36
If you compiled a list of things we're supposed to eat...I bet NOBODY would 100% fall onto that list, lol.

Dogs are scavengers...thier digestive tract is alot beefier than people make it out to be....

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #28 of 36
I'm glad to see Pumpkin's food on the "Good" list-

WellChick15.jpg

She used to eat Purina One, but she got way too fat with not nutritional crap. We put her on Wellness, it curbed the cravings with less food, and she slimmed down to her ideal weight, and she's healthier too!

oh and i looked at that link above -

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...p/cat/4/page/8

we used to have her on that weight management stuff for Wellness, glad to see it was a 4-star food!

you know, based on that site, i might switch to barking at the moon solid gold, because it got a 6-star rating and is available at petco, which delivers locally-

http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Prod...Ns=P_Price%7c1

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #30 of 36
Our pug eats homemade “food” that we prepare bi-monthly. It’s essentially the same stuff you would find in the high-end and high quality gourmet dog food, but the ingredients are fresh, human grade without any chemicals. In fact, it’s less expensive than buying dog food, though, sometimes a pain having to prepare.

I do believe our dog looks younger, healthier and overall more playful than other pugs his same age. It’s might be the food or his genes or combination.

Here’s our ingredients:
Pearled barley
Rice either white or brown
Beef and pork in equal portions or chicken
Green peas
Carrots
String beans
Lima beans
Corn
Garlic (extremely small amount)

We add a multivitamin and essential oils (fatty acid) daily.

To OP and others using or considering Merrick dog food for their pet:

Please research Merrick. I’ve read disheartening things about their dog food on the internet. I’ve paraphrased the following statements:
Metal, plastic and other foreign objects found in their canned food. Merrick dog food has made some dogs seriously sick or worse death.

http://www.rateitall.com/i-63120-merrick.aspx

I assume if you look you can find other links and more info on Merrick. Sorry to have to tell you this, but I think it's better to know and make an educated decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back