Liquid Platinum Tube Rollers.
Aug 3, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #947 of 1,808
Aug 5, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #949 of 1,808
So, I just got to hear the D Getter 7730 Long Plates, and they sound a bit different than the Bent Square Getters, but still sound killer. The D's are a bit more forward and impactuful. The bass on the D's is the strongest I have heard on the LP, and hits so hard and tight, it sounds as if the drivers might blow if I turn it up to loud. The mids and especially vocals are more forward on the D's vs. Squares, and the soundstage is a bit less taller and wider. However, the depth and layering of the D's is a bit better. Overall, I prefer the slightly smoother and more open sound of the Squares, but the D's are almost as good to me and just might be the preferred by some. I would rank the D's just below the Squares, and if you can find either version jump on them!

Raytheon 7730 Long Plate D Getters
20200803_172707.jpg

Aug 8, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #952 of 1,808
Valvo (Rebranded Bugle Boy) Hamburg ECC82 Long Plate D Getters 56'

20200721_114558.jpg
20200721_114542.jpg

The pair of tubes look like 2 genuine Amperex Bugle Boys to me, since they have the Bugle Boy logo and were made in Holland. If they are Valvo, they would have been made in West Germany possibly.

But you know I haven't done lots of study on 12AU7 tubes.:beyersmile: So can you explain why these are Valvo tubes, Wes?

Aug 8, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #954 of 1,808
The pair of tubes look like 2 genuine Amperex Bugle Boys to me, since they have the Bugle Boy logo and were made in Holland. If they are Valvo, they would have been made in West Germany possibly.

But you know I haven't done lots of study on 12AU7 tubes.:beyersmile: So can you explain why these are Valvo tubes, Wes?
The have the acid etched code of K62 D6G. The K62 stands for 2 version of the Long Plate and the D stands for Hamburg Germany Plant (Valvo) 6 stands for 1956' and G stands for July. There are always going to be rebranded tubes, however acid etched codes always override what is painted on the tube, and you can find good deals this way.
20200721_114542.jpg

Aug 8, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #955 of 1,808
@cddc Take a look at this pair!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373131159554

The one on left is a true Holland Bugle Boy the one on the right is actually a Hamburg Germany (Valvo) rebrand. The seller doesn't even know that one tube is worth twice as much as the other.
Screenshot_20200808-032948_eBay.jpg

You can barely tell by looking at the plates, but I know what to look for. Look closely at the tabs that hold the plates together and you will see the Hamburg tube on the right has the tabs pushed through to the outside leaving a little bit of chrome finish showing. The Holland tube has the tabs pushed through to the inside. This might not makes sense and is hard to explain, so I recommend looking for acid etched codes. This seller doesn't show them in a pic, but list the codes in the description, and still doesn't realize they are different because they were made in different countries. I have studied thousands of picks and studied many in person, to learn all the subtle differences in the build structure, so I can identify the really special ones, and often have found deals on rebranded tubes.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #956 of 1,808
The have the acid etched code of K62 D6G. The K62 stands for 2 version of the Long Plate and the D stands for Hamburg Germany Plant (Valvo) 6 stands for 1956' and G stands for July. There are always going to be rebranded tubes, however acid etched codes always override what is painted on the tube, and you can find good deals this way.

Cool, I know rebranding is quite common in tubes, but the pair of Valvo tubes really confused me :deadhorse:

I've seen Mullard 12AU7 rebranded as Amperex, but it still has "Made in Gt. Britain" printed on the bottle, so at least I know it's a British tube and it can't be an Amperex. I've also seen Amperex rebranded as Mullard, but on the bottle it says "Made in Holland". So I thought the Made in country should always be correct. But in this case the Made in country can also be incorrect.... :deadhorse:

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #957 of 1,808
Tube Rolling 101 - Fun Fact for Today - "Rebranded Tubes"

Hey all, so with that last question I am going to do another fun fact. Back in the day, tube manufacturers would run low on stock every now and then, and would actually have another company send them some tubes, and they would slap their label on them, and sell them as their own. This always seems strange to me, especially way back then, but I see it all the time, and many times sellers selling said tube, don't know what they have. So, often times with the seller not really knowing the true origin of a tube, they will list them for a lot less than they are worth. So, no matter what is written on the tube, the acid etched code from the factory where it was made will always signify where the tube came from, the printing on the tube just signifies what company is selling the tube.

Happy Rolling, Hunting, and Listening.

Aug 8, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #958 of 1,808
Cool, I know rebranding is quite common in tubes, but the pair of Valvo tubes really confused me :deadhorse:

I've seen Mullard 12AU7 rebranded as Amperex, but it still has "Made in Gt. Britain" printed on the bottle, so at least I can know it's a British tube and it can't be an Amperex. I've also seen Amperex rebranded as Mullard, but on the bottle it says "Made in Holland". So I thought the Made in country should always be correct. But in this case the Made in country can also be incorrect.... :deadhorse:
Again, it is all about the acid etched codes, on the lower side of the tube, and I bet that Mullard has an acid etched code with a B in it for Blackburn, and the Amperex has a triangle acid etched on it to signify Holland.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #959 of 1,808
Here is a Mullard ECC82 Long Plate Square Getter from Blackburn.

The codes are hard to photo, but you can barely see the B in the second line.

K61 > first version of Long Plate
B7H > Blackburn 1957 August
20200808_035103.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #960 of 1,808
@cddc Take a look at this pair!

The one on left is a true Holland Bugle Boy the one on the right is actually a Hamburg Germany (Valvo) rebrand. The seller doesn't even know that one tube is worth twice as much as the other.

You can barely tell by looking at the plates, but I know what to look for. Look closely at the tabs that hold the plates together and you will see the Hamburg tube on the right has the tabs pushed through to the outside leaving a little bit of chrome finish showing. The Holland tube has the tabs pushed through to the inside. This might not makes sense and is hard to explain, so I recommend looking for acid etched codes. This seller doesn't show them in a pic, but list the codes in the description, and still doesn't realize they are different because they were made in different countries. I have studied thousands of picks and studied many in person, to learn all the subtle differences in the build structure, so I can identify the really special ones, and often have found deals on rebranded tubes.

Holly...these 2 tubes look almost identical to me.:disappointed_relieved:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back