List of Best & worst dog foods from WDJ (Whole Dog Journal)
Jan 12, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They also mentioned (in 2003) that rotating between 3 or 4 top quality foods is better than sticking with just one food for all of your dog's life.

When you introduce a new brand of dog food, be sure to introduce it gradually (1/4 mixed with old, then 1/2, etc.) Otherwise, many dogs suffer from "gastric distress" and you get to clean it up.
eek.gif

It was my understanding that consistency is critical in dog food and that "premium" dog food was more likely to offer a constant composition, even with fluctuating costs of the components. But as with human food, there appears to be a lot more opinion and advice than clear evidence.
confused.gif

"Onward through the fog."

Jan 12, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #32 of 36
Hi Jeff, this is their opinion about changing food http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/changing_foods.htm

Jahn, it's good wellness work for your dog. We've tried Wellness sweet fish & potato. My dogs like it. Careful when you tried to change your dog food, as Jeff has mentioned, it's better to change them gradually. Try to get a small bag first since Barking at the moon is a rich content food and not all dog can handle it. Barking at the moon and timberwolf organics are on our next rotation. 30 pounds bag usually last for 3 months for both our dogs (Sheltie & mixed maltese/shih-tzu) My sheltie is a bit sensitive to changing food so we always do it slowly. Cleaning after a diarhea dog is not pleasant at all
blink.gif

Yeah, Merrick was reported to get a quality problem mid june last year, however it seems they have clear it up. I've got no problem with several merrick dog food that I have so Merrick will stay in our rotation food.

We got our sheltie almost 2 years ago from a breeder. She was fed with purina one. We changed it to canidae and innova. She's picky and we learn she's not to fond of chicken based food. She like Merrick Wilderness blend the most (Bison, Venison & Salmon based umm yummy) When we just got her, everytime I comb her coat once a week, I always got one medium plastic bag of loose fur. Right now, every time I comb her, her loose fur is much less than before unless it was time for her to blow her coat.

Not all organic food are expensive. Costco brand Kirkland fares well (3 star according to dogfoodanalysis.com) and not expensive.

Btw for you guys on northeast, www.petfooddirect.com got a 20% off coupon 'geico'. It's good to cover most shipping charge.

Jan 13, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Max-9, if you can find Merrick Can Food around in your area, you might want to give it a try, it's almost as good as people's food.
21669.jpg

tongue.gif

"..people's food..."? Reminds me of a certain scene from The Road Warrior".

Laz

Jan 13, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #34 of 36
My dogs hunt for their food. They always come back with blood all over their muzzles and kinda smelling funny. I let them nap for a while, then I clean them up, grill them up some beef, fish, or chicken (boneless stuff, of course), and mix it up with a little bit of brown rice.

Jan 13, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #35 of 36
I tried a few cases of Merrick dog food after reading this thread months ago. Some flavours looked great but I started getting entire cases that had congealed into a lump of gelatinous gunk that grossed me out. To their credit, Merrick sent me coupons for replacement cases, but they too had turned. Their explanation was that this happens during transportation in hot weather. Whatever the reason, the food changed from looking like human food to the most grotesque pile of sludge you could imagine. I tried the brand endorsed/owned by Tim Van Patten for a while but the dogs eventually started turning their noses up at it and vomiting a lot. For the past month I've been giving them "Natural Choice" Chicken, Rice, and Oatmeal, that's supposed to be good for sensitive stomachs ... so far so good.

Jan 13, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #36 of 36
I gave my pug Merrick's canned and dry Cowboy cookout because we ran out of his homemade grub. Both looked and smelled like cheap, regular dog food to me.

And the one can I opened
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
had congealed into a lump of gelatinous gunk that grossed me out.

same here.

I Googled “Merrick dog food reviews” and they apparently have a history of poor quality control, changed their name, and supposedly have a class action lawsuit against them because it's alleged some animals got sick or died.

I wouldn't risk it not matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back