Liquid Platinum Tube Rollers.
Aug 5, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #1,771 of 1,803
Aug 5, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #1,772 of 1,803
I had read, much of the tread and I have learn about tubes but not quite enough to make a decision. I want to buy a new set of tubes for my LP, What would be the best bang for buck tubes new or used. I'm treble sensitive but I Don't want to sacrifice Soundstage or instrument separation.

In the 6922/6Dj8/E88CC family my go to for a smoother sound is the Japanese Matsushita tube. The 7dj8 Matsushita is a step up, but hard to find.

Smoother treble, but still super detailed, very wide sounding. There's a certain space and depth to the sound that's unlike any other in the 6922 family.

I wouldn't sweat the decision too much. The LP's character doesn't have any crazy tone swings with tube rolling unlike the Liquid Glass or Liquid Crimson.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #1,773 of 1,803
I've been using JAN GE 5670W tubes in my Liquid Platinum. I like their sound and love their price. Very high on the bang for the buck scale along with good sound quality. I consider the sound to be generally similar to the Gold Lion new production 6922 tubes. The only negative aspect with the 5670W in the Liquid Platinum is that there is an audible hum through the headphones as the tubes warm up. Takes about 10 minutes or a bit more for the hum to go away when using Audeze headphones.

The 5670W does require an adapter. TubeDepot sells the tube with an adapter for $25 per tube. You can also find the tubes from other sellers and eBay for less.

iFi Audio uses the 5670W tubes in their hybrid amps. And several years ago they were selling the 5670W with a custom adapter as a 6922 substitute for other amps. They wrote up a PDF white paper to promote the 5670W as a 6922 substitute. The white paper is heavy on promotion. Link to the PDF here: iFi white paper on the GE 5670W tube

If you're looking for bang for the buck and are willing to use a tube that requires an adapter then the GE 5670W is worth a try.

Anyone know why the GE 5670W causes a hum through the Liquid Platinum as the tubes warm up? Is it something specific about Liquid Platinum circuit? The iFi socket adapter had a capacitor on the heater pin to filter out power noise or something. Would an adapter that has a little capacitor like that help get the GE 5670W to be quiet during warmup?

Aug 5, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #1,774 of 1,803
In the 6922/6Dj8/E88CC family my go to for a smoother sound is the Japanese Matsushita tube. The 7dj8 Matsushita is a step up, but hard to find.

Smoother treble, but still super detailed, very wide sounding. There's a certain space and depth to the sound that's unlike any other in the 6922 family.

I wouldn't sweat the decision too much. The LP's character doesn't have any crazy tone swings with tube rolling unlike the Liquid Glass or Liquid Crimson.
Not ‘crazy tone swings’ but clearly noticeable. Especially if one goes from 6922-type tubes to 12AU7-type tubes (with adapters). [PS, the 20 mu of the 12AU7 versus the 32 mu of the 6922 leaves more ‘headroom’: more of the volume knob rotation is useable.]

Aug 5, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #1,775 of 1,803
I've been using JAN GE 5670W tubes in my Liquid Platinum. I like their sound and love their price. Very high on the bang for the buck scale along with good sound quality. I consider the sound to be generally similar to the Gold Lion new production 6922 tubes. The only negative aspect with the 5670W in the Liquid Platinum is that there is an audible hum through the headphones as the tubes warm up. Takes about 10 minutes or a bit more for the hum to go away when using Audeze headphones.

The 5670W does require an adapter. TubeDepot sells the tube with an adapter for $25 per tube. You can also find the tubes from other sellers and eBay for less.

iFi Audio uses the 5670W tubes in their hybrid amps. And several years ago they were selling the 5670W with a custom adapter as a 6922 substitute for other amps. They wrote up a PDF white paper to promote the 5670W as a 6922 substitute. The white paper is heavy on promotion. Link to the PDF here: iFi white paper on the GE 5670W tube

If you're looking for bang for the buck and are willing to use a tube that requires an adapter then the GE 5670W is worth a try.

Anyone know why the GE 5670W causes a hum through the Liquid Platinum as the tubes warm up? Is it something specific about Liquid Platinum circuit? The iFi socket adapter had a capacitor on the heater pin to filter out power noise or something. Would an adapter that has a little capacitor like that help get the GE 5670W to be quiet during warmup?
• Do you have the headphones plugged in while the LED is red, before the LED turns white? That is when the tube voltage is being ‘normalised’. Also, the adapter itself may be a source of hum. Are the adapter pins clean, firm? Is the adapter body itself loose or tight?
• EDIT: I always plug headphones in a few minutes after the LED turns white. Even though I use 12AU7s, with PTS 12Axx -> ECC88 adapters, I have not experienced hum through headphones - via XLR socket, no music, maximum volume setting.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #1,777 of 1,803

DO i need adpaters to use the 7DJ8?

Aug 9, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #1,778 of 1,803
DO i need adpaters to use the 7DJ8?
You shouldn’t need adapters for the 7DJ8; the ‘pin-outs’ are those of the 6DJ8 / 6922. Note that the 7DJ8 runs on seven volts; the 6DJ8, on six volts.

Dec 7, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #1,779 of 1,803
Do you guys know what could've happened to my LP? My local retailer gave me some "PCC88s" on top of few tube deals and when I got home I put those in to try them first. Well, they weren't PCC88s but PC88s. Didn't take too long after turning the amp on when some weird noise came out of the amp and just a tad bit of smoke, just to see some against dark background. After that I of course turned the thing off etc. but when trying to put it back on with 6922s, the red light didn't turn white after that puff of light smoke. I opened up the amp, there was literally no smoke trails or any melt down components, at least with my eye, I couldn't find anything special. What happened? It even warms up those 6922s (don't worry, I'm not re-starting it over and over again, just once so I could diagnose if the light works, if the tubes warm up etc. and everything else seems to be working but the light turning white and the audio to come through. Thanks already!

Dec 27, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #1,781 of 1,803
New to tube rolling and adventuring out of the standard 6922s that go with the liquid platinum. Is it possible to use 6sn7s or 6sn7-Ts with the LP if I get the 6sn7 to 6922 converters?
Of course it is, I can even offer the adapters.

20230706_220408.jpg

And no socket savers needed.

Dec 27, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #1,785 of 1,803
This is wrong. You cannot use 6SN7's in the LP. 6SN7's require double the heater current vs the 6922 rubes .... 0.6 amp vs 0.3 amp.
The LP transformer was not designed to provide that amount of heater current.
Perhaps we should wait for existing users to chime in, I could be wrong, but of the top of my head I have made them before, so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back