Lisa III vs. Tomahawk or ???
Jan 3, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a TH and just received a LISA. I listened to both using ES2's and UE11's out of an iMod and p-vcap.

To me the TH really lacks bass, really. The LISA is as good as it gets, both for bass and everything else.

I've also been using an iQube for a few weeks and think it is very good, much better than the TH. It's not quite as good as the LISA, but it is much more portable. Finally, my Pico should arrive any day now, so I'll have one more amp to compare.

Do you get any hiss when using the IEM's with the Lisa?

Jan 3, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you get any hiss when using the IEM's with the Lisa?

I just got a PRII which hisses very slightly with UE10s. It's noticeable but not annoying when the volume dial is all the way off and is lost as soon as the dial is tweaked enough to hear music.

I realize others have said the PRII (and Lisa) are not IEM friendly, but mine works great with an iMod and a standard iMod dock. I've got a pair of 6.8uf V-caps on the way and will be putting those into the mix in a week or two.

The PRII is definitely better than the T'hawk for my application, although YMMV. The bass boost is really nice and provides a lot more bass that the T'hawk, I specifically wanted it for the UE10s which are dead transparent, but for some music I want more bass and definitely did not want to drop $1150 for UE11s since I already have the 10s. I'd suggest trying out the Lisa, or picking up a PRII which are a bit more portable.

Jan 3, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #18 of 46
Depends on how you define "hiss" but the Lisa does have a noisy background with both my ES2's and UE-11's. It sounds like air or a light and consistent wind. It was not audible with the D5000's or GS1000 and really not all that noticeable with the IEM's unless listening to classical or music with sections that would allow the noise floor to show through.

With the ES2's I felt the background noise was worth what I was hearing from the amp but to each his own.

Jan 4, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #19 of 46
why is the comparison between a lisa III and a tomahawk to begin with- it could at least be for lisa III and the sr-71.. i mean, even the hornet would be a better adversary than the tomahawk

not to mention the flat out price difference of a lisa III closer to 500 and a tomahawk closer to 300... of course there isn't going to be a real match up there

i'd say at least make it between the lisa III and the sr-71 (around 400)

both are all around fantastic amps, truly, however, the lisa III would win out over an sr-71, fairly certain

personally, i'm going with an sr-71 because of portability and battery life (portability).. it has a big advantage over the lisa III in battery life.. the size doesn't matter so much for me because i'm using it for a transportable rig in a backpack to begin with.

if lisa III had better battery life, i would probably go with that

as it is, sr-71 is my ultimate choice for portable reliability in a headphone amp

Jan 4, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #20 of 46
Mr 3:16 go LISA 3! I know the Lisa inside and out as well as the Tomahawk. Go EXP with regular gain (5). The LISA is a chubby girl compared to the Tomahawk but the sound will make you forget the size. Also with the awesome bass contour on the LISA is something not to forget about.

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #21 of 46
I received the LISA today both versions, and all I can say is that WOW!!! That is a an awesome amp, it will beat many amps two times that price and size....Thanks Phil for another nice amp!!!

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #22 of 46
So what do you do with two versions? oh send me one? :^)

Does the amp need 24 volts or does it run off of 18 volts? I am wondering about using a Tekkeon like I use that can put out 18 volts of good battery power and I love it with my Monica II dac and other battery operated items though I don't normally carry it around with me as it is too big.

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

So what do you do with two versions? oh send me one? :^)

Does the amp need 24 volts or does it run off of 18 volts? I am wondering about using a Tekkeon like I use that can put out 18 volts of good battery power and I love it with my Monica II dac and other battery operated items though I don't normally carry it around with me as it is too big.

I received both as samples, courtesy of Phil and another friend, the XP now is not working not sure where the problem is, maybe need to be charged, I will give Phil a buzz later on...the Standard version is now powering my Editions like a bull!!!! As I said, not heard the XP yet, but if this is the standard edition, IMO it is the portable amp to have hands down...of course price is high, but it is worth...

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #24 of 46
What home amp might you compare it to? Isn't the bias on the XP and the standard the same now? I thought they were both the same amp with the XP just getting the large battery pack. Any images?

Jan 4, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

What home amp might you compare it to? Isn't the bias on the XP and the standard the same now? I thought they were both the same amp with the XP just getting the large battery pack. Any images?

The case of the XP is a litle higher, same lengh and width...according to what I was told, both have same bias but the SD edition is Hi gain the Xp is low gain, but it is not working for now...So let's see...

Comparable to my PPA for example, not in the same league of my RPX33 for example, as the soundstage is wider and more involving, and the separation of instruments is better in my all discrete RPX....about the rest of the commercial amps, if you want ot know about a particular one I have heard, if you PM me I could tell you, but I can not post in public, as it could be taken the wrong way by others...

Also gimme some time to get used to them...man!!!!

Jan 4, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #26 of 46
I'm thinking Lisa III xp with Darth Beyers. And I'll use either my PK2's w/podfitkit, or Marshmellows, or Atrio m5's for going portable.

I had no intentions of using an amp during portability.

Jan 4, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UM2's have limitations and I would say definition in the top end is one of them. They do not sparkle or extend as nicely as the Shure E4C but the trade off for the bass and mids is worth it IMO.
As for amps it sounds like you need to settle on some headphones you like first and build around them... synergy, synergy, synergy!

Couldn't have said it better.

I found that UM2's synergize well with an iMod or Nano with an XP, Move or Hornet as the amp. You get the extension, especially in the bass dept. It's also the only way to get any IMPACT as the UM2's sound too warm and don't have much impact. You lose a little of the upper extension with UM2's with a Move, but you gain a little more bass. But snare drums sound better on a hornet...the XP is the middle ground where it loses impact, but gains the upper extension. I think it's a good compromise cause it doesn't get fatiguing like some other IEMs do...

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #28 of 46
OMG!!! there was a cable lose inside the amp, one from the DC, soldered it and bingo, the amp, well I was expecting a little improvement over the hi-gain SD version, sorry but I could not be more wrong, the gain is lower and the soundstage is a lot better, less congested like a really killer amp, the LISAIII XP is a killer amp guys!!! Just pay attention to the gain you need, otherwise you will screw the sound...

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #29 of 46
So the lower gain, which is how much gain?, is better than the high gain. Interesting that there is that much difference in sound quality. Can't either the XP or the regular unit that runs off of two 9 volt batteries be set to low gain? Could it be the difference in the battery supply, even though they are both at 18 volts, the internal resistance of the batteries would be different. Are you running these from the batteries for an external supply? Seems pretty exciting.

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

So the lower gain, which is how much gain?, is better than the high gain. Interesting that there is that much difference in sound quality. Can't either the XP or the regular unit that runs off of two 9 volt batteries be set to low gain? Could it be the difference in the battery supply, even though they are both at 18 volts, the internal resistance of the batteries would be different. Are you running these from the batteries for an external supply? Seems pretty exciting.

Well that depends on the heapdhones to be used, for high sensitive low gai nwill be the way to go, for low sensitive like the Senns the higain will be the way, with the HD650, the low gain need to be crancked, with the high gain is just perfect, right now both ar charging for tomorrows audition...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back