Liquid luxury in cans?
Dec 31, 2001 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

johnnylexus

500+ Head-Fier
I'm not an audiophile. I'm new to hi-end cans, but here goes...

What do you guys/gals think is the most luxuriously liquid, warm, musical, sweet, enveloping set of cans out there? I suppose to fit this description, they may even be "colored" to some degree. Ample bass is a plus as well.

Thanks for your input.

Dec 31, 2001 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 29
any kind of price you wanna give us? go for the Orpheus if price isn´t an issue, RS-1 if price kinda is, and HD600 if price is. I personally think the HD600 would be the right cans for you, they truly are beautiful and "liquid" sounding.

Dec 31, 2001 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 29
Ample bass, warm and enveloping - sounds like the Beyer 770pros
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2001 at 11:25 AM Post #5 of 29
Gradoistcool:

yeah, Orpheus and RS-1 are too expensive. these cans would have to be less than $1K.

I have the 600's and they're not filling the need. I like them a lot, but they just don't quite do it. They're a bit too sterile for me and kind of edgy.

Dec 31, 2001 at 11:40 AM Post #6 of 29
I'm really surprised that Gradoiscool failed to mention the Grado 325's. I can now say, since I have 'em, that for most music I listen to the Grado's are really superior with the exception of the comfort factor which is not an issue with me anyway. I

Dec 31, 2001 at 12:44 PM Post #7 of 29
You definitely want either the Sony CD1700, Grado RS-1, or Sennheiser HD-600. All three have a lush, warm midrange. And regardless of how much you pay for any of them, you can still easily fit a headphone amp into your budget as well and still keep it all below $1000.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2001 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 29
Since you didn't mention them, I would suggest trying the Blue Clou from HeadRoom instead of upgrading your headphones. When I recently added the Blue Clou, it was amazing the improvement to the HD-600s. With a 30-day trial period, you can always send them back and only be out the shipping if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Dec 31, 2001 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

the most luxuriously liquid, warm, musical, sweet, enveloping set of cans

One more vote for the Beyer 770 Pros. BTW, I am not fond of the HD 600s either.

Dec 31, 2001 at 3:05 PM Post #10 of 29
Audio Addict: would you be so kind as to describe the kind of improvement you noticed with the Clou cable? do you have to solder the new cable in place?

Dec 31, 2001 at 4:21 PM Post #11 of 29
If you're hearing the sound as "sterile", it's likely not the HD-600. The midrange is where these cans are at their best. They will also reveal what's going on with upstream equipment. I've only tried a lower end Headroom product (old style Supreme), but was very unimpressed with the sound.

The Clou cable improves detail, bass extension, definition, clarity...it's a definite upgrade in interconnects and raises the Senns to a higher level of performance. However, I'm not sure that addresses the sound characteristics you're looking for.

If you can find one, try out a TDS passive audiophile. This is a processor that I posted on in the tweaks forum a while ago. I've used it with AKG cans to bring out the midrange and achieve a better tonal balance. With Senns, I don't use it, as the midrange becomes dominant, making the highs and lows seem recessed.

The more I look at what you wrote that you're looking for: "liquid, warm, musical, sweet, enveloping", the more I think that the cans are not the issue. What you're writing describes the sound of a tube amp over a solid state one. The only tube headphone amp I've heard is the X-Can, which probably won't fit the bill, particularly with stock tubes. However, several highly regarded amps that might achieve what you're looking for include the Wheatfields, Earmax Pro, Berning MicroZOTL, and RKV, and perhaps the MG Head OTL. Caveat: I haven't heard any of these; my tube/solid state comparative listening has been restricted to the loudspeaker realm.

Dec 31, 2001 at 5:54 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by johnnylexus
most luxuriously liquid, warm, musical, sweet, enveloping set of cans out there?

I have to say a pair of unmodded Sony E888. Perhaps not the answer your looking for. Never heard a warmer and sweeter presentation from a pair of headphones in my life.

Fullsize? Sony CD1700 or Beyer 770/990. Only heard the 990.

HD600? Musical? Not in my book...

Dec 31, 2001 at 6:40 PM Post #13 of 29
out of what I tried

the rs-1/rs-2 cans with donut pads will produce exactly what you wanted in terms of a liquid sound due to coloration of the wood

However I find this is only with donut pads again....
with the bowl, it is still too sharp and harsh on the highs and the bass becomes very very punchy...

um...

I found the 580/600 to be cans where, the amp makes what the they completely sound like

so... for instance with a ra-1 amp, apparently it's a very fast good sounding can.

with the musical fidelity it's very smooth, a bit sharp on the top
and slower on the bass

Dec 31, 2001 at 9:01 PM Post #14 of 29
I think Hirsch pretty much hit the nail on the head with his description of the Clou cable. Your stock cable actually has plugs on them. You basically unplug them and the Clou just plugs in as a replacement. The only down side for the Clou is they are fairly stiff cables compared to stock cable but since you aren't normally moving around too much when your listening to your headphones, it shouldn't be an issue.

Dec 31, 2001 at 11:30 PM Post #15 of 29
If you find the HD600 to be "too sterile" and "edgy," then you definitely have a problem somewhere. The HD600 are definitely on the "warm" side of things, so there is no way they should sound sterile or edgy.

My guess is one of the following:

1) Insufficient amplification. But you have a Maxed Out Home, so that shouldn't be it.

2) Source problems. You have a 333ES, which has a lot of detail.

3) You just really like darker, warmer sound.

If #2, you could consider different cables (ICs or a Clou for your 600). If #3, then you might consider something like the Beyer DT770, which is definitely warmer/darker than the HD600 from all reviews I 've read.

P.S. There is no way a Grado 325 would please him if he finds HD600 to be sterile/edgy. Say what you will about the 325 as compared to other Grados (since there is some debate there), but they are definitely more edgy and less warm than the HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back