List of balanced DAC's?
Sep 30, 2007 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

OverlordXenu

Headphoneus Supremus
That mega list thread only lists three, there has to be more, right?

Basically, I am looking for a good DAC that accepts coaxial, but optical would be ok, and outputs "fully balanced" audio.

Thanks.

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #2 of 22
apogee minidac
cec da53
aqvox usb
cambridge azur 840c (comes built into transport
smily_headphones1.gif

resolution audio opus 21 (again, comes with transport)

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 22
How much is a Twisted Pear Opus DAC built, usually? Those other DAC's are all well over $1k, which I don't want to spend, but, meh.

Can any DAC be made "fully balanced," or are balanced DAC's designed a different way?

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 22
CIAudio VDA2 has REAL balanced output using two sets of RCA plugs in 0 and 180 phase method. There is a used one available at Audiogon now
wink.gif
It's not mine...just informing you.

Sep 30, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #8 of 22
Zapfiltered Zhaolu
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #10 of 22
Well, so far, I think I might find someone to assemble me an Opus DAC with two of some kind of selector, so it can do balanced and single-ended output, and S/PDIF and USB input. It seems like the most attractive option for me...

Oct 1, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, so far, I think I might find someone to assemble me an Opus DAC with two of some kind of selector, so it can do balanced and single-ended output, and S/PDIF and USB input. It seems like the most attractive option for me...

About how much do you think the Opus is going to run you? It certainly seems like a very attractive balanced DAC.

Oct 1, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About how much do you think the Opus is going to run you? It certainly seems like a very attractive balanced DAC.

I have no idea, I have yet to find a "builder" to put it together.

Oct 1, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #15 of 22
Parts cost would run around the $400 mark for a basic (not dual mono) configuration with SPDIF and USB input, DAC-driven output (no Zapfilter/Ballsie) basic enclosure and no bells and whistles. Add on from there for builder's time, shipping and any audiophilia you desire.

I expect that you're looking in the $600-1000 range for a built-up DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back