Liquid Platinum Tube Rollers.
Jul 14, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #796 of 1,808
Speaking of TM and Tubemaze, do you guys have a preferred source for someone starting out to learn about tube rolling in general? Getters, testing, calibration... I'm picking some things from general searches and looking at TM and Tubemaze, but wondering if you have favorites. It it quite a deep ocean of knowledge...

Jul 14, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #797 of 1,808
Speaking of TM and Tubemaze, do you guys have a preferred source for someone starting out to learn about tube rolling in general? Getters, testing, calibration... I'm picking some things from general searches and looking at TM and Tubemaze, but wondering if you have favorites. It it quite a deep ocean of knowledge...
A long read but the Schiit Lyr tube rollers thread here has everything you could ask for. Any questions you may have has been answered numerous times.

Jul 14, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #800 of 1,808
I'd skip the few hundred or so pages. I'd start at around 2017ish and read from there. Many of the tubes in Schiit amps can be used in the LP. Notable exceptions are ECC81, 6201, A2900, 6N2P and others.
Right. I'm less interested in particular recommendations but in tube knowledge in general (like features to be aware of, testing requirements, cautions regarding use, etc. like a primer); but I guess I can ferret that out from the various sub-threads. thx.

Jul 17, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #801 of 1,808
So, it's time for a roll! I have been really digging the Sylvania Gold Brand Triple Mica Short Grey Plate Square Getter 5814a, and honestly this could be endgame, but as an avid tube roller I just have try another tube. So with that said here is today's roll, and this roll is dedicated to @TK16, as he was the one who showed me this tube.:wink:

The famous 7316 Long Plate Foil D Getter 58'
20200717_062130.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #802 of 1,808
So, it's time for a roll! I have been really digging the Sylvania Gold Brand Triple Mica Short Grey Plate Square Getter 5814a, and honestly this could be endgame, but as an avid tube roller I just have try another tube. So with that said here is today's roll, and this roll is dedicated to @TK16, as he was the one who showed me this tube.:wink:

The famous 7316 Long Plate Foil D Getter 58'
20200717_062130.jpg
Let us know how they sound.

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #804 of 1,808
Hey yall!

So, I listened with the 7316 Long Plate Foil D Getter's 58' all day yesterday, and there is a reason @TK16 has them ranked # 1 on his tube rankings.:wink: These things are magical in my cap modded LP! The first thing that jumps out is the freaking huge 3D sounstage. The sound seems to jump way outside the ear cups, and fill up my whole room. The bass hits hard and tight with a little more bloom than my Sylvania 5814a, and is much welcomed. The mids and highs are delicious and smooth, while still being detailed and dynamic, and the notes have weight and texture to them you can feel. The 7316 seems to combine the best attributes of some of my favorite tubes into one magical, super fun and highly capable sound signature, that is addictive to listen to. The 7316 LP Foil D, has the perfect combination of warmth and detail, and has one of the blackest backgrounds I have heard in a tube, which makes for an exciting and fatigue free listening experience. This tube has been hunted nearly to extinction and I can clearly see why, and while I like it in my Bottlehead Crack, I can honestly say I freaking love it in my cap modded LP! :o2smile:

Happy listening, rolling, and tube hunting!

Wes

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #805 of 1,808
Hey yall!

So, I listened with the 7316 Long Plate Foil D Getter's 58' all day yesterday, and there is a reason @TK16 has them ranked # 1 on his tube rankings.:wink: These things are magical in my cap modded LP! The first thing that jumps out is the freaking huge 3D sounstage. The sound seems to jump way outside the ear cups, and fill up my whole room. The bass hits hard and tight with a little more bloom than my Sylvania 5814a, and is much welcomed. The mids and highs are delicious and smooth, while still being detailed and dynamic, and the notes have weight and texture to them you can feel. The 7316 seems to combine the best attributes of some of my favorite tubes into one magical, super fun and highly capable sound signature, that is addictive to listen to. The 7316 LP Foil D, has the perfect combination of warmth and detail, and has one of the blackest backgrounds I have heard in a tube, which makes for an exciting and fatigue free listening experience. This tube has been hunted nearly to extinction and I can clearly see why, and while I like it in my Bottlehead Crack, I can honestly say I freaking love it in my cap modded LP! :o2smile:

Happy listening, rolling, and tube hunting!

Wes
Wanted to add that if you cannot find the long plate D-getter, the 59 D-getter short plate 7316 is a freaking fantastic listen. Highly recommended if you cannot find the long plate 7316. They can run a bit less expensive if you take your time searching.
@Wes S since you are fine using adapter tubes there are some fantastic PCC88 out there. 7 volt heater that runs happily at 6.3 volts.

Jul 18, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #806 of 1,808
Wanted to add that if you cannot find the long plate D-getter, the 59 D-getter short plate 7316 is a freaking fantastic listen. Highly recommended if you cannot find the long plate 7316. They can run a bit less expensive if you take your time searching.
@Wes S since you are fine using adapter tubes there are some fantastic PCC88 out there. 7 volt heater that runs happily at 6.3 volts.
The short plate D Getter is on my hunting list, as well as another pair of the LP for backup. The 7316 D Getter is legit, no doubt. The huge 3D like soundstage is epic, and so much fun.

I will look into this PCC88, and have definitely noticed them in your signature and tube rankings.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #809 of 1,808
Next tube on deck for a roll is a special one for me, and is my true "Holy Grail" 12AU7. This tube is as rare as they come and I have hunted for this one every day all day for the past couple of years, and just recently found a pair. This tube is considered a TOTL level tube by anyone who has heard it, and was a favorite of mine in my Bottlehead Crack. Known for it's warmth and musicality with amazing detail and speed with a euphonicly textured midrange and some of the best treble of any tube I have heard. Also, this tube is known for it's huge expansive 3D soundstage, and I can't wait to hear it compared to the 7316's insanely big stage. This tube definitely has that "tube magic" that some of the better NOS tubes are known for, and I can't wait to hear it in the cap modded LP! :o2smile:

Hamburg Valvo ECC82 Long Plate Foil D Getter 56'

K62 D6A
20200718_193759.jpg

20200718_194532.jpg

Happy Rolling and Listening!

Wes

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back