List of Balanced Amplifiers
Dec 30, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam

PFKMan the sds-xlr does start at around $7k mark.

ok ok already.. Except it seems to be that most people opt for models that cost around 10k of course configured, but given that we're talking about a range...

Just another correction to the above. 3.5k represents the baseline cost of the Supra XLR. You can easily have one that configured costs around 5-6k.

Dec 31, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #17 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
...the Grace 901 only has blanced inputs, no outputs.

Oh I beg to differ
tongue.gif

Front.jpg

Actually any matched pair of amps will do. It just takes cables, and a balanced source.

gerG

Dec 31, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
Oh I beg to differ
tongue.gif

Ah ... the voice of reason from the Arizona desert. And, as always, "you are correct, sir."

<edit> We just knew there was a reason Michael Grace made those beauties just 1/2 rack wide.
very_evil_smiley.gif
</edit>

Dec 31, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
Now I don't know when your SDS was built, but I've seen figures from 8k-15k for an SDS XLR. Just looking at the state of the market, I'm guessing no lower than about 10k, for it's current price. Now I know that PATB just ordered one a short while ago, so perhaps he could lend his thoughts. And yes, he can build any mobel balanced. I've discussed with Mikhail about getting a balanced MPX3, but he tells me that he'd need a different chasis for it.

I am thinking about a balanced mpx3 as I have a upgraded mpx3 now that I like a lot. I have not talked to Mikhail about it yet but one way of doing it would be to have two standard mpx3 cases. One for the audio, and one for the power supply. That should give just enough room for the guts.

:also, a standard Maestro ZR case might be enough room for a balanced mpx3.

Jan 31, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #21 of 49
A stock MPX3 XLR w. stock tubes (Electro Harmonix 6SN7) is ~ $2000 and just might fit inside a regular MPX3 chassis.

The balanced MPX3 SLAM (5687/6BL7) that I'm getting has a scaled-down SDS-XLR power supply, so it would have to fit in either two separate boxes (one for audio and one for power) or a Supra chassis. However, this configuration is about midway between the MPX3 XLR and Supra XLR in price
eek.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #22 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkless
A stock MPX3 XLR w. stock tubes (Electro Harmonix 6SN7) is ~ $2000 and just might fit inside a regular MPX3 chassis.

The balanced MPX3 SLAM (5687/6BL7) that I'm getting has a scaled-down SDS-XLR power supply, so it would have to fit in either two separate boxes (one for audio and one for power) or a Supra chassis. However, this configuration is about midway between the MPX3 XLR and Supra XLR in price
eek.gif

Cant wait to hear your thoughts on the amp when you get it!

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #24 of 49
I have a balanced cmoy.
evil_smiley.gif
the XLR sockets take up a lot more space than the amp circuits.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Pics! LOL.

haha... guess you haven't browsed around the photo storage in a while.

here's a theoretical setup (fully portable too). MD player as the source, a convertor to get the signal balanced (uses two CineMag audio transformers), and the amp on the bottom.

inside

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #27 of 49
Thanks for the links. You're correct, I hadn't gotten around to going through the photo section of late. I should get back to doing that as I usually found some neat pics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
...a convertor to get the signal balanced (uses two CineMag audio transformers)

Thanks for reminding me about another solution to my (soon to be) problem. I have been trying to figure out how to use the balanced outs from my DV-50 with both my Balanced Reference and (soon to be here) KGSS-DX. I was either going to get a switchbox or XLR-splitter cable made, but had forgotten about transformer based converter that I could use with the unbalanced outs on the DV-50.

Back on topic - looking through this thread amazes me in that there are so many more choices in balanced amps now-a-days. I really like my upgraded Reference, though, so no upgrade for me anytime soon.
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #28 of 49
back to our other topic
wink.gif
- the balanced outs on my DP-85 are better than the RCA outs through that convertor... I've split my XLR output quite a bit (using a splitter at the source and also a loop out or two at times) and I don't notice any performance drop.

Jan 31, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #29 of 49
Quote:

back to our other topic
wink.gif
- the balanced outs on my DP-85 are better than the RCA outs through that convertor... I've split my XLR output quite a bit (using a splitter at the source and also a loop out or two at times) and I don't notice any performance drop.

Thanks for that info. I think I'm going to go with XLR-splitter cables and hope that it works fine with the DV-50. It's a bonus that it's likely the cheapest solution as well.

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

haha... guess you haven't browsed around the photo storage in a while.

here's a theoretical setup (fully portable too). MD player as the source, a convertor to get the signal balanced (uses two CineMag audio transformers), and the amp on the bottom.

inside

Im literally speechless. Rarely have I come across a DIY amp that just made my jaw drop. That has got to be one of the top 3 coolest DIY amps I have ever seen. Very nice work!

May I ask how did you get a balanced signal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back