Liquid Platinum Tube Rollers.
Jul 31, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #931 of 1,808
I don't remember what the price was in that particular order. But since a month ago I am a corporate customer of DHL and for the same 3-4 delivery it's only 25$.
Not for me but do you make 5670 to ECC88 adapters as well? There are some really good tubes that work in the LP like Foton or Reflektor 6N3P, Western Electric 396A and others.

Jul 31, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #933 of 1,808
I even make stranger things

IMG_20200507_194456.jpg
IMG_20200507_194451.jpg
IMG_20200507_194446.jpg

Jul 31, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #934 of 1,808
Hey y'all! The next tube up for my LP tube rolling adventures with 12AU7's, is in the house and is a very special one folks. This tube is super rare for a reason, and completely blew my mind last night. This tube is in a class by itself, and my desire of tube hunting for 12AU7's ends with this tube, as it's that good. This tube has been described quite well a few pages back by my man @Guidostrunk, so I will just share some pics. I will say it is without a doubt, the best tube I have heard in the 12AU7 family. This tube puts you there with the musicians like no other, and is one of the best experiences I have had in the hobby so far. These puppies won't be leaving my amp anytime soon, if ever. :o2smile:

Raytheon 7730 Long Plate Bent Square Getters

20200730_035946.jpg
20200730_040012.jpg

Happy Rolling, Hunting, and Listening.

Wes
Well, if you really want to hear what good tubes can do in an Liquid Platinum, you need to send it to Keith for his caps mod... the best $150 you will ever spend on music!! I got my LP back from him today and had planned to go back to bed with this bad headache after hooking it up to start burning in the mod, but ever since my first song, I just keep on playing my favorite Flac and AIFF files... I've been listening now for over 2 hours!! The biggest change is how clean everything is... what I thought were just misrecorded portions are so so clear now. And, even with the headache, I keep tweaking the volume up because the burrs are gone... just clean dynamic music!!

Man, as cheap as this amp is, Head-Fiers ought to order one in and see for themselves... put about a hundred hours on it so they know how a stock unit sounds with their favorite tubes, and then contact Keith for a time to send it to him. It's not only a clean dynamic sound with all the cymbals, tink-a-links, and all those things in the upper scale of a band or orchestra, but female vocals are now really live like... and you hear back into that soprano's throat... like Katherine Jenkins... so sweet and dynamic! And, the lows are so much controlled with all of their nuances!

Wow... what an amp!! Since I began this headphone journey 11 years ago, I've had amps that cost over $3K... and I guarantee you not one can beat the LP with this mod. It's got all the power to drive even HE6... which I once had. My system now consists of a Mac mini with Audirvana, Topping D90 DAC, the LP Amp and Hifiman Arya Headphones. This is the cheapest high end headphone system I've had... and now the best!!

Oh, yes, my favorite tubes for the LP that I have so far are the Telefunken E88CC-TK.

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #935 of 1,808
Well, if you really want to hear what good tubes can do in an Liquid Platinum, you need to send it to Keith for his caps mod... the best $150 you will ever spend on music!! I got my LP back from him today and had planned to go back to bed with this bad headache after hooking it up to start burning in the mod, but ever since my first song, I just keep on playing my favorite Flac and AIFF files... I've been listening now for over 2 hours!! The biggest change is how clean everything is... what I thought were just misrecorded portions are so so clear now. And, even with the headache, I keep tweaking the volume up because the burrs are gone... just clean dynamic music!!

Man, as cheap as this amp is, Head-Fiers ought to order one in and see for themselves... put about a hundred hours on it so they know how a stock unit sounds with their favorite tubes, and then contact Keith for a time to send it to him. It's not only a clean dynamic sound with all the cymbals, tink-a-links, and all those things in the upper scale of a band or orchestra, but female vocals are now really live like... and you hear back into that soprano's throat... like Katherine Jenkins... so sweet and dynamic! And, the lows are so much controlled with all of their nuances!

Wow... what an amp!! Since I began this headphone journey 11 years ago, I've had amps that cost over $3K... and I guarantee you not one can beat the LP with this mod. It's got all the power to drive even HE6... which I once had. My system now consists of a Mac mini with Audirvana, Topping D90 DAC, the LP Amp and Hifiman Arya Headphones. This is the cheapest high end headphone system I've had... and now the best!!

Oh, yes, my favorite tubes for the LP that I have so far are the Telefunken E88CC-TK.
Nice man, and I do have the cap mod (one of the first to get it done, and still going strong), and concur with your findings. :wink: I highly recommend 12AU7's with an adapter, and they take the amp to an even higher level of performance, and are especially better than any of the new production 6922's.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #938 of 1,808
So, I have gone through all my "Rare Top Tier" 12AU7's and here us how I rank them, and how they sound compared to each other in the cap modded LP.

My chain used to test all tubes - Quboz HiRez > Schiit Gungnir Multibit (A1) > Liquid Platinum (balanced in and out) > ZMF Aeolus (Norne Draug 3s cable) > :o2smile:

1. Raytheon 7730 Long Plate Bent Square Getter - This tube is incredible and upon first listen, everything sounds so forward, big, and lifelike in the mids, I got a bit disoriented and could not tell if I was in my room or on stage with the musicians. The overall balance and tonality of this tube is incredible, and no part of the frequency response over shadows the other. The bass is the strongest, tightest and most impactful of all the tubes tested. The soundstage is very holographic/3D and the overall balance and clarity of this tube is tops. The dynamics and PRAT are outstanding with this tube, and it really gets the body moving. This tube is fun and technically capable at the same time, and puts you there with the musicians like no other. This tube is endgame, no doubt.
20200730_035946.jpg

2. Valvo Hamburg ECC82 Long Plate Bent Square Getter 56' - This tube is right there with the 7730, and they have some slight differences and each have their strengths, but the overall balance of the 7730 edges this one out for 1st place. This tube however has sweeter vocals, that are more forward and clear, as well as better top end extension. The bass quality is pretty much the same as the 7730, but just maybe a tad bit less impactful. Where this tube shines is in the soundstage, and it is huge and the biggest I have heard. The lower mids are a bit further back compared to the 7730, and there is more air in the mids and treble, which helps create that huge soundstage. This tube has the same dynamics and PRAT of the 7730, and gets the body moving.
20200801_071309.jpg

20200801_093006.jpg

3. Valvo Hamburg ECC82 Long Plate Foil D Getter 56' - This tube is basically the same as the Bent Square getter, with a tad bit less impact and a slightly smaller stage, but still has the "Magic".
20200718_193759.jpg

***These first 3 tubes are harmonically rich and have an amazing combination of dynamics and punch with detail and a delicate touch. This is what I call "Tube Magic".*** :wink:

4. Brimar CV4034 Long Plate O Getter 70' - This tube lacks just a bit of that harmonic richness and delicate refinement the first 3 tubes have, but is still just as dynamic. Where this tube shines is in it's detail and transparency. This tube seems to combine the huge stage and air of the Valvo with the balance of the 7730, and is a killer tube no doubt. The bass impact is just slightly less than the Valvo, and has amazing texture and speed to it. The mids are well balanced, and the vocals are front and center, with really good air in the treble as well. This tube is really good, and shows you that good ones were still being made in the 70's. Overall though, it seems to just be lacking a tiny bit of the "Magic" or character of the first 3.
20200724_112311.jpg

5. Raytheon 7730 Short Plate O Getter - This tube has great balance and detail, but lacks the "Magic" of the higher rated tubes, and basically takes everything I like about the Sylvania 5814a listed below, and adds better bass impact, which is much welcomed.
20200724_052043.jpg

6. Sylvania 5814a Gold Brand or JHS Triple Mica Short Grey Plate Square Getter 62' - This tube is the definition of balanced, and has a really nice and forward euphonicly textured midrange. This tube has great transparency and detail with a little organic warmth. The soundstage is quite 3D, but not the widest or deepest. The bass has good punch and impact, but is not elevated and ultimately leaves me wanting more. I will say though, if you are looking for a well balanced or neutral sounding tube that won't break the bank, this is it.
20200801_080634.jpg

7. CBS-HYTRON 5814a Black Plate Bent Square Getter - This tube basically sounds like the Sylvania 5814a listed above, but has more of a mid bass bloom, which gives it a bit more warmth. So, if you are looking for a slightly darker but still well balanced neutralish sound this tube is great. The stage is a bit bigger than the Sylvania as well.
20200801_082433.jpg

8. 7316 Long Plate Foil D Getter 58' - This tube is a really fun and a good sounding tube, that is a favorite of many, however it lacks a bit of the balance and refinement of the tubes ranked above it. This tube has a killer 3D soundstage and air in the mids and treble. Where this tube falls short is in the clarity of the mids and vocals, and there is a bit of bite/distortion in the upper mids and lower treble, that can trigger some fatigue for me on longer listen sessions. The bass is tight and textured, but not as strong and impactful as the tubes above it. Overall, this a great tube and has a really fun soundstage, but is not in the same league as the top 4, due to lack of clarity, balance and delicate refinement.
20200717_062130.jpg

I want to point out, that these tubes are rare and super hard to find for a reason, so don't expect to hop on ebay right after reading this and buy a set. :wink: For example, it took me 2 years to find the Valvo Hamburg Foil D and Bent Square Getter sets, but was well worth the effort. These tubes are so good compared to all the others in the 12AU7 family, that they have been hunted nearly to extinction. However, there seems to be more and more tube collectors from back in the day selling off their stashes these days, so they do pop up every now and then. Part of the fun for me is hunting down these rare gems, and once you do find and hear one of these rare tubes, you will understand my enthusiasm. :o2smile:

Happy Rolling, Hunting, and Listening.

Wes

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #939 of 1,808
Now THAT is a helpful review for folks looking for some of the best 12AU7, Wes S!

I understand your excitement when you get another top tier tube and it is crowned 'The Best' but it is these comparisons that are a true value to LP users looking for rare but great 12AU7 types. Well done!

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #941 of 1,808
So there's no confusion. The 7730 was manufactured by CBS Hytron. Most tube companies will label their tubes for other companies. Raytheon being one of them. 20200801_162822.jpg
I think whoever recommened the 7730 in the first place needs to apologize to the people new to the 12AU7 line:ksc75smile:.
On another note anybody looking for USA made 7316?!? Just kidding Sammy.

Aug 2, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #944 of 1,808
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back