Lisa vs. iQube - my thoughts
Mar 6, 2008 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

FreeBlues

100+ Head-Fier
I’ve had the Lisa and iQube since mid December and I've now had some time to compare them (the Lisa was out on loan and the iQube will be going out soon. Oicdn reviewed my Lisa and will soon do a review on the iQube. You can read his report http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/upd...e-soon-237038/). Both are fully burned in and I’ve spent considerable time with each. I am hard pressed to say which one is better. That in and of itself should tell you a lot about the iQube!

First, I'm using a 5.5g iMod, portable vcap (sometimes), ALO Au/Ag cables and UE11's. I listen to blues/blues rock, classic rock, pop, acoustic guitar, some country and bluegrass. While all my files are lossless (ripped with EAC) the original recordings on lots of this music is average at best. I listen almost entirely at the gym where I spend between 2 and 3 hours every day.

Comparing the iQube to the Lisa is interesting. Neither is clearly better overall, but each has its strong points. Bass on the Lisa (without boost) is at times almost too strong, there seems to be a very slight bump in the mid bass. It is strong and detailed but sometimes, just sometimes, I wish I could cut it just a tad. The iQube bass is very quick, tight and amazingly detailed. It has all the slam and impact you could ever want. Opposite the Lisa, there are times, few but still times when I wish the iQube had a bass boost. This gets to be a song specific thing. Recordings with heavy bass sound better on the iQube, light bass recordings are better on the Lisa.

The midrange on both is beyond superb, best I've ever heard. (In the past I've owned a PRII, Pico, Move, SR71, Hornet and Tomahawk.) Detail, soundstage, bloom are all there. The iQube might be a bit more neutral and transparent while the Lisa might be a bit warmer. This is a personal preference and again is recording specific. For me and my music I might slightly prefer the Lisa. If I were a listener of classical music I think I would slightly prefer the iQube.

The treble on the Lisa is the best in the world, period. Everything in this range is rendered exactly right, just enough chime, perfect decay, nothing harsh or fatiguing, just natural, real life sounds. I never expected the iQube to match the Lisa here. I was wrong. The iQube is not better in the treble but it is as good. Well, let me think, in some ways it’s better and worse at the same time. Bad recordings, recordings with shrill treble and/or sibilance are much more obvious on the iQube. The Lisa seems to make bad recordings more listenable. I guess the iQube is more accurate and the Lisa more “musical,” if that makes sense.

Overall that last sentence may capture my feelings about these two amps. The musician in me likes to listen to each individual instrument and hear micro details, while the main use of my music is to get lost in the sounds. The iQube is maybe better for the former and the Lisa better for the latter. This might overstate my feelings, these are very minor differences, each amp is just exceptional and I’m glad I don’t have to pick between the two, at least based on SQ.

Some other things about both these amps that really sets them apart from others: balance, soundstage and power. The proportion of bass to mids to treble is perfect, exactly the way I imagine the bands sounded when the music was recorded (or that I’ve heard when listening to these bands live.) Bass isn’t forward or recessed, same with all the other frequencies. On recordings with great imaging and soundstage both these amps capture it fully. Particularly depth, these amps really render it well. Finally, especially with the Lisa is the sense of ease with which music is presented. The sense that the amp is barely breaking a sweat, that there are unlimited amounts of power in reserve, the control is just so relaxing! There is no strain, no effort at all. The Lisa does this better than the iQube but both do it with true magic.

Practically, the iQube is a far better choice for portable use. It’s smaller, built like a tank, gets 100 hours on a battery charge and is perhaps more user friendly (mini jack input and output). The Lisa is big, gets 5 hours on a charge, uses RCA and quarter inch plugs. The volume control on the Lisa with UE11s is hyper-sensitive. The slightest twitch on the volume control is noticeable. I actually prefer this micro control, others probably won’t. Cost and availability for the two should now be about the same.

Let me add some additional words about the other amps I’ve owned. These comments will be from memory since I don’t currently have them in house. My PRII has been out for repairs for the last 6 weeks so I haven’t had it on hand for a direct comparison. My memory is that this amp was very close to the Lisa. It had maybe a bit less bass. The treble was maybe even better than the Lisa. Hard to say without having the two to compare. My dim recollection of the PRII is that it might actually be the “best” amp for my system and my music, but it has proven to be a bit too fragile for my use. I take good care of my stuff but I do use things daily and portably. Carrying all this stuff with the attendant cables will be harder on equipment than using it around the house or office. Still, I just love the sound of this amp.

My next favorite was the SR71. For rock and music with energy and drive this was a great choice. The PRII replaced this amp, it was just better overall for me, but I could be very happy with the SR71.

I have to say that I sent the Pico back after giving it a good solid 3+ week trial (and 300 hour burn in). I ONLY used the amp section. It was okay, but the mids were waaayyy too forward for me, making the bass particularly recessed. I didn’t like it at all, which was too bad. I loved the size and build quality. Comparing it to the Lisa and iQube, which I did head to head, showed it to be a couple notches lower in terms of SQ. Not bad, just did not stand up to the very best.

My reactions to the Hornet and Tomahawk were very positive at the time. It’s been many months since I owned these amps. They were the best when they first came out but the latest offerings have eclipsed them, at least on my system. Great products, fairly priced, excellent value. In the money-no-object search for the best they aren’t in the same league.

Okay, bottom line. I hate it when I read a review and the reviewer says something like “these are all great products and you can’t go wrong… “ So, if I were absolutely forced to pick one amp and one amp only, I guess I would pick the Lisa, at least today. It has a certain “magic” about it that is hard to describe. Maybe it’s the power and control I mentioned above, maybe the “musical” vs. “analytical” nature of the beast, I’m not really sure. It is maybe more relaxing and easier to get totally lost in the music. It may well just be the hype and power of suggestion on these boards that keep reinforcing the “Lisa is the best” mindset! Whatever, the Lisa will probably get used slightly more than the iQube, but the mix will likely be in the 60/40 range rather than 90/10.

“Really, these are both great products and you can’t go wrong!”

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 18
Wow, that was a fabulous read...

Thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough and insightful comparison, FB!
smily_headphones1.gif

Could you possibly manage to post a few side-by-side pictures of the LISA and the iQube? I'd love to get a better sense of the LISA's physical footprint, now that I've become recently acquainted with the iQube.

Cheers, Dex

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 18
I got the same impressions you did from a much more brief (~45-60 minutes) listen comparing the PICO, iQube, and LISA III. I would consider trading the LISA to the iQube if it had a little more power to drive the HD650, but after I get a proper desktop setup, I may end up trading up anyway for something smaller on trips or bedside. The iQube is a barely over half as long and less then 3/4ths as wide as the LISA from memory, but a picture would be a great assett.

BTW, Moon Audio down the road has just been announced as a dealer for the iQube in North America. They may be also offering a sale come soon (likely to be ~$470 plus shipping for the iQube on my guess). The LISA III plus shipping and charger = ~$565 in stock now from Triad Audio.

Mar 6, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 18
That was a great review Charlie. Thanks.

I have a PRII mkII and LOVE it. As you pointed out, the treble, oh the treble ! So clean, airy and realistic ! The bass boost is beautifully implemented as well. Did I mention the treble ? However I wanted something a bit more portable and more importantly with better battery life. I ordered the iQube a couple of days ago from Hans and it should be arriving in a week or so. Really looking forward to it.

For me, the size of the Lisa and the battery life are deal breakers. I wanted something that sounds good at home and is practical enough on the go. Lisa would I'm sure meet the former but not the latter. The PRII is about the max size I want to deal with in a portable. Battery life isn't great (~8 hrs or so on rechargeables). Any bigger and I might as well have gotten a dedicated home amp.

Next week I should have the iQube and a voyager (loaner) to compare with my PRII.

Mar 6, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 18
Beautiful read. I really enjoyed it from the start to the end. My iQube is on the way.

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #11 of 18
Great read, awesome!

But actually... I just have my Lisa III XP for two days...
frankly I have a difficulty defining which sides of this amp 'improving' or 'better' over my previous amps...

I own Xin SMIII v6 which is clearly superior than iBasso D1 amp before, but Headsix slightly better than Xin until I change opamps on it, while Heed Canamp shown me the power of desktop amp but nothing really surprise me, then OMZ headamp replace Canamp with better clarity, soundstage but recessed in high volume listening...

Lisa III has the same problem too, a bit crackled or harsh when listening in high volume, it's occur to my both headphones (K701 & D2000), PPL told me there is something wrong with your headphones... but I don't think the cans is the problem.
Canamp & Xin easily crank the volume very high without any noticeable distortions, but Lisa & OMZ does... does this means both amps (lisa & omz) is too detailed and able to reveal recording flaws?

So to conclude my statement, is there really any differences... I means very noticeable between both amps? from what I write above, I really hard finding a differences when happen listening on top liners amps... they just sound the same?

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great read, awesome!

But actually... I just have my Lisa III XP for two days...
frankly I have a difficulty defining which sides of this amp 'improving' or 'better' over my previous amps...

I own Xin SMIII v6 which is clearly superior than iBasso D1 amp before, but Headsix slightly better than Xin until I change opamps on it, while Heed Canamp shown me the power of desktop amp but nothing really surprise me, then OMZ headamp replace Canamp with better clarity, soundstage but recessed in high volume listening...

Lisa III has the same problem too, a bit crackled or harsh when listening in high volume, it's occur to my both headphones (K701 & D2000), PPL told me there is something wrong with your headphones... but I don't think the cans is the problem.
Canamp & Xin easily crank the volume very high without any noticeable distortions, but Lisa & OMZ does... does this means both amps (lisa & omz) is too detailed and able to reveal recording flaws?

So to conclude my statement, is there really any differences... I means very noticeable between both amps? from what I write above, I really hard finding a differences when happen listening on top liners amps... they just sound the same?

Just a note regarding the context in which th Quoted statement of the K-701 audibly distorting on Loud Listening Levels with LISA III driving them.

(Q) "I'm using recabled AKG K701 headphone, and today I paired it with Lisa III, my previous amp was OMZ headamp and I return it regarding to design limitation issue, and the problem was K701 sound distorted, and bass breaking up when I listen in high volume."

But today, I found Lisa III was also produced the same distortions, and forced me to turn the volume down, also turn back the Bass knob to 0 (zero)... does this issue ever occur to you? is it because this headphone need higher gain?

(A) "since you mentioned this distortion happening on another amp I might sugest you check out your headphones as a properly operating LISA III & K-701’s will play quite loud without distortion."

(Sound Advice)From the above I would suspect you are driving the Amp into Clipping and this would be a concern with regard to possible Hearing Damage by to Loud of Volume. Please consider the Loudness levels you listen at carefully and keep those Ears sharp for decades to come.

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 18
With respects, PPL

For most of the time I listening music in high volume but with sensible manner, I don't listen to electronicas, hiphop or any music with huge bass, that's really tormented my ears... but for most occasions I need to listen musics in high volume because I need to cover ambients noise surround me (PC fans noises, car noises).

The last time I PMed you, I was reporting on distortions that occur from fresh LISA III XP that just out from box, Un-charged...
I don't have LLP with me, and I just got the AC adapter today.
So after I PMed you, and got your responses... immediately I do an intensive test to my headphones (Denon D2000 & AKG K701), with couple amps (Xin SMIII v6, Lisa III XP, & Penguinamp Caffeine Ultra), please note Denon D2000 (25ohm) is easily driven with any amp, so this cans should be more sensitive than K701, but it detect a crackling noise/distortions on lower volume bar of Lisa III but similar volume level with K701... but with other amps, no problem at all...

Then I contact couple of my friends who own Lisa III amp as well... they mentioned that if Lisa III battery is dying (need to be charged) the sound will be recessed, distorted...
After that I bought a 24V DC regulated AC adapter (1A), and charged the Lisa III XP... and charge it for 12 hours... we will see if the fully charged Lisa III will make a different
smily_headphones1.gif

btw, thanks for your advices, I appreciate it.
I only listening in loud volumes when listening Classical or Jazz.

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #15 of 18
Nice review, FreeBlues! Well done. I think you are spot on
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back