Liquid Platinum Tube Rollers.
Feb 20, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #196 of 1,803
I’ve been using the Amperex Heerlen d-getters for a while now, and it’s quite an interesting contrast to the stock EH tubes.

Probably the biggest difference would be the V-shape response it has relative to the EH. Mid bass punchiness is significantly increased (especially listening to string bass plucking in jazz) and sub bass extension is slightly better. Treble is presented a bit more forward and thus perceived detail is better (texture of percussion is clearer).

Another thing I noticed was that everything sounded a bit tighter (less diffuse) and head stage seemed to be slightly more intimate.

Overall I’ve been enjoying these tubes, and it helps my HD800S have a warmer tone while not smearing the treble like some other Heerlen tubes.
The Heerlen D getter 6922 and the Heerlen PW CCa are by far the best Heerlen tubes I ever tried. Though those 2 have very different sound signatures. Tried a bunch of different E88CC, E188CC, CCa, E180CC, ECC81 and those 2 I mentioned are by far the best I have heard.

Feb 23, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #198 of 1,803
Anyone tried WE396A tubes with Focal Elear or Clear?
The reason I am asking is because I got a pair of WE396As (actually, 3 tubes - more on that later), and tried with Massdrop Elex through Balanced headphone, and it is quite noisy :frowning2: Kind of seashell ocean whoosh background noise (even when volume knob is on ZERO).
It is quite noticeable on one side, but not as much on the other. swapping tubes swaps the side that is more noticeable (as expected, but had to check!)
I have a 3rd WE396A tube and that one is SUPER noisy.

So... am I unlucky?? or is 396A just un-usable on LP with easy to drive cans like the Elex (or Elear / Clear)?

Feb 23, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #199 of 1,803
The reason I am asking is because I got a pair of WE396As (actually, 3 tubes - more on that later), and tried with Massdrop Elex through Balanced headphone, and it is quite noisy :frowning2: Kind of seashell ocean whoosh background noise (even when volume knob is on ZERO).
It is quite noticeable on one side, but not as much on the other. swapping tubes swaps the side that is more noticeable (as expected, but had to check!)
So... am I unlucky?? or is 396A just un-usable on LP with easy to drive cans like the Elex (or Elear / Clear)?
I just got a pair of tubes, 1 is noisy on LP, got them in my MJ2 now and super quiet. I'll check some other tubes for noise in the LP later today.

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #201 of 1,803

Hey Zachik,

The pair of WE 396A and GE 5670 5* that I use in the LP are quiet. The amp will amplify any sound those tubes have.

Wasn’t as lucky with my LM Ericsson 396As which are noisy like yours. Shame really because those tubes sound great. So it’s a hit or miss with these particular tubes.

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #202 of 1,803
Tested all my LP compatible tubes for noise. 1 pair WE 48,49 396A is noisy I LP
1 tube out of my Mitcham ECC82 is noisy in LP.
Had to mix up 2 pair of CBS 5670 to get a non noisy pair in LP. Had to mix up 2 pair of TS 2C51 to get a non noisy pair in LP. All these "problem" tubes work flawlessly in the MJ2.

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #203 of 1,803
Hey Zachik,

The pair of WE 396A and GE 5670 5* that I use in the LP are quiet. The amp will amplify any sound those tubes have.

Wasn’t as lucky with my LM Ericsson 396As which are noisy like yours. Shame really because those tubes sound great. So it’s a hit or miss with these particular tubes.

Had to mix up 2 pair of CBS 5670 to get a non noisy pair in LP. Had to mix up 2 pair of TS 2C51 to get a non noisy pair in LP. All these "problem" tubes work flawlessly in the MJ2.
Thanks guys for the quick response!
Which headphones did you check with? I will test later today with HD600 and HD800 and see if noise is still there... The Massdrop Elex is very easy to drive so I suspect much more sensitive to noise.

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #204 of 1,803
Back when i was using the We396A, in my Valhalla 2, it seemed like every other pair i got, was noisy or microphonic. Same thing with the Tung Sol 2C51 i have. I have had more issues with that tube type than with my 6SN7 and 6922 tubes. I will say, that when i found a pair that was dead quite, they were the best tubes i have heard, to this day. Maybe just how that tube type is? Best to buy them, with a return option, if possible. :o2smile:

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #205 of 1,803
That is interesting. Is this because of different designs, on how the amps work with the tube?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #207 of 1,803
Thanks guys for the quick response!
Which headphones did you check with? I will test later today with HD600 and HD800 and see if noise is still there... The Massdrop Elex is very easy to drive so I suspect much more sensitive to noise.

ZMF Auteurs/Verite and Aeon Open Flow.

One thing I’d like to point out is that every one of Russian tubes (6n23p or 6n3p) that I’ve tried none were noisy on the LP. That’s 7 out of 7 pairs which is impressive.

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #208 of 1,803
ZMF Auteurs/Verite and Aeon Open Flow.

One thing I’d like to point out is that every one of Russian tubes (6n23p or 6n3p) that I’ve tried none were noisy on the LP. That’s 7 out of 7 pairs which is impressive.
Interesting - tried 3 Russian pairs. All dead quiet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back