Liquid Platinum Tube Rollers.
Feb 9, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #137 of 1,802
Feb 9, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #138 of 1,802
What is the best method for straightening the pins on tubes when they appear crooked and are difficult to align with sockets during insertions?

Feb 10, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #139 of 1,802
What is the best method for straightening the pins on tubes when they appear crooked and are difficult to align with sockets during insertions?

I use this. Works great.

Screenshot_20190209-212331_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Feb 10, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #140 of 1,802
Feb 10, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #141 of 1,802
Complete noob (first hybrid amp, first tube amp for that matter) actually just got my LP today ordered from Amazon, looking for recommendations for tubes to get for my LP, currently just have the stock tubes but curious about tube rolling. Looking for tubes that have good sound stage and imaging. I am treble sensitive so I need to take that into consideration. Reading this thread one of the tubes I am considering is The Tungsram PCC88 / 7DJ8 as It was mentioned a few times as being a “good” tube for the LP. No idea if this is anything that might be what I am looking for, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I have two different DACs connected first via XLR is the SMSL SU-8 v2 and second is the Oppo BDP 105D via RCA, question about the LP concerning the input selector button, I was playing music through the Oppo via RCA input on the LP and when the input selector button was on the XLR balanced input I could hear the music playing via the RCA input if I turned the volume up. Obviously once I selected the rca input I would hear the music as normal but I am curious as to why I could hear the music when the input selector was on balanced if the volume was turned up and RCA input is what was playing, is this normal or is something wrong with my Liquid Platinum? My headphones were connected via the XLR balanced output.

Thank you

Jeremy

Feb 10, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #143 of 1,802
Lol the “death grip”. I didn’t enjoy the Mullard ECC88. It did have a good sound but treble was scratchy. I was thinking the Siemens E88CC would bring out more treble but really it made the low end come out more. The Siemens CCa is the total opposite: bright and fast but too bright for my tastes. I think out of all the tubes (6DJ8/e88cc equivalent) the Philips SQ e188cc are my favorite. Second are the Telefunken e188ccs and tie for third are the Amperex 6922s/PCC88 Tungsram. The Russian 6N23Ps that I have with the Electro Harmonix make it sound too warm for my taste.

Are you referring to Philips SQ e188cc tubes such as these?:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-e188cc-SQ-/202593131030?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Feb 10, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #144 of 1,802
I just use a pencil eraser, works well for me.

Thanks, but may I know exactly what kind of pencil eraser you might be referring to? Do you have a link to a picture of it?

Feb 10, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #146 of 1,802

I would be very hesitant on buying anything from Serbia, Russia, Ukraine, or China when it comes to these tubes. Plenty of fakes going around. The code checks out but something about the lettering feels off. I’d personally pass on those tubes.

But yes, those are what they would look like. I can post a pic later today on what to look for.

Feb 10, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #148 of 1,802
Are you looking for the USA or Holland version?

I guess the best way to answer this question is ==>> I am looking for the better sounding version of the two... The ones pictured in the sale are Holland versions, I suppose. What are your thoughts about them?

Feb 10, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #149 of 1,802
I would be very hesitant on buying anything from Serbia, Russia, Ukraine, or China when it comes to these tubes. Plenty of fakes going around. The code checks out but something about the lettering feels off. I’d personally pass on those tubes.

But yes, those are what they would look like. I can post a pic later today on what to look for.

Funny you should mention that... It is actually the second time I have seen those listed... I passed the first time because the seller only has 2 feedback scores, and I always insist on buying from sellers with a more substantial minimum of ratings, just as a precaution. However, i appreciate the warning about possible fakes too. Thanks.

Feb 10, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #150 of 1,802
I guess the best way to answer this question is ==>> I am looking for the better sounding version of the two... The ones pictured in the sale are Holland versions, I suppose. What are your thoughts about them?
Heerlen, Holland house sound. Good tubes, I have heard better Holland's. Nice warmth, excellent kids. Good bass, airy highs. No experience with the USA E188CC, but I suspect they are closer to neutral with very good high end from what I've read. Wether which you would prefer that's up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back