Liquid Platinum Tube Rollers.
Feb 4, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #79 of 1,808
Can you confirm they have V2 on the bottom (pin side)?

Yes .. doesn't matter what version tho, fact is they are just faulty.

IMG_20190205_113001.jpg

Feb 4, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #80 of 1,808
how easy is it to take those tube monger socket savers out of LP. I understand they make it easier to tube roll but once installed can we take it out easily as well. Does the upper surface of the saver goes above the top cover of LP or is it below the cover of LP. If it is below the top cover of LP wouldn't it be difficult to take it out.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #81 of 1,808
how easy is it to take those tube monger socket savers out LP. I understand they make it easier to tube toll but once installed can we take it out easily as well. Does the upper surface of the saver goes above the top cover of LP or is it below the cover of LP. If it is below the top cover of LP wouldn't it be difficult to take it out.
My fear exactly...

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #82 of 1,808
Switched from the Gumby to my tube dac with a pair of 59 Heerlen 6922 D getters in it, I had very little volume control with the Gumby. Getting a Nobsound NS 05P for the Gumby and LP. Tube dac has volume control on in so I have more freedom with the LP volume control. Still burning in the set of Blackburns in the LP. LP has about 100 hours on it and coming along nicely.

Feb 5, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #83 of 1,808
Can anyone comment on how easy (or not) it is to remove the Tubemonger socket savers if needed?
Is there anywhere one could hold them to pull them out? Or would wiggling gently with a tube pull both (tube + socket saver) out?

Feb 5, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #85 of 1,808
Can anyone comment on how easy (or not) it is to remove the Tubemonger socket savers if needed?
Is there anywhere one could hold them to pull them out? Or would wiggling gently with a tube pull both (tube + socket saver) out?

I have to mention this:

If you do decide to roll different tubes with adapters you'll most likely be purchasing socket savers. Because of the very tight space left between the sides of the hole and the socket saver; you'll find that it's *very* hard to get those adapters out in case one happens to fail. The holes themselves are smaller then that of the Mjolnir 2 and because the sockets are fairly new you'll find that they have a death grip on those socket savers. As a suggestion (and maybe others can suggest a better solution) someone in the Lyr Tube rolling thread mentioned to tie floss around the base of the socket saver and when you're ready to replace them you can pull it up and out.

Not that I've recently experienced any of these issues with this amp. *Cough* *Cough*

Feb 5, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #86 of 1,808

You can try the wiggle approach first. If that doesn't work, I wouldn't suggest attempting to take the LP apart unless you have a service manual, The Tubenmonger socket savers have a hole in the center filled with silicon. Harbor Freight carries a $4 set of angled picks. One of the L-shaped picks can fit down through the silicon and hook on the underside of the socket saver and be used to then wiggle the socket saver out.

Feb 5, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #87 of 1,808
You can try the wiggle approach first. If that doesn't work, I wouldn't suggest attempting to take the LP apart unless you have a service manual, The Tubenmonger socket savers have a hole in the center filled with silicon. Harbor Freight carries a $4 set of angled picks. One of the L-shaped picks can fit down through the silicon and hook on the underside of the socket saver and be used to then wiggle the socket saver out.

Tried this and didn’t work so well. The TM socket savers is a well made but not meant to be handled this way. The SS wouldn’t budge an inch for me. Had to try the needle nose pliers and slowly rocket it back and forth until too much pressure broke the inside of the pin hole. Tried another, broke as well until I almost had given up. The easiest way for me to remove them was to open up the physical amp, have a long screw driver with a flat head, and slowly wiggle the bottom of the socket saver up. This was from the back of the amp. It was long and stressful process lol.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #88 of 1,808
Still rockin the Amperex 7308, and everytime i think about rolling something else to switch things up, i give them a listen and i am seduced again. I am freakin loving my system right now. The cups literally just disapear, and sound is all around me and i am in the room with the musicians. Listening to Ripple, and i am on stage, with the Dead. Perfection.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #89 of 1,808
Tried this and didn’t work so well. The TM socket savers is a well made but not meant to be handled this way. The SS wouldn’t budge an inch for me. Had to try the needle nose pliers and slowly rocket it back and forth until too much pressure broke the inside of the pin hole. Tried another, broke as well until I almost had given up. The easiest way for me to remove them was to open up the physical amp, have a long screw driver with a flat head, and slowly wiggle the bottom of the socket saver up. This was from the back of the amp. It was long and stressful process lol.
Did the nurse wipe your forehead during surgery?

Feb 5, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #90 of 1,808
Still rockin the Amperex 7308, and everytime i think about rolling something else to switch things up, i give them a listen and i am seduced again. I am freakin loving my system right now. The cups literally just disapear, and sound is all around me and i am in the room with the musicians. Listening to Ripple, and i am on stage, with the Dead. Perfection.
Think you would enjoy this and good priced. The best USA Amperex I heard.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Amperex-6922-Gold-Pin-D-getter-1959-1960-Vacuum-Tubes/223333644183

Users who are viewing this thread

Back