List of Balanced Amplifiers
Feb 1, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #31 of 49
I am surprised not many DIYers have tackled portable balanced amps.
AYT and Doobooloo are the only members I have seen do this.

I have a quick question about this.

Is it possible to create a balanced signal by using "Two micro dacs" and an optical y splitter? run one optical cable into each micro dac, and then plugging the dac line out into a portable balanced amp?

why hasnt anyone ever tried this? Is there some kind of deficiency in the portable amps?

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #33 of 49
Don't forget the Gilmore Balanced Reference Preamp from HeadAmp. I think it's worth a separate mention although it isn't on their site...

Feb 1, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Don't forget the Gilmore Balanced Reference Preamp from HeadAmp. I think it's worth a separate mention although it isn't on their site...

This is why I'm glad that I don't have a speaker setup, otherwise, I would have been tempted for it when I bought my Reference.
Greg - have you received yours yet? Personally, I'm eagerly waiting for the arrival of my KGSS-DX.

Feb 2, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
This is why I'm glad that I don't have a speaker setup, otherwise, I would have been tempted for it when I bought my Reference.
Greg - have you received yours yet? Personally, I'm eagerly waiting for the arrival of my KGSS-DX.

Naw, I think it's probably going to be ready after the Aristaeus ships but it's going to someone else for a while before I get it. I haven't heard of a KGSS-DX, do tell more?
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

Naw, I think it's probably going to be ready after the Aristaeus ships but it's going to someone else for a while before I get it. I haven't heard of a KGSS-DX, do tell more?
biggrin.gif

As Justin calls it, it's the ultimate KGSS. It has just about all the upgrades he can put on KGSS and comes in a chassis that is smaller (though taller) than standard KGSS. This one has two Stax jacks and one HE90 jack (no, I'm never getting HE90's. LOL). I sort of lucked into it. I should be receiving it on Friday or Saturday. It should be fun breaking in those huge Black Gate caps.
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

As Justin calls it, it's the ultimate KGSS. It has just about all the upgrades he can put on KGSS and comes in a chassis that is smaller (though taller) than standard KGSS. This one has two Stax jacks and one HE90 jack (no, I'm never getting HE90's. LOL). I sort of lucked into it. I should be receiving it on Friday or Saturday. It should be fun breaking in those huge Black Gate caps.
biggrin.gif

Cool, the case must be the new one he's using for the GS-X and my amp. The footprint of the case didn't take up nearly the space the old KGSS case did. I had my choice of the two and that's the one I went with even though it was pricier. Well, when you get tired of it, let me know, I have the HE-90's already!
very_evil_smiley.gif
All kidding around aside, I have a feeling that is similar to bozebutton's KGSS for sound quality which is excellent. I can't remember for sure if boze's has the Black Gates, but knowing him, there's no way it doesn't!
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

(no, I'm never getting HE90's. LOL)

We will see how long that statement remains true.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Cool, the case must be the new one he's using for the GS-X and my amp. The footprint of the case didn't take up nearly the space the old KGSS case did.

The case is actually very similar to standard KGSS in looks, so it's not the new GS-X case. It's just narrower, taller, and shorter (less deep) black KGSS case - with gold lettering.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I have a feeling that is similar to bozebutton's KGSS for sound quality which is excellent. I can't remember for sure if boze's has the Black Gates, but knowing him, there's no way it doesn't!
biggrin.gif

It does, and dannyandelyse actually has that amp now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
We will see how long that statement remains true.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Fine, fine, I'll consider them when I get a better paying job in the next year or so. Besides, I'm waiting for the rumored Omega III's.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

Fine, fine, I'll consider them when I get a better paying job in the next year or so. Besides, I'm waiting for the rumored Omega III's.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I knew it! You weren't trying to convince us you were trying to convince yourself.
tongue.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
I knew it! You weren't trying to convince us you were trying to convince yourself.
tongue.gif

But I really am looking forward to see if the rumors of Omega III's are true more than anything, considering how much I love the Omega II's.

Okay, I'm now done taking this thread completely off-topic.

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:04 AM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
Balanced M^3 supposedly not much improvement over a SE M^3.

I think I'd elaborate on that a bit. One of the benefits of going balanced is that it prevents the high current ground return from the headphones from polluting the input signal ground. Since the M³ in unbalanced form employs a three-channel active-ground topology, it is already immune from this phenonmenon. Thus, to this end a balanced M³ isn't going to offer the same improvement over an unbalanced M³ like you would with a conventional passive-ground amp.

However, going balanced also gives you double the output voltage swing and four times the output power. For those who have low efficiency or super-high impedance headphones (such as the AKG K1000) or those who just want gobs of reserve power, there is still an impetus for a balanced M³. WIth a capable power supply and sufficient heatsinking of its output MOSFETs, a balanced M³ can output 20Wrms of power into 8Ω per channel, and that's enough power to rock a house with efficient speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back